Butch Osteo Diagnosis Still Pending

Guest LovesDoggies

Guest LovesDoggies

Last week, I posted about Butch's potential bone cancer diagnosis: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=221598

I had the original x-rays sent to Dr. Couto at OSU. Today, one of the drs from OSU suggested that I have additional x-rays taken. They said the bone is definitely not normal, but they want more screens of his chest and leg in order to make a diagnosis.

I'd like to be able to e-mail the x-rays to them, but I called a vet hospital here (much larger than my vet's office) and even they don't do digital x-rays. I will probably bring Butch to my vet tomorrow to have add'l views taken and then fed-ex them tomorrow afternoon.

If it's not Osteo, then I have no idea what it could be instead?

Some of the fungal diseases (blastomycosis, histoplasmosis, etc.) can produce Weird Bone Things, as well as distinctive lung lesions in some cases.

Could also be some type of bone infection.

Whereabouts are you located?

Keeping your pupper in my prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LovesDoggies
Some of the fungal diseases (blastomycosis, histoplasmosis, etc.) can produce Weird Bone Things, as well as distinctive lung lesions in some cases.

Could also be some type of bone infection.

Whereabouts are you located?

Keeping your pupper in my prayers.

Thank you for your response. I'm guessing it's not an infection because there was nothing off in his bloodwork (CBC and Superchem).

I'm in Connecticut . . .

Guest LovesDoggies

OK, I had asked the dr. what the other possible diagnoses are, and she said that it is most likely bone cancer, and that they need more x-rays before making treatment decisions. I was really thinking that it could be something else, but now I am not.

It likely is, but never say never. If the docs at OSU had been 100% sure of what it was, they'd've said so.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Not to be a downer, but it could be another type of bone tumor. Tyler had one in his leg - clearly a tumor-looking spot on X-rays, but not with the classic sunburst pattern. I ended up just driving him to OSU so they could do whatever tests they needed. It was diagnosed as malignant histiocytosis. I tried to find my old topics about Tyler, but it looks like they've been pruned.

Edited by dmswartzfager

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest greydogluvr
It likely is, but never say never. If the docs at OSU had been 100% sure of what it was, they'd've said so.

I just went through this same scenario with Willie. I too did not have a definitive diagnosis. I sent digital x-rays to Dr. Couto, my primary vet and the oncologist. They we still unsure. They performed a needle aspiration which also was inconclusive. Additionally, we had a bone scan done and still no definiatve diagnosis. Because I had no definitive diagnosis I took the "wait and see" approach. He was on pain meds (tramadol) for about 1-2 weeks with herbal treatments and laser treatments. This lasted only until I heard him cry in pain one time. The next day even without a diagnosis, we scheduled the amputation. The biopsy did come back as osteo. I am telling you this because sometimes you just have to follow your heart. Willlie told me in his own way what I needed to do to help him live his life free of pain. Good Luck and PM me if you need to talk. The uncertainty was the most difficult time for all of us.The amputation and chemo thus far have been without incident. Hang in there. You are in my thoughts.

Sending prayers and chanting....miracles can happen. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

One thing that you can do to speed things up is to take a digital photo of the x-rays and email them. They come out pretty well. You need to put them up on the vets view box and just take a pic with your digital camera---I would still send the orginials but, at least they could get a peek of them before they arrive Fed Ex.

A friend's grey was preliminarily diagnosed with OS but it wasn't... something had eaten away the bone in her wrist. Now they think it was a weird auto-immune disease which USUALLY only occurs in puppies and USUALLY is in all 4 legs. But she (at 5) had it only in one.

So there ARE other things besides OS... unfortunately OS is the most likely

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge