Hot Spots?

Has anyone had any experience with greys getting "hot spots"? Lucy has a small patch on her back (between her shoulder blades) that she has been scratching at, and the hair is now falling out in that spot and it's red (though I'm sure at least some of the red is due to her scratching it). A friend who saw her today said it looks just like the "hot spots" that her dogs get. I did a quick Google search and it sounds like hot spots are much more common in long haired dogs. Do greys get these, or could it be something else? Obviously I think a trip to the vet is in order, but I'm still trying to figure out what it could be before we go in, so I'm prepared. My first thought was that maybe the cedar in the beds was bothering her, but it's on the top of her back, and that's the one part of her that rarely makes contact with the bed. I would think her belly or side would be itchy if it were from the bed. It doesn't appear to be a tick bite - it's flat, no bump or anything. Anyone ever have a similar issue?

Thanks!

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Guest EmilyAnne

My American Eskimo got one shortly after a bath. I figured I likely did not rinse the shampoo out well enough, so I gave him a water only bath, and it cleared up.

Gee will get these in the winter months only, after we've turned on the heat in the house. It seems to dry her skin out so I make sure to add fish oil to her food and avoid baths in the winter months to avoid drying her skin out even more. Allergies can cause hot spots also.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest charmsmom

We get hotspots all the time on greys at the kennel, particularly when we're fish-oil poor. But, we also must feed whatever is donated, so we change food all the time. So, yes, greys can get them. Just shave it down, keep it clean, and up the fish oil. :)

Nope - no frontline. We have been changing food, so maybe that has something to do with it. I put a little bit of hydrogen peroxide on it last night and flushed it with cool water, and it is looking MUCH better today. She's also getting a little bit of dandruff, so I think fish oil is in order.

Thanks everyone!

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.