In Denial Over Coughing...

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

When Wizard was diagnosed with heart disease and put on Enalapril about 6 months ago, the vet warned us that once he began coughing, the prognosis wasn't good. At the time, we didn't think he ever coughed. Then we noticed he did when eating and drinking fast--we rationalized that as normal. But lately I'm noticing a cough after jumping at a toy etc, once in a while.

I'm beginning to think we've been in denial.

But I can't remember if there's anything they can do for him. I should be calling them, but I feel better posting here first.

Can anyone offer me any hope?

Just prayers....and :bighug

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Tenderhearts

Coughing usually indicates a buildup of fluids, especially in the lungs, which a diuretic like furosemide (lasix) will help with.

My old lab mix Raven, now closer to 16 years of age than 15, was only given 1 year max on the heart meds (enalapril and furosemide), and she passed the 3 1/2 year mark in November.

Guest Jennifer4719
Coughing usually indicates a buildup of fluids, especially in the lungs, which a diuretic like furosemide (lasix) will help with.

My old lab mix Raven, now closer to 16 years of age than 15, was only given 1 year max on the heart meds (enalapril and furosemide), and she passed the 3 1/2 year mark in November.

I agree, that the coughing usually is related to fluid buildup. Lasix can help.

Guest SusanP

Wizard is only 8. :( He isn't acting sick or anything...but it sounds like something like diuretics could bring him some relief. Tenderhearts, thanks for the glimmer of hope!

Guest Tenderhearts
Wizard is only 8. :( He isn't acting sick or anything...but it sounds like something like diuretics could bring him some relief. Tenderhearts, thanks for the glimmer of hope!

Raven was my oldest daughter's dog and let me tell you, she was in such bad shape the last time she was dropped off, I said that was it, and she would stay here until she passed away. She was emaciated, coughing, poor appetite, dry dull coat, and flea-ridden. Her congestive heart failure was already so advanced that the vet felt a year was a high estimate on how long she would last once started on the meds.

The difference with just two days on the medications was astounding.

The old gal is pretty frail, but her spirit is strong. She eats like a piggly wiggly, sasses me when she needs to go out, takes her meds like a trooper in peanut butter, and is the best dressed senior citizen in town. :wub:

Guest onedollar

My boy ( 8 ) has heart disease also. He has taken Enalapril for over a year. The cough has been there since the beginning, sometimes worse and we notice it more, sometimes not. We were told we could also give him Lasix if the coughing got worse, and of course his meds could be adjusted. We haven't needed it so far thank goodness.

If you think he is getting worse, call your vet. Do they want to see him for a re-check? I have to take Dollar in every 6 months.

Guest SusanP

Actually, he's due for bloodwork within the month (the heart problem had been affecting his kidneys). It's not like he's coughing all the time or anything; it's just that I'm hearing *some* coughing, whereas we believed there was none before. Maybe I'll just make an appt for a check and bloodwork in the next week.

My Pearl was diagnosed with heart disease and hypertension 5 yrs ago. She was give 2-3 yrs.

She's now 11 and shows no signs of slowing down. She's on a plethura of meds (also for the hypertension) enalapril and lasix being some of them.

If you haven't already, I would suggest going to a cardiologist.

Good luck.

There is also a newish drug, Vetmedin, which can do wonders with congestive heart failure, if Enalipril and Lasix aren't doing the trick.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

We had a Dalmatian with a heart condition that was coughing sometimes. He was placed on enalapril and furosemide and did much better. There were occasional bouts of coughing, especially after exercise, but he did 100% better with the medication. He eventually passed away at the age of 15 but was on the medication for 4 years without any problems - it absolutely extended his life.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Sending more prayers...please let us know what the new plan is. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Praying :hope and sending hugs :grouphug of comfort. Please update when you can.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Another vote for furosemide. Our Dally was diagnosed at 11 with major heart issues and she passed at 14.5, not by her heart. The rest of her body was just giving up on her. We were lucky to get a good cardiologist.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I agree coughing will be due to fluid building up in the lungs if the hearts weaker than a normal one...........the fruisamide (water tablets) helps with this, although toilet visits will be more frequent. Gentle exercise helps as it stops the fluid settling, my Rosie used to cough in the mornings after sleeping during the night.

The good news was she lived on medication until she was 14 years old and had a heart condition for a number of years prior but it didn't stop her having a fun filled life on medication, I can honestly say I have never met a happier dog than Rosie was.

Just enjoy each day for what it is......

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest jerrybird

A neighbours 12 year old grey was recently diagnosed with a cardiac cough and fluid build up and is on Vetmedin. The old gal seems quite happy, tired but happy.

As others have said, a diuretic will help with the build up of fluid that causes the coughing....but I mostly just wanted to send my best wishes...I lost one of my bridge kids to CHF, unfortunately he was misdiagnosed as having kennel cough and by the time we got the right diagnosis it was already too late to help him. :grouphug:grouphug

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Thanks for all the insight--Wizard has a vet appt in about a week. I haven't heard any more coughing since I posted. I won't be as afraid going in, thanks to all of you.