Suddenly She's Eating Her Poop!

Guest gr8greys

Guest gr8greys

Any comments, suggestions or known theories...

Ellie, who is almost 11, suddenly began eating her own feces tonight! I was simply stunned as she's never done this behavior. I told her "no" in a very firm voice and she came running back upstairs.

About 10 days ago she was admitted to the ER with a bacterial infection in her GI tract - it was pretty bad; blood in her diarrhea and she also vomited up blood. For a couple of days thereafter, she went to her own vet clinic and did 2 days of IV fluids. Since last Tuesday, she's been on the mend and I have to say I think since the weekend she's completely herself again. Up until yesterday, she was on a bland diet of rice, minced chicken or beef, cottage cheese and sometimes yogurt. She also recently finished her antibiotics.

I read somewhere that perhaps she isn't eating enough: I'm sure the bland diet wasn't as fulfilling as her normal diet. Another site said that too many carbs will suddenly trigger a dog to eat their own feces; she had rice/pasta for a week whilst on a bland diet.

Any thoughts? Has someone else experienced this with an adult dog that hadn't shown this behavior previously?

Always appreciate everyone's advice!

Best,

Irene

It seems to me that it is mostly a girl thing. That being said, Fuzzy had an experience with very bad diarrhea and I was told to withold food for 24 hours and then feed bland diet of chicken and rice. He ate Paul's poop the next day. He raced across the yard to get it. I thought he was hungry, but your theory about carbs would take play too.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

It's a "starving" thing. Blitz was doing it while recovering from his abdominal surgery. We started feeding him more often, and it pretty much stopped. He's doing it again now, but we're giving him prednisone for an eyelid thingy (the pred makes him hungry), and Carrie's poop smells "good" right now because we're feeding her whatever she will eat and she's not processing it as well as she could. Interestingly, he has never, to my knowledge, eaten poop from the dogs on the raw diet.

Edited by dmswartzfager

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest SoulsMom

I agree with a "they think they're starving" theory. My non-grey is a poop eater in the winter time, guess he thinks he needs to bulk up.

I also just went through bloody big D and hospitalization with Soul. His dx was HGE. First episode was in November and then he relapsed January 1st. Now he's on an all ID diet until we can figure out was is triggering the GI bleeding. Hope your sweetie feels better soon!

Guest SoulsMom

I've heard this works too, but please be very careful with what you give to a dog who has recently experienced internal GI bleeding. From what I went through with Soul I learned that it can go from bad to life threatening very fast. Until you know exactly what caused the bleeding I would carefully monitor what she eats. You are doing the right thing by keeping her on a tummy soothing diet until she is fully recovered. In fact, Soul is still on the intestional health diet and just might continue on it for the rest of his life.

I know you it was caused by "bacteria" but does you vet know that for sure or is it a guess? Were fecals and blood tests done? Bleeding of the GI tract can be caused by tons of things: worms, a virus, lymphoma, IBD, food intolerance, stress. Did you vet recommend a prescription diet at all? This might be the way to go for a little while at least. . . . .

Guest gr8greys

Thanks for ALL your thoughts...

The vet did extensive blood work on her when she was admitted, due to the fact that she's older, and they also did a fecal examination. They determined through that that it was a bacterial infection. My Border Collie went through a day of diarrhea as well whilst our Grey did, but we caught that quickly and had her on meds by that afternoon. The three dogs seem to all be fine now - thank goodness!

I've put all the dogs, since yesterday, back on their normal diet but I'm still putting a dollop of yogurt in their food.

I've put all the dogs, since yesterday, back on their normal diet but I'm still putting a dollop of yogurt in their food.

Are you doing the yogurt b/c of probiotics? A dollop of yogurt a day really isn't enough to do much, so you might consider a supplement.

Glad all of the pups are on the mend though. I bet the stool eating subsides once she's back to a usual weight and diet, but in the meantime, just picking up after her and/or using a muzzle is your best bet. If the stool eating doesn't go away, I might look into whether the infection was really cleared out or whether there are residual GI issues.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest gr8greys

Neyla's mom,

Yes, I just thought the yogurt may be soothing to their tummies and plus, they enjoy it :)

Thanks for your thoughts and I'll do as you suggest.

Best,

Irene