Eric's Incision Is Swollen

Guest greytbookert

Guest greytbookert

There is a golf ball sized swelling at Eric's incision site. He has not been licking it and it is very soft to the touch, not red, not oozing. It feels like fluid...I'm hoping it is just serum build up or something.

We called the vet at home and he told us to put warm compresses on it and to bring him in tomorrow to check it out... Let's hope that this is nothing to worry about. But you all know that I am worrying about it :blush

Guest SoulsMom

Oh no, not Eric too! Why does this stuff always happen on the weekend or holidays? Warm compress sounds like a good idea (I used one for Soul's giant zit on his butt and it stopped the swelling riteawayquik!)

Hugs to you and Eric :grouphug

Probably a seroma -- fluid buildup, as you say. It's on his leg, right?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytbookert
Probably a seroma -- fluid buildup, as you say. It's on his leg, right?

yes, it is on his leg at the incision site. He had a biopsy on a lump last week on the inside of his knee. When we talked to the vet, he did mention seroma but is going to check it out tomorrow, just in case. Eric doesn't seem to be in any pain but it is swaying when he walks, kind of like an utter... the poor boy. It doesn't seem to bother him even when I was poking it to see if it was hard :lol which it isn't.

Legs and tummies are great places for seromas to develop -- gravity pulling everything down. Fingers crossed that that's all it is.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Deb, hoping all is well with Eric. :goodluck

Edited by Finnsliz

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Altogether now: "Good new, good news, good news." Sending prayers. :hope:hope:hope:hope

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Sending prayers your way.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greytbookert
Deb, hoping all is well with Eric. :goodluck

Liz! It's great to hear from you! Thanks for thinking of our slough Eric!

I'm sure he is going to be fine. It was a little unnerving since he hasn't touched the incision and had been doing so well.

Guest greytbookert
Has it gone down any at all?

Nope, it has remained the same size... about the size of a golf ball. We just got back from the vet and as we suspected, it is a seroma. We'll keep treating with warm compresses and it should go down in about a week.

He doesn't seem bothered by it at all, which is great!

Has it gone down any at all?

Nope, it has remained the same size... about the size of a golf ball. We just got back from the vet and as we suspected, it is a seroma. We'll keep treating with warm compresses and it should go down in about a week.

He doesn't seem bothered by it at all, which is great!

They do take awhile to go down, but the good thing is it doesn't seem to bother him.Feel better Eric

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greydogluvr

I can tell you that following Willie's amputation the vet indicated that once tissue is removed, the body attempts to fill the void with fluid. For this reason, Willie has a suction bulb implanted at the surgical site to drain the fluid build up. I hope that this is what is happening with Eric. Hopefully this is all part of the natural healing process. Healing vibes coming your way.

I'm sorry, I'm only just seeing this. I'm glad it doesn't seem to be bothering him or be painful. Let's hope it's just a little fluid build-up. Sending lots of good thoughts! :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.