A New Addition To Our Hound Herd!

Guest Lovey_Hounds

maybe talk to an adoption agency in the US and see if they would be willing to transport it from the border if someone drives it there from here. thats how we get our hounds up here.

think about it.... it might be worth it. :)

Brandi let me know how many you are bringing back and i will start trying to find homes for them ( good homes). if you cant get rid of them all we are moving in feb and may be able to foster.... ( dont tell adam i will break it too him slowly he will loose it).... it all depends on Vegas and his health at that time.

I might be picking up 9 now.....

And no adoption group lined up yet - His friend has 2 Males and 2 Females only 3 weeks older than the current ones that he wants to get rid of. Only thing that's stopping me is I don't have $900 to get them all :(

If I could get one to SC I'd take one. Seriously. And pay for another for somebody. I have no earthy idea how to get one down here though!

Could they fly? Like, if people in the US wanted them could they be shipped if paid for? Or is there restrictions from Canada to US? To get Argos from Spain was easier than getting a person to Spain.

Im not sure... maybe go on the US customs/border crossing website and see.... let us know if you find out

From US/Canada customs

Both countries require the following at the time of crossing:

1. The animal must appear to be healthy.

2. Written certification from a veterinarian must be on hand verifying that the animal is free of diseases communicable to humans and has been vaccinated for rabies. The rabies vaccination certificate must have an expiration date of than 36 months or less; otherwise, the certificate must show that the animal was vaccinated within the preceding 12 months. Kittens and puppies younger than 3 months of age are not required to be vaccinated.

Puppies less than 3 months of age must be confined to a location of the owner’s choosing until vaccinated and must remain in confinement for one month following vaccination.

So, for the 3 month old puppies...vet visit to ensure healthiness and plane ticket. Now that's where it can get pricey! Northwest has a price of $260 for shipping an animal alone. So, let's say a vet visit for wellness is $60...$420 to get a puppy into the US. (other airlines I am sure differ) and the kindness of a friend taking the pup with money western unioned or however money travels. Paypal even. This is assuming, of course, that the puppy is less than 20 lbs! The price jumps $20 for the next bracket. A flight can be arranged at east 24 hours in advance, at most 10 days in advance. I am checking Delta now, as that is what Argos came over on.

(and...asking what color these other puppies are!)

ETA: Delta is cheaper. From Canada $217.35.

Oh, and cost of kennel. Forgot that. Puppy size will determine the cost of that.

So...what color are these other puppies?? And gender?

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is so helpful!!! i will remeber that for sure. i have taken my boy over the border but never a puppy.

..I am very tempted to try and get one of those ones sent here for DF. That's why I asked color. :lol

here is a pic of the origional litter, i belive all the blues are gone ( i have one) i know the white ones are left....

PUPPIES.jpg

:beatheart

:wub: :wub: Do you know if that little white and brindle is a boy or girl? Is the one next to the black white and blue?

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Guest Lovey_Hounds
here is a pic of the origional litter, i belive all the blues are gone ( i have one) i know the white ones are left....

PUPPIES.jpg

:beatheart

:wub: :wub: Do you know if that little white and brindle is a boy or girl? Is the one next to the black white and blue?

all of the white pups are female... i think he said all the males were gone cause we asked for a male. and the white in the back next to the black one has a blue mask, we just about took her untill the dark blue on the left came up and jumped out at us.

Guest brandi007

Puppies are okay everyone! Grabbing them all and thanks so much for everyone sending me well wishes and trying to help me out.

Going to get lots of pictures so stay tuned!

She is beyond cute!!! Wow a Grey puppy...I wish our house was finished now! I would drive from Ottawa to Calgary just to pick one up!!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So so cute!!!!

As someone who has survived greyhound puppyhood -- Roo is now about 19 months -- it is an incredible journey. It's not that hard -- the big commitment is making sure that you devote enough time every day to playing with and tiring out your little puppy.

If I sound like I'm trying to sell you on getting one of those adorable little puppies, I am. I'd love to vicariously watch as many as possible grow up on GreyTalk!

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

So so cute!!!!

As someone who has survived greyhound puppyhood -- Roo is now about 19 months -- it is an incredible journey. It's not that hard -- the big commitment is making sure that you devote enough time every day to playing with and tiring out your little puppy.

If I sound like I'm trying to sell you on getting one of those adorable little puppies, I am. I'd love to vicariously watch as many as possible grow up on GreyTalk!

:nod

I'll echo that. Fenway was easy-peasy...for a puppy. He's now two years old. If not for landlord limits, I'd take one. Grace would also kill me!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest greybookends

Thanks for helping these guys out and getting them safely so they can be properly placed. They are so cute. As a puppy mom I can say Ginny was no different than any other puppy I have ever had, they are ALL sharks! Good luck to everyone involved.

Guest AbbyGirl

OMG they are some cute. My DH and I always, said that some day we would love to get a greyhound puppy!!! I showed him the pictures and he was in awww!

Adorable! I hope the others get homes too!

he is getting rid of them for $100 each, i hope someone takes them they are living outside in a barn.

outside in a barn in Canada in the winter??? :eek:eek:eek

Did I read that right?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest wmlcml6

Don't worry, Robin. We know a breeder in South Dakota who raises his greyhounds outdoors just like we do (after 8 weeks old). It's all in what they are used to. They just get REALLY thick coats, and when they come to race in Florida they have to be sheared (with sheep shears) so they don't overheat.

Are these full blood greyhounds? It looks like it, but if he's getting rid of them at this age why did he breed in the first place? Oops litter, perhaps?

