Is This Weird? Drinking Lots Of Water At Night.....

It seems like Cofax is starting to drink more after dinner. I only give her around a cup of water at a time because she'll drink a gallon if I let her! Not sure if it's just the dry air in the house or if I should let the vet know? I swear sometimes I seem to fill it 4 or more times in a hour!

This of course makes the other end work more too! I'm gonna start to potty train her on the toilet pretty soon! Especially when it's 1 deg outside like it was the other day!

The rest of the day and at night after we go nite nite - she's fine! Between 4 & 9 or 10 ...... water hazzards :blink:

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .

1 - so I can see how much she drinks and 2- because the more you give - the more she drinks

increase only after dinner.........

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

Guest Greensleeves

If you're restricting water during the day, chances are by evening SHE'S THIRSTY! See if you can even out how much she's getting during the day.

You could also leave a full bowl of water down at all times through the day, and then pull it up after dinner.

Do you feed her once a day or twice? How much do you feed? Have you changed dog food (or amount given) recently?

A gallon+ of water at one time is a tad on the excessive side even if there might be causes such as different dog food and/or dry air. I would probably make an appointment with the vet. If I remember correctly, diabetes will cause excessive drinking.

No restriction........ bowl empty - gets filled................ it's 6:19 and out twice, bowl 4 times.

If I fill the bowl - or if it's just a cup of water...... it'll get finished just the same and just as often....... don't want too much water at once - she throws up then........ we went through that already when we first got her!

Do you feed her once a day or twice? How much do you feed? Have you changed dog food (or amount given) recently?

A gallon+ of water at one time is a tad on the excessive side even if there might be causes such as different dog food and/or dry air. I would probably make an appointment with the vet. If I remember correctly, diabetes will cause excessive drinking.

feed twice (sometimes 3times) per day........ did change a little to potato/fish from Pet pantry from their chichen but that was over a month ago...........

she never gets a gallon of water - that was just a comment to say if I did she's drink it.

I agree about the diabetes............ but wouldn't she drink more all day long instead of just at night?

Maybe I'll try keeping a mini diary......

Tina, that is what Zema used to do. Vet and I went nuts trying to figure out what was wrong. Blood tests, urine tests, blood pressure, etc. Sometimes she had a UTI, sometimes not. I switched her to no-salt homecooked food (we tried prescription low-salt but that did not work) and no more problems. Pricy, but worth it for us.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No salt........... http://www.naturalpetpantry.us/Dog_Info.html she gets the fish blend which isn't listed........ I''ll have to ask if there's any salt....... they don't list it.

Guest oldNELLIE

Nellie also drinks much more water at night, I always thought it was because she limits herself during the day when we are not home and she can't go out. Are dogs that smart? :)

She sometimes seems a bit obsessive about drinking water, once she starts she drinks and drinks. If it is late, we gently try to distract her by calling her name or picking up a toy if it starts to go on for a long time. She will always drink some after she eats, or after she goes out (even if it just a short pee break) but sometimes she just goes for the water and will drink it down. If it is before 7:00pm or so I just let her have at it. It is so dry in the winter I guess she needs to hydrate too!

(She has a normal sized large dog bowl, I would guess there is maybe 3-4 cups at a time in it, but it does evaporate in our dry house, so I am never sure exactly how much is in there. I have been filling it up much more often though!)

No salt........... http://www.naturalpetpantry.us/Dog_Info.html she gets the fish blend which isn't listed........ I''ll have to ask if there's any salt....... they don't list it.

All of the foods on that page do list salt as an ingredient. It's pretty much a requirement for a balanced pet food to have some salt.

Really an odd thing. Turns out I can (and have) fed Zema a small amount of iodized table salt, and that doesn't bother her. I can also feed her a comprehensive multivitamin, and that doesn't bother her either. It could be something else in commercial food, but I sure don't know what.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.