Slo In Greys

Guest Redheadsusie

Guest Redheadsusie

My 6 Year old Grey has lost all of his nails but 2 and has been suffering with this for months. Everything the vet and I have read tells us it is SLO. We now have him on holisitic fish food (whichis giving him the runs and bad gas) - Fish Oil, Vitamin E, Niaminicide and Doxycycline. Any help from anyone ont his topic would be greytly appreciated. The new Dermatologist Vet wants to amputate his toe for firm diagnosis and I will not do that for them to say "Well Yes- He does have it". I am more into holistic treatment- he has been thru enough in his life! Thanks from Extreme's Mom!

I went through this with Misty, and in the end, it wasn't SLO, it was due to her thyroid.

Unless I'm mistaken, to dx it, they don't amputate the toe, they take a piece of bone however I was told that it's very rarely ever done.

I've heard that vitamin E helps but it has to be in high doses. I'm hoping that MomOfSweetPotatoe sees this because she was a wealth of info for me, and also Suzanne Stack has an excellent article on SLO and I'm sorry I don't know how to post a link.

My little girl had all her nails removed and so far are all growing back in good shape yet very slowly.

I have also been told that the holistic treatment for SLO is as beneficial as the traditional treatment.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Greyhound Gang has medical info on the site. There is info about SLO/Pemphigus. Toenails falling off is definitely it. Holistic care is the best way to fix this. IMO.

You can also purchase the booklet - Dr. Stack the Deck for Greyt Health - a compliation of articles by Dr. Stack. It's currently 10% for $3.60, and it's perfect to give to your vet after you read it. There is her article on Pemphigus in it. Her articles are also available at Greyt Health too.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Dont' amputate a toe. NO, no. If you need to amputate, do the dew claw. But, why? Treat it as if it is SLO and work from there. The regimen you are using is correct, or there is one with a low dose of prednisone.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Hi, Sue.

I'm glad you're here!!

Did you get my email earlier with the link to the Greyhound Gang's website and the other one?

Let me know how he's doing and if you need anything!

Sheila

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest Redheadsusie

Sheila- Yes thanks- I wrote you back a bit ago to say thanks! Thank you for all of your help and for the nice people here too! Extreme is lucky to hvae people who care about him and his funky feet! :rolleyes:

Sorry your pup has SLO--while not curable it is treatable. My boy was taking EFA's, B-3 and Tetracycline and with bad flair-ups a short course of Pred. Eventually he was taken off the Tetra/B-3 and put on Pentoyifylline (Trental)--is not expensive and it worked just as well. I would not have the biopsy done---I would treat as if it SLO and if the treatment works, wonderful and if you don't see improvement well, then you go on to step 2.