As you all know, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my puppies. If you get one and have any questions, please feel free to pm me, although there are others here who have raised single greyhound puppies in their homes who might be more help than me. Enjoy the cuteness, take lots of pics, and remember they are smart so take the time to teach them things now so they will grow up to be well mannered adult greyhounds.

Very important -- Please find out from the breeder what, if any, vaccinations these pups have had. You really need to know this information to protect the pups from illness. i would be very concerned if they have not had any puppy boosters at all. Parvo is a quick and horrible illness and you do not want to experience it. Also, find out if they have been wormed, and if not, do that ASAP.

Guest brandi007

Well he uses these dogs for hunting - apparently has 8 full grown greyhounds - purebred, I asked. I originally was going to bring back only 3 as he wanted to keep 2 for hunting and to add to his pack, plus my sister is keeping one so I would of had to re-home only 2 puppies, no problem. I contacted him and because they're going to such good homes (I explained how greyhounds live in the city...ie pampered, spoiled) and he decided to let the 2 go - so 3 ballooned into 5, a little harder but no problem. So I call him again and his friend has 4 almost 4 mth old puppies he wants to get rid of also - now I'm in over my head.

With lots and LOTS of help from amazing people I'm able to get the funds together to buy all 9 puppies and get them homes/food/love. So no worries everyone - all the puppies are taken care of! I"m doing the 23 hour drive on Sunday and will post lots of pictures as soon as I get some time. I'm sure they have no vaccinations or anything as they're farm dogs but I'll be sure to ask. I'm also making it clear that I"m not doing this again for puppies so he and his friend don't breed more litters with a 'guaranteed sale' in Calgary waiting for them. He sounds like he cares about the puppies but not enough to give me a discount or give them to me for free - he's clear he wants his money and so does his friend. In total I'm bringing back 9 puppies. 3 black males, 2 black females, 1 brindle female and the rest are like white with some other colour and are female.

HUGE thanks to everyone who helped me out with this - I was literally shaking on Wednesday trying to scrape more money together and get homes/fosters lined up for these guys and an amazing group of people came through for me. They've got fosters/homes lined up for 4 already, so that leaves me with only 4 more which I'm sure will go super fast - we don't see a lot of puppies and everyone is really excited. Thank god for such an amazing community of people - when my heart got bigger than my wallet they came through and helped me out.

Thanks so much!

I'll stop posting in this thread, next time you see stuff about this it'll be with adorable pictures of little beady eyes and licky tongues! Wish me luck and a safe trip, talk to you all later :)

Edited by brandi007

Guest Lovey_Hounds
Don't worry, Robin. We know a breeder in South Dakota who raises his greyhounds outdoors just like we do (after 8 weeks old). It's all in what they are used to. They just get REALLY thick coats, and when they come to race in Florida they have to be sheared (with sheep shears) so they don't overheat.

Are these full blood greyhounds? It looks like it, but if he's getting rid of them at this age why did he breed in the first place? Oops litter, perhaps?

As you all know, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my puppies. If you get one and have any questions, please feel free to pm me, although there are others here who have raised single greyhound puppies in their homes who might be more help than me. Enjoy the cuteness, take lots of pics, and remember they are smart so take the time to teach them things now so they will grow up to be well mannered adult greyhounds.

Very important -- Please find out from the breeder what, if any, vaccinations these pups have had. You really need to know this information to protect the pups from illness. i would be very concerned if they have not had any puppy boosters at all. Parvo is a quick and horrible illness and you do not want to experience it. Also, find out if they have been wormed, and if not, do that ASAP.

The pups are fine outside we have the first pups from the farmer... we had found out about him from a family member. we went out and wanted to take a few but he wouldnt budge on the price and we didnt have that much cash on hand, so we took him the little runt ( a blue female). we had gone looking to take the white ones but he wasnt having it. she is great outside in the cold like you had mentioned she has REALLY thick fur but as she gets used to the climate it will thin out. animals do better with getting used to the climate than we do.

there is a low budget greyhound breeder here in canada that races occasionally in the US and their dogs are born and raised in the big outside, they just have different fur... all are NGA registered but just look overly fuzzy.

Guest jackiekbowen

How fortunate for her that you could open your home. I hope the rest of the litter are as lucky. Good luck with your beautiful new baby. :wub::wub:

If anyone has any suggestion on raising this cute little monster, i could use all the help we can get.... i have delt with jack russels so i think we should be ok...lol

:lol Know just what you mean......we have a fiesty JRT plus a deerhoundx and a greyhound.

:wave Hi there from England

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest Mom2Gr8dawgs

She's adorable! :wub: I've found that GH puppies are pretty much like any other puppies. The things that helped the most with Raven were keeping her tired (we had 6:30 am, lunch time, late afternoon and late evening play times), obedience class and making sure she had plenty of things that were OK to chew. Keep the pics coming!

Guest jfroggirl76

awwww, this is so tempting to me. I have wanted a greyhound puppy for the longest time, not that I don't love my retired racers but I love a puppy. When we lost our Noah @ the age of 16 in August I wanted a puppy, my husband said Call GHG and we can get a retired greyhound not a puppy. So that's what we did but one day the time will be right and I will have my greyhound puppy whether it be from an oopies litter or one how has medical needs...

Keep posting pictures :)

I actually talked to my girlfriend who has my dog's brother and sister and said let's drive to Ca and we can share the puppy..... She said I don't think your husband will go for that.... I am sooooooo tempted to smell puppy breath!

Guest DoofBert

Let the puppy games begin......Our Tania came to us at age 11 weeks. Tessa, then age 7, was most happy when Tania was confined to the crate or the expen....

Best wishes.