Jack's Acupuncture

We took Jack to his first acupuncture appointment today. He's got arthritis, and he's been on Previcox for that, but because he also has gastritis, we have to be very careful to keep the dose low and give him a few days off, a few days on, so he can deal with it. It's always a balancing act with the very old ones. *Sigh* And I know some of you are wondering whether acupuncture will help your dogs, so I thought it might be useful to have a report.

Jack recently did the splits and hurt himself and I was truly afraid he would never recover. He was falling down on his bottom when he tried to walk, very wobbly when he tried to stand, he sagged when he had to stand still, and for the first day he wouldn't poop - then he peed on the floor overnight. Jack has a cast-iron bladder. It was the first time he'd done such a thing that we could remember!

After a few days on Vetergesic and Previcox he had improved quite a lot, but we thought we'd get him some acupuncture to make him more comfortable, and try to help with getting some strength back - he wasn't walking much, presumably due to to pain.

I warned Sarah, the acupuncture vet, that he was a very nervous little dog who hated having strange people touch him pretty much anywhere behind the shoulders, and that we might bring him only to have him freak out and have to give up and go home, and we loaded Jack into the van and off we went.

So here he is. Jack and his acupuncture in pictures!

She asked for his harness to be taken off so he's just wearing his breakaway tag collar (lead through both D rings) and DH is holding him firmly for the first needles to go in.

'Hey, watcha doing back there?'

JackAcuO-Jan-800CJS.jpg

'Help! I'm sagging!!!' (At this point I was afraid that he was going to be terrified, and stay really tense ...)

JackAcOne-800CJS-Jan09.jpg

'Oh .. ! This isn't so bad!'

JackAcTwo-550-CJSJan09.jpg

(She's feeling for the right spot to put the next needle in)

'Hmm. Don't know what you're doing, but it feels kinda nice!'

JackAcThreeJan09-550.jpg

(Notice how DH has let the lead go loose, and Jack is completely relaxed about being stuck with needles)

Close up of the needles along his spine

JackAcFourCrop-800CJS-Jan09.jpg

'So, what? I guess I just sit here for a while?'

JackAcFive_Jan09-800CJS.jpg

And then it was time to start taking them out.

JackAcSix-800CJS.jpg

Jack had behaved impeccably!

He didn't bounce out of the vets as Jim had done after his first acupuncture appointment, but he slept peacefully all the way home, and came down the ramp a little easier when we got here. And then he asked to go out and he trotted up the garden! A real, normal, steady trot!

He's been sleeping pretty much all the evening, quite deeply and comfortably. It's too soon to know how much effect it's had, but I'm encouraged. We'll be going back again next week, and then we'll see how he does and how many treatments he'll need. Sadly, because he was a senior when we took him on, it wasn't possible to insure him, so the £50-odd pound each session costs will come straight out of the family coffers. :yikes Yeah, that's quite expensive ... but if it helps his wibbly back end, it will be worth every penny. :wub:

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Isn't wonderful how well they can do with acupuncture?

I, also, have a nervous dog. So much so that he starts to shake as soon as we pull up to the regular vet's office. And once he's in there his nails clack on the floor from him trembling so much!

But he's happy as can be to go to the acupuncture vet ;) It costs us quite a bit, too ($54 per round) but it's worth every penny as it helps his hind end weakness and general stiffness so much. We started out at 1/week and are now at 1/month. I couldn't be happier.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Good news and I love good news!!!!

Acupunture has been wonderful for Beau & Teddy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

It really helped my boy Tanner who would stand the whole time. Tanner would never lay down anywhere other than at home or in the car.

After about 10 min. I remember the needles were falling out which made me think we were going to have to start over, but the vet said they fall out because they're ready to fall out.

I will never understand the whole concept and the flow of energy and all that, but it works!!

Hoping you see continued improvement for your boy

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Wonderful news about Jack! Hope the improvement continues! Just to help it along, we're sending prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest vahoundlover

Good boy, Jack! :yay Boss always slept peacefully after a treatment. We used to joke that he was stoned :blush:lol Acupuncture did wonders for Bossy, I hope Jack does just as well :goodluck

Greyt pictures! I hope he does well with the acupuncture. Alan has improved with it. Last year at the first acupuncturist, the fee was $123.00 a session. Did that 6 times and then tried another vet. Now, I have someone who comes to the house for a lot less every 4-6 weeks or so.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Acupuncture has been a life-saver for Spencer! Unfortunately though, he hates it and isn't a good patient. But I persevere. My vet connects the needles to mild electrical stimuli machine which helps as well. I think though that's what Spencer hates, not so much just the needles. My vet also puts needles between his toes which he doesn't like. Sounds like a lot of things Spencer doesn't like but I can see such a difference in him that he will continue to go at $100 a visit!

Thanks for posting the pics and telling us about it. I am thinking of trying to get Lee to see an acupuncturist when I get some money. Money is really tight right now on unemployment but I have to keep my hopes up and my eyes open. Jack did really good to be a nervous dog. I have heard that it helps but didn't know exactly what was done.

Bravo Jack, you did great!!

What an excellent idea to take pictures! I hope Jack does well with the treatment.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

That's greyt news (& a very handsome boy :wub: ). My Faolin is the sort that won't lay down either. Doesn't help that the vet puts some needles in his knees, hocks & under his tail. :yikes But it definitely helps him feel better. Hope the same is true for Jack.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

sounds like it went well for him, that's so great!! :yay I don't know if your vet does this or not, but when Bailey had acupuncture the vet took this fat smoke stick looking thing and slighted heated up the needles (after they were already in) and that seemed to help even more...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Love the photos. What a handsome boy old Jack is! :wub: Hope the treatment proves beneficial.

My Indy, 11, is going for his third acupuncture treatment this weekend. He's a bit jumpy as well, so I wasn't sure if he would tolerate the treatment. Indy stands the entire time, but so far, so good.

I'm in Michigan and was fortunate to find a vet who offers the service (there are only a few who offer acupuncture around here). FYI - the initial visit was $80; subsequent treatments are $40. Seems very reasonable, comparatively speaking.

I've been very pleased with the results so far. I definitely vote "yes" on acupuncture!

I'm so glad Jack's doing well on the accupuncture.......it's marvelous the results!

I think animals instinctively know when they need a certain type of treatment.

Found that with the bach flower remedies too they knew which one they wanted by licking the bottle.

And noticed when my horse needed to detox she found herself some dandelions, thistles and young nettle shoot tips to eat.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Oh Jack! You are such a brave and very handsome little man! :wub::grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Judy, that's wonderful news! :yay I am so pleased it seems to be working for Jack. I have always been very skeptical of these kinds of procedures, so reading your posts was definitely refreshing :)

I hope your sweetie continues to improve! :goodluck

PS I LOVE his messy mouth :wub::beatheart:heart:wub:

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.