I Think My Pup Is Sick

Guest BroccsMom

Guest BroccsMom

I'm still pretty new at owning a greyhound, or any other dog for that matter so please forgive me if this is a thing I am excessively worrying about. I've only had Brocc since July. We've always had problems with loose stools but only occasionally had a run in with soup poo.

Yesterday morning the poor guy had completely soupy poop. I started to take him inside but when we were half way there he turned around and start yanking me back to the pooping area where he went again. He's never gone twice in the same outing. Luckily I was off all day yesterday so I was able to take him out a couple more times with the same result. Last night as I was getting my gear on to take him out, he peed on the floor. I figured he's just out of wack since it's crazy cold right now, so I finished getting my stuff on, bundled him up, and we went out where he practically raced to the poop area again and had pretty explosive diarrhea. My DH took him out again before he came to bed around 10, and at 11:30 he woke us up (which he never does) crying so DH took him out and just *barely* made it. More big D. This happened again at 2:30am this morning.

Since we've never had a problem with of this caliber before, I was wondering if there's something I need to give him to help or if I should take him to the vet. He has been on extra food restrictions (including raw hides, bully sticks, and even treats) to try to firm things back up, so he hasn't had anything but his normal dog food. I'm starting to get worried because I can't imagine having poops like this for this long can be good for him.

Any advice for a newbie?

Guest SoulsMom

Fast him for 24hrs and then put him on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a few days, then slowly add back in his regular food.

Also, make sure there is no blood in the poop. If you start to see blood things can get very bad very quickly and he'll need to see a vet ASAP.

Guest SoulsMom

Isn't there a way to check for dehydration? By pressing on the gums, and if the color doesn't come back right away then he is in fact dehydrated?

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest oldNELLIE

I think I would take Nellie to the vet if I was in your situation (which I was by the way, just about 6 months into owning her :rolleyes: ). Now that we know her better I might wait it out if I wasn't seeing any blood. Dehydration is a very real concern, though, so we would always mix Nellie's bland diet with a little warm water or chicken broth to make sure she was getting extra liquid. Nell is very food oriented though, so it was never hard to get her to eat, even if her belly was off.

The vet should also have a food called Hills I/D which is a super bland but balanced food. We have used this on and off with Nellie over the months with success. It might be worth calling your vet to at least ask him about it.

Guest greytmonty

I would go to the vet today. While you can treat for the effects of the diarrhea at home, you want to know the underlying cause. Also the vet will have good tummy meds to help.

I would suggest taking Brocc to the vet along with a fecal sample (yep, I know, gross). Better to have it checked out and figure out what is going on sooner than later.

Good luck.

I definitely agree with bringing the fecal sample - it usually takes them a day to run the tests but it may give you quick answers - that way if it is something simple they can get you meds right away. Definitely watch for dehydration, lots of extra fluid helps. Hoping it's just a flu bug and that Brocc is feeling better soon. Sending hugs and scritches.