Coach Limping Update

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Tuesday night, Coach's limp became dramatically worse. She was still using the leg but I could tell her discomfort level was much greater. I called the vet's office early Wed morning since DH was off and asked if we could go ahead and bring her in for x-rays instead of waiting until Friday so she went yesterday.

When I picked her up, the vet (who I love, love, love) showed me the x-rays that showed what he diagnosed as an ABL - aggresive bone lesion. He stated that it wasn't the tell-tale starburst you usually see with osteosarcoma, but the outer lines on the bone showed some deterioration in a small space. He also said it was in an atypical place. He said the cancerous lesions are traditionally higher in the shoulder area, but her's is kinda on the mid-portion of that top leg bone.

He informed me that diagnostically we could do a bone bioposy or wait and take another x-ray in a month to see if it was developing into something more. While he didn't see any reason she wouldn't do ok with the bone bioposy, he said there would be risk of actually causing the bone to break which could lead to quick decisions about bad things. At 13 1/2, I do not want to put her through amputation (due to the potential broken leg from the bioposy or as a way to cure the problem if it does worsen). She has weak hind legs now anyway and doesn't heal quickly from things at her age and would have a harder recovery and adaptation to becoming a tripod. Realistically, she may only have another 6 months to a year or so left with us anyway and I don't want her last months to be filled with pain, discomfort and agitation.

For comfort, since she did so well on the Deramaxx a week ago, we are going to continue with the low dose of that and also start a low dose of tramadol. She was actually quite zippy last week on the D so I am optimistic that this will help her for the next little while.

She wasn't too motivated to eat last night but I think she was still a little affected by her sedation and exhausted from all the activity of the day. She did eat enough chicken, bread and treats so that I could start her Deramaxx last night. The decrease in her limping is already noticeable this morning and last week the limp was almost undetectable by the second day so I remain hopeful that after another dose tonight she will be doing well.

The other issue going on is decreased weight which could be related to this, her age, the food I switched her to several months ago, etc. so that one is kinda hard to pinpoint. I have started adding in low sodium Cream of Chicken Soup and she LOVES that mixed with her kibble. She was 49 pounds yesterday early in the morning and had been 50 the last time, but I know I always weigh less in the morning than in the evening.

I appreciate all the good thoughts and prayers and remain optimistic that she has still got some good days ahead of her. The thought of her eventual passing saddens me but I cannot stand the thought of her dealing with more than minor pain/discomfort.

She rested well last night, ate well this morning (love the Cream of Chicken), is less limpy and is hanging out on her bed beside of me right now so we'll take that and run with it.

Sending white light and all manners of positive thoughts for your sweet girl!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Sending good thoughts for both of you :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Gentle scritchies for your pup, and hugs for yourself. I hope she has many more happy days with you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending lots of hugs and good thoughts. :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest TaraCoachCougar
sending lots of hope your way :hope

Coach is so beautiful, I wish you many many more cuddles... :wub:

Hmm, could it be you are particial to Coach's looks because she is an elder version of your sweet Penny? :colgate

I appreciate your kind words.

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest TaraCoachCougar
:grouphug

Hugs back to you for the recent passing of your lovely Jed. :grouphug I haven't been on much for a little bit. I'm sure you miss him terribly, but I know he's looking over you.

I appreciate the comforting hug. :) It really does make me feel better.

Thanks to all for the kindness. I may not deserve it, but Coachie sure does. She was my first kid and has been a model retired greyhound. (Cougar sometimes forgets what his breed is!) I'll post updates periodically for those that interested.

Thanks again.

Sending prayers for comfort and quality time. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I hope the meds can stop her pain, it sounds like that's the way to go :bighug

if she doesn't have food issues, you could give her nice fatty snacks like ice cream, peanut butter, regular butter :)

edited to add, please do keep us updated!

Edited by Remolacha

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Coach is doing pretty well. Resting well and eating well, so what more can I ask for? She loves the cream of chicken in her kibble although I've backed off to just one big spoonful since the warm water spreads it out and she doesn't handle too much fat very well. At least I'm giving her the reduced sodium variety. I can't weigh her until we return to the vet, but she feels a tad bit less ribby when you run your hands down her sides. Both her and Cougs have mushier poo and I'm sure that a result of the cream of chic.

Yesterