Losing A Nail, Probably Pulled It Loose

Guest FireHorse

Guest FireHorse

Hubby was out today with the boys and the lure pole, and then later this afternoon, noticed that one of Jet's nails was bloody-we're assuming the two are related.

It's his back left foot, inside toe. The top part over the curve looks like it's pulled loose from the toe (what would be the cuticle on me). The loose part is gaping, but only a little bit-it looks like the nail is still about 3/4 attached. It's scabby but not actively bleeding, and Jet was more interested in the flashlight I was using than in what I was doing. We washed it off and put some EMT Gel on the gap at the top. It doesn't seem to hurt, and he's leaving it alone.

Is this a trip to the vet? Will the nail eventually pull off, or heal as is? Other than keeping it clean and watching for infection, is there anything else I should be doing?

I swear, if that dog were a kid, he'd be keeping me in Bactine and Band Aids! :rolleyes::lol

If any of it is just hanging, be careful because it could easilly catch on something and cause more damage. If it were me, I'de have the vet take a look. If it's hanging you might want to wrap it so it doesn't get caught until the vet takes a look at it. He may also need an antibiotic

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless