Large Piece Of Beefhide Chew Swallowed

Guest imjustvick

Guest imjustvick

I am a new Greyhound mommy since March 2008. Previously I had 3 dogs. All different breeds and none of them greyhounds. They had their issues and problems but I had raised them from puppies so knew them very very well. I know that dogs can be unpredictable even when you raise them from puppies and you think you know them like the back of your hand.

My first grey was Lucky a 4 year old male who was in foster care for 7 months. When I adopted him through the GPA DE his foster family had a nice little history compiled for me detailing his personality, actions, givings and misgivings. Even though it wasn't an exact outline of who he really was, it was a big help. I adopted him to be a companion for my almost 14 year old German Shepherd, Sage. He was great. He didn't really bother her which was good because she was an old girl suffering from what I thought was arthritis. Unfortunately, I had to make the horrible yet humane decision to put her down on 9/16/08. I miss her so much. Her and I had a connection like E.T. and Elliot. Alas, now Lucky was alone and I couldn't bear the thought of that so I fostered a female named Sadie. I would like to think that Sage sent her to me. Sadie and Sage have the same birthday. Sage would have been 14 on October 23rd and Sadie turned 3.

Unlike Lucky, Sadie hadn't been in foster care that long and didn't come with all of the useful information that Lucky had. Still, I fell in love with her. I am having some issues with her. She seems to be very aggressive when playing with the boys, Lucky and her new Greyhound cousins and my granddogs, Mario and JJ. We did have an incident of injury inflicted by her and therefore she is always muzzled to prevent any further accidents. She hates that muzzle and I hate it just as much having to put it on her. My problem with her is that she is somewhat aggressive when I give her a chew toy. I gave her a beefhide roll today and while she was eating it, I tried petting her and getting near her so she wouldn't be territorial with it, however, she kept running from me and would stop chewing and give me a weird look. I was afraid to take it from her and when I tried to lure it away from her, she swallowed a large piece whole. Now I am afraid that it might not pass. I know the classic signs of a blockage and am keeping an eye on her but wondering other than taking her to the dr., if there is something I can do to possibly help her to pass it naturally.

I don't mean to sound cheap and maybe there are a lot of others out there that are in the same situation that I am in. Money is really really tight right now and I am barely making it. I don't go anywhere nor do I buy anything other than for my dogs. I am afraid of what might happen if either one needs some costly procedure. I would gladly go without my own meds to take care of my dogs first which may sound stupid but that is what I would do. What do you do when you can no longer afford costly vet bills that are always a possibility no matter what breed you have. I don't want to give up my dogs.

Any suggestions with the aggression and possessiveness of chew toys and the possibility of ways to help her pass the piece of beefhide would be great.

Thank you all. I love reading your postings.

Edited by imjustvick

I had a little westie that ate things she wasn't supposed to and the vet told me to give her cat hairball remedy every hour on the hour to help it slide thru. She only weighed about 8 - 10 pounds and I just gave her about a teaspoonful. I would use almost an entire tube of the hairball remedy. Of course, it results in the big D, but better that than the alternative.

Connie

If it went down, it will likely come back up the same way. That's what happens around here. It might take a day or two but I would bet you'll see it again.

As far as the aggression goes, it's always better to trade the chew for a higher value treat - stinkier and wetter usually, like cold cuts, liverwurst, or anything else she thinks is really yummy. This is the way to do it if you have any question you can take anything away from her. Get her attention and lure her away from the chew with the better thing and then quickly (before she can return to the chew) pick up the chew. Same with toys, though taking a toy away is different than a chew.

If she's aggressive with her mouth when she plays with other dogs, the best thing to do is muzzle her and always supervise her interactions with other dogs. She may get better with this issue as she hasn't really been with you that long after all. You can correct her behavior by diverting her attention with treats or by using the Voice Of God for a verbal correction (a loud Uh-Uh, or other harsh sound, not a word like "no") when she gets too mouthy with her playmates.

It's always hard when you have to make decisions about your pets's health care and many here have gone through exactly what you're thinking about now. I would just say that if this does become an issue to not be embarrased to ask your vet for some consideration in payment, or if they have a program to help people in your situation.

Sounds like you have quite a household! Congrats on your greyhounds and welcome! Post pics of them all! We love to see everybody in the family!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Redpack

Don't have any experience with the rough play, but I recommend getting the large rawhides and watching her with them so that she can't get pieces off. You need to work with her so that you can take it away from her when it starts to get soft or have loose parts. Work with her on "trading". Give her a favorite toy or treat in exchange for the chewy. She will learn to give it up to you.

As for what she's already swallowing. Just watch her for signs of distress. If she starts with diarhea or vomiting, you will have to take her in immediately.

Good luck.

Ours get rawhides often and they too will swallow pieces that in my own mind are too large. They have passed without incident everytime.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest imjustvick

Thank you all for your recommendations and suggestions. I feel better already. It's funny. I thought I knew dogs pretty well. I have been raised with them all of my life. Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, German Shepherds, Pit Bull/ Blood Hound Mix, Black Lab/ Akita, Beagles. All wonderful dogs. Some with more behavioral issues than others but for the most part good friends and companions. Now I meet and fall in love with these dogs and I am blown away by their personalities and charm as well as their delicateness. I just know that I want to do right by them like I have all of my other dogs. I know it is just a learning process and I will get there.