A Miracle In Philadelphia

Guest greytmonty

Guest greytmonty

I cannot even fully digest the information I received this afternoon, starting with this email from Dr. Marin at OSU: (you may remember Monty's pathology reports were all in disagreement with each other and our onco vet wanted IHC testing done, which OSU did this week for free):

Hi Karen, we have good news!!

Dr. Couto and Dr. Weisbrode (one of the pathologist) review Monty’s slide, they both called it Plasma cell tumor, which is a benign tumor. When plasma cell tumors are completely excised, the prognosis is good, and further chemo is not needed.

I am ccing Dr. Couto in case you have specific questions for him.

Please keep us posted.

I then forwarded it to Dr. Overley who called me in 2 minutes and then called Dr. Couto one minute later. Here is her email:

Dr. Couto is VERY confident it is a plasma cell tumor. He said their pathologist diagnosed it on low power as one, which means he was really confident. You can request to have the slides sent here, and I would try to have them reviewed at Penn or just look myself (though not a pathologist), but I would go with their diagnosis. I would not treat Monty with chemotherapy in that case, particularly since he is a young dog. I would clear up the infection and return in one month for an ultrasound to recheck the draining lymph nodes and the incision site. This is because the draining nodes were enlarged before. It takes awhile for them to decrease in size after an infection. Certainly, it's work bringing him in for a check up in 2 weeks, but that would mostly be if there were other problems.

The bottom line is that it often pays to question things which don't seem to be what one expects. It didn't behave like a high grade LSA or like a cutaneous LSA does. I will still look to see who the original pathologist was. I assume he diagnosed from the same slides? It might be worth calling Antech, explaining that two other pathologists reviewed the case and achieved a different diagnosis, and asking Antech if their pathologists could re-review the slides and achieve a consensus there. They should do that for free.

But bottom line is that I am going with the diagnosis of plasma cell tumor. It's still a rare and odd tumor, but it is benign most of the time. Based on the information I have, I would submit the slides for path review before continuing any chemotherapy, and I would still do an ultrasound to check the lymph nodes in one month. Hope this helps?

Beth

I am crying, in shock, cannot believe it, so happy, sad for all he has been through.

To quote a movie line, "I don't know whether to sh-- or go blind".

Sorry for the crude reference.

I am in shock.

THANK GOD FOR DR. COUTO AND OSU.

Edited by greytmonty

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, just wow! Terrific news!

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Oh Karen, how utterly fabulous. Monty deserves that diagnosis more than words can express. I too am trying tears of happiness for you and Monty.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am dancing around here with Minnie, we are SOOOOOOOO Happy for you!!!!

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Yay for Monty, Yay for you, and Yay for Dr Couto and his team at OSU.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

OH........MY.........God!!!!!

Can you fricken believe this. I can't even put into words how I feel

Monty FINALLY caught his break!!!

:offwall:offwall:offwall:offwall:offwall:offwall:offwall:offwall:offwall

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

:yay:confetti :confetti :confetti:yay

Great News!

Yes !!!!! Woo HOO !!!!! :confetti

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

OMG! What fantastic news! I am soooooooooooo happy for you and Monty!

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest BoogieDown

I'm speechless. Just when it seemed like Monty was never going to catch a break... maybe he was just saving it up to catch the biggest break of all! We'll keep hoping for continued good news. Hugs to all of you.

I am utterly speechless. Can't talk. Can't believe this! How totally and completely AMAZING!!!!

:confettipost-12551-1216418977.giflovedance.gifgreenstars.giftreethingdance.gifpost-12551-1216418977.gif:bananapost-12551-1216418977.gif

Tears of joy!!!!!! I am so, so happy and relieved for you and for Monty, Karen. I have been quite sad tonight, this news is the best I could ever get today. Oh. My. Gosh.

:) :) :) :) :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

OMG, Karen, I'm so happy for you and Monty!!!!! Holy crap. :yay:yay:yay:yay:yay

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire