Griffin Has Thrown Up 10x In 8 Hours

Guest GriffinsMom

Guest GriffinsMom

My poor boy has been throwing up from 11:00pm last night to 20 minutes ago. The first few times there was a small amount of undigested food and the last few times only bile and slime. I just had him outside and he threw up foam. He has not had a bowel movement since last night.

Ava and Griffin are fed raw and Ava is fine. The only thing that Griffin got yesterday that Ava did not wan an Ibuprofin at about 1:00pm because of the arthritis in his shoulders was bothering him.

He is now whining for breakfast in true chow hound manner. I still need to feed Ava but Griffin will pitch a fit if he gets nothing. Would it be ok for his tummy if I scrambled an egg for him?

***** Griffins tummy was making a lot of noise after breakfast and he refused a cookie so I know he was not feeling that well this morning. I stayed home as I just could not leave him with such an uncertain tummy. He is doing much better this evening. He enjoyed his afternoon walk, played with Ave, ate the food recommended by the vet and his tummy is still quiet. He seems to be back to normal...well normal for my "speshal" boy". Thank you all for your good wishes for his recovery. They were very much appreciated.

Griffin is at the vet now. He has been given medication to calm his stomach and is on an IV for rehydration. I will pick him up later this afternoon. The vet did not think that there were any other problems but will call me at 2:00pm Pacific Time with an update. Thank you all.

That's the last time I listen to my brother about anything dog related. When I was visiting him yesrterday he told me that he has been giving his black lab, Luke, Ibuprofin for artritis pain for a year and that it helps tremendously. I called my brother and told him to stop giving Luke the pills and he agreed. Luke has never had a side effect from taking the pills. Luck or a fantastic constitution?

The vet called and said Griffin is doing really well. I can pick him up this evening. He will be on three medications for his stomach for 5 days and will need a special, bland food, for 3 days then back to his normal diet. If he is eating, drinking, eliminating, and not vomiting once he is home then he does not need to go back to the vet. If any of those thing is not normal, back he goes tomorrow morning. And I do trust the Greytalk family to give ecellent advise.

Edited by GriffinsMom

Vet. Now. Ibuprofen is really not good for dogs and can cause some serious side effects.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys
Vet. Now. Ibuprofen is really not good for dogs and can cause some serious side effects.

Agreed throwing up 10X in such a short amount of time is NOT good.

Vet asap

Guest EnzaFerrari

I say vet visit is needed ASAP, or at least a phone call. Enza throws up often, but its mainly just after she eats or a car ride. If it was that much, we'd be at the vet right now.

The ibuprofen may have contributed to the vomiting: read here

That's a lot of vomiting and I would be worried about dehydration. Has he been able to keep water down?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Non-buffered aspirin can be given to a dog but not Ibuprofen or Tylenol. Please take him to the vet and update us on his progress.

Sending prayers that he will be okay soon.

With that much vomiting in such a short period of time, plus the fact that he had an ibuprofen, this is an emergency. Get him to a vet right away.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

glad that he's there and seems to be okay. hopefully he'll be as good as new after being rehydrated!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Did the vet do bloodwork? I'd want to make sure his liver & kidney function is OK. Glad to hear he's stable & hoping he's home & hungry tonight.

BTW, only trust your greytalk family - we've got ALL the answers! ;):lol

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Drafters

Sounds like an eventful morning! :grouphug Hope he is doing well now. You've obviously found out now that ibuprofen is not a good idea, but I understand you wanting to give him something to help the pain. Ask your vet about giving him Glucosamine for the joint problems. I have my grey on glucosamine and it has helped his lame leg tremendously, and my vet said it would help with arthritis in the future. It will take a few weeks or more, so you won't see immediate results, but it will help!

Thanks for taking him in. GreyTalk is an excellent source when it comes to information on greyhounds. I joined before I had adopted my first greyhound which is Molly. Bless his little heart. I hope he feels better soon.

So glad that you came to GT for answers and so glad that Griffin is feeling better! Sending prayers and healing thoughts that he improves steadily.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest GreyLoverGirl

Hope Griffin is doing better. I thought I would throw in my comment. Glad he went to the vet and to confirm, ibuprofen is not good for dogs. Has he eaten anything strange? I had a Jack Russel that ate glass from a broken window... and that started causing the bile/ foam throwup. But, more recently, I went through the experience of my grey getting salmon poisoning. Which, makes me think I should post what I learned from that experience.

So, if he doesn't proceed in getting better, quickly, I would ask the vet for blood test and check kidneys.

Best wishes to Griffin!

Poor Griffin! I'm sending prayers he will be back to his normal self shortly. Coming home and snuggling with Mom always helps too.

Sally ate a bottle of Aleve and that wasn't good. After the vet, she still had issues if she ate too fast for several weeks. I would feed her a piece of bread slowly torn up into pieces, or handfuls of cooked white rice-I would try to take 5 min to do it. Then I would wait about 15 minutes and then hand feed her kibble, trying to take 5-10 min instead of her 30 second hoover. This helped a lot, but if I didn't do the routine she would vomit every time within about 10 minutes.

So maybe her experience might help Griffin. The key is bland food, lots of carbs and slow feeding until his tummy liner has time to heal.

Edited by fritofeet