Greyhounds Playing In Water

I'm taking the pups hiking tomorrow along hte eastern shoreline in MD. My friends dog will without a doubt be going into the water to play, but she's a medium sized longer coated dog (we used to say border collie mix, but I think she's chesapeake bay retriever mix). Anyway, my question is, it will be in the 40's for highs - would you let your dog play in the water if they wanted to in that weather? I have a feeling they won't want to once they feel the water, but if they do, and it won't harm them, I'd like to let them. Zuri especially LOVES to retrieve in the water. Thoughts?

Or really, I guess the better question is have you in those conditions and did your dog make it out alive. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I wouldn't take a greythound under these conditions due to the lack of body fat. I don't have those conditions now, but did in "a former life". If you were talking about a pointer or retriever, that would be a different story. But a Greyhound? No.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest gr8greys

I think your dogs will probably decide not to go on their own. That's pretty darn cold for a Greyhound considering they have so little body fat. But then, my Grey will run around in the snow without her coat on and she loves it!

Have fun!

I think your dogs will probably decide not to go on their own. That's pretty darn cold for a Greyhound considering they have so little body fat. But then, my Grey will run around in the snow without her coat on and she loves it!

Have fun!

You would think but Zuri is hot blooded (joking aside, we have had some problems with him overheating in the summer) so I'm not so sure. Plus he's not the brightest. :P

I'm hesitant b/c of the low body fat too, but I don't totally get how dogs deal with water. It's not just body fat but fur that would factor in - how fast they dry, is their skin staying wet or just the outer fur, etc., right??? And they are still dogs (I think about the greys who get lost in this weather and they do manage the cold). Regardless, I think we'll just stay out of the water as planned to be safe.

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest EmilyAnne

I have found Henry gets both hot and cold easier than any other breed we have had. The fact that he does not handle heat well has not made him any better able to handle cold. It's like us skinny people, we are either hot or cold, we are rarely just right.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Mine went to the beach this week and it was fairly cold (mid 50's high, mid 40's low) which is actually pretty nice weather this time of year for us. Neither one of them went in past their tippy toes (and goofy Chelsa I am guessing has not been to the ocean before, she tried a sip of salt water before I could stop her and the reaction was hilarious, she spit it out and curled back her lips and looked at me like "Mom, what IS this horrid stuff?!")

I would not have let them wade very deep even if they wanted to, it was windy and pretty chilly. I try to use the idea that if I am too cold doing the same thing, they probably would be, too.

I think you're very sensible not to let them in the water. One time Sunny (who's also not the brightest :rolleyes: ) accidentally ran into the sea - it was like he didn't even realise it was there - right up to his neck. When we got him out he was shivering so violently I was really scared for him. Fortunately we had a couple of dog coats with us and were able to wrap him up in these until we got back to the car where we had some towels to dry him with. Now we always make sure we have towels as well as plenty of coats with us whenever we go to the beach.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I think you're very sensible not to let them in the water. One time Sunny (who's also not the brightest :rolleyes: ) accidentally ran into the sea - it was like he didn't even realise it was there - right up to his neck. When we got him out he was shivering so violently I was really scared for him.

:( Glad he was okay!

Others were right, Zuri had no interest, he just stayed along the edge of the water when his lab friend went in. :blink: (And I do mean in, he was swimming in the freezing cold bay!). But Zuri had a BLAST running on the beach with the lab and his other non-grey friend.