Spay Question.........

Guest houndlover

Guest houndlover

I know that after a dog is spayed the outer stitches are removed but there is usually an additional set of sutures under the skin. Has anyone ever seen the stitches that are under the skin start to poke through the skin? My foster dog was spayed in November and her belly is completely healed. When I got her a month ago, our vet checked her out and said that she had an irritation from one of the knots on the stitches under the skin.....it now looks like the knot has somehow poked through the skin. Am I going crazy......Is this even possible?

Yep.

Some of the suture material is meant to dissolve, and sometimes it doesn't. One of my vets says he's seen this in greyhounds more than once. Including in Joseph (who wasn't spayed but who had abdominal surgery).

Your vet can probably tweak out the offending piece of stitch in a minute or two, no fuss, no muss.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yup! Actually there are a few layers of sutures--sometimes one or more of the internal sutures work their way out (vets call it "spitting a stitch") Internal sutures are supposed to dissolve (some in about 6 months) but, they don't always. Bring your pupper to the vet--they should be able to remove it for you w/o much difficulty.

Guest houndlover

"Spitting stitches"????? :lol:lol

I'm glad to know that I am not going crazy. It doesn't seem to bother her and it doesn't look infected. I will call the vet tomorrow to see when they can look at her. Would they just snip off the part that is coming through the skin and hope that the rest of the suture doesn't come back through the skin?

Oh...and here's a pic of the beautiful girl that I am talking about. Zienta..........

MA315_12610577-1-x.jpg