Jump to content

Scary Night...

Guest tricolorhounds

Recommended Posts

Guest tricolorhounds

Last night at about 9:30, my DD Katie had just gotten home from work. Copper was up on her bed, behind where she was sitting when all of a sudden she shouted out to me " somethings wrong with Copper." She had seen him shake for a second and then his right eye seemed to bulge out. He was still for a few minutes but then he tried to stand and if you can picture Bambi on the ice, all 4 legs went out from under him in 4 different directions.


He spent the next 30+ minutes totally disoriented, leaning at a 45 degree angle against the side of Katies bed and panting heavily. He panicked when we tried to get him to lay down. After speaking with Paula ( Greypuppyluv ) for a few minutes, trying to figure out what was wrong, we decided to take him to the E-Vet... ( Why does it seem emergencies only happen at night? ) It was quite stressful getting him go the car, even though we were supporting him with a towel under his belly, he lost footing, panicked and was flailing trying to get back up.


After about 10 minutes in the car, he started to calm down a bit... he laid down and stopped panting as hard. About 10 minutes later, I had to stop for gas, Copper started to become more aware of his surroundings, he moved to watch me walk to the cashier and then turned again to watch as I pumped the gas...


When we got to the E-Vet, he was a lot steadier on his feet and of course, by the time the Vet came in, he was neurologically back to normal, gait, eyes, breathing and heart. We left the Vet at 12:30am, Copper walked out on his own and was able to jump up into the Sequoia. We stopped at In and Out for cheeseburgers on the way home.


The Vet said that what we described was a seizure and that the recovery time for seizures can sometimes take up to 2 hours.


Keeping my :goodluck that this never happens again.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest BradyzMommy

Hugs to you, Katie and Copper. Hopfeully it won't happen again. Maddi had a couple sometime back and they haven't happen agin. :grouphug

And yes, it is true; emergencies only happen at night. All of ours seem to happen on Sunday nights. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, how scary! So glad he seems to be okay...of course, now you have to worry that he will fake a seizure so he can get some more In 'n Out :lol



Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow! How scary was that? Except for the bulging eye and disorientation, Cooper's seizure sounded like what turned out to be a panic attack that my first girlie-girl had the first time I attempted to trim her nails which was about 2 weeks after she adopted us. It took some investigating, but I later found out that she had the same reaction the first time she was turned out with the other dogs at the adoption kennel. She was a bounce - 7 years old. Never happened again, thank goodness! Let's hope it never happens to Cooper again!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How scary!!! I saw something on TV a couple weeks ago. It was a program that had a disabled woman and her guide dog. Her dog could tell when a seizure was coming. He would alert her and she would drink water to hydrate to keep it from happening. I wonder if hydration plays a role in the dogs seizures???


We will keep our fingers crossed that this was the only one Copper will have.

The Girls

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you called me and told me what was happening with Copper, it was frustrating trying to figure out what was going on. I'm surprised the vet said it was a seizure, but I'm just glad it wasn't something worse. Poor Copper......hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sending prayers this was an isolated event. Record any seizure activity in a diary...also if anything was out of the ordinary that could stress your baby. Angel Cody Angelo had a very bad seizure...we rushed him in and they did labs...and watched him. He never had another one for over 2 years...then he started having them regularly and was put on meds....he did well. :grouphug


Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest lynne893

we had a foster, picasso, last fall who was epileptic. we didn't know this when we agreed to foster him, and he was a bounce, so i suspect his previous owners returned him to the rescue b/c of this, but didn't have the kindness and courage to tell the rescue.


anyways, when he seized (grand mal) for the first time, holy s(%&@)* was it frightening. We'd never seen anything like it.


he had three seizures that we know of in the month that we had him, and because of DH's and my lifestyle, we simply weren't the right "parents" for him, unfortunately. he's now in another foster home, and apparently doing very well on meds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest EmilyAnne

Yes, that definately sounds like a seizure. Sometimes post-ictal can be worse than the seizure itself. I am all too familiar with the attempting to stand up after a seizure and falling all over like Bambi. It's heartbreaking to watch them struggle like that and be so confused and paniced. :sad1 The body overheats during Grand-Mal, so that's why they pant and pace after. The pacing is like cool down exercise. I never try to stop Henry from post-ictal pacing. Make sure you turn the heat down a bit when he seizes, and offer water. I believe room temperature water absorbs fastest, and I give smaller amounts of water after, as I am afraid of Henry inhaling the water. Also, extra meal afterwards, again, in small divided amounts so they don't inhale it.


Take heart, if he has anymore, meds can give fantastic control. Henry used to have a Grand-Mal every 8 days. Since he started meds 110 days ago, he has not had a single Grand-Mal. Do you know about the ice pack? You can read about it here~ http://healthyhoundz.blogspot.com/2008/08/...-grand-mal.html The ice pack is not fool proof though, sometimes it does not work. Read bottom of that blog entry for how well it worked for Henry. Ice pack des not replace meds.


Hopefully this wll be just a one time event. :grouphug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...