Amputation And Running And Bouncing

Guest KathyL

Guest KathyL

My daughter and I were looking at the videos of Ember and some pictures of Polli. Both are beautiful doggies by the way :blush She wants to know if after recovery can they run instead of the galloping sort of motion Ember does? Depending on which leg is amputated, can they still bounce around? Running and bouncing are so much a part of Butterfly's life that we just couldn't imagine what it would be like for her if she couldn't do zoomies around the backyard at least once a day.

kathy

Guest CyndiW

Odysseus lost a back leg to osteo. Losing a back leg is much less invasive and he was only 7.5 at the time of amp. He ran and played like there was no tomorrow. His favorite game was chasing the other greys' tails. One night they were chasing a cat out of the yard and he was leading the pack with only 3 legs. So yes, he was still able to run and bounce and play even on his last day.

It depends on the dog and which leg was amputated. Front legs are a bit harder for running, but they all seem to manage to have fun anyway. Back legs seem to be easier as far as running goes. I know Dude could run as fast or faster when he had his back leg in a splint from a toe amputation and was on 3 legs. Both Polli and Ember have adapted really well to their new way of living - much better than a person would have!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Jamaica has adapted to being a tripawd very well. (left front amputee). The big differences I see are: when she "pogos" it is a more subdued pogo; she is more reluctant to do stairs (I only have 3 max at our house and she has always hated stairs); and she takes a bit longer to decide how she is going to get up on the bed or sofa. If she has a head start from a lying down position, she will beat Tansi to the door when visitors call (considering Tansi is my scaredy dog anyway). She is getting more graceful running, but she definitely makes a different kind of music when she thumps along behind me in the house. She very quickly resumed her role as boss dog in the house, and now that Scooter has passed away, she bows to no one. :colgate

She has adapted much better than I -- I still have days when I wonder if I made the best choice for her.

We have new nicknames here: Tansi is "Scaredy Dog" to my granddaughters and always will be (she continues to be somewhat afraid of DS). Jamaica is now Hoppy Dog, Hop a Long Cassidy, Bouncy Dog, Rabbit, Frog.... :lol

Guest HeatherDemps

Dempsey had a front leg amputated and I think he got to where he could run more smoothly then he could walk. He wouldn't run long distances but he would run across the back of the yard with my husband. He was almost 12.5 though so he had stopped doing true zoomies some time ago. :)

Guest EmbersDad

i will get some video of ember running someday. she has run in the past, and the head bob vanishes completely. you cannot tell she is missing a limb. them squirrels in my bird feeder better watch out!

Guest KathyL

Thanks for the info. #2DD was wondering about quality of life. One of our favorite things to do is to watch Butterfly do zoomies around the yard and she was afraid that the tripods wouldn't be able to do zoomies or chase the squirrels. I was trying to find pictures and video and all I could find was the video of Ember just a week or so post-op and I know Ember wasn't back to herself yet in it. We're looking forward to seeing a new video of Ember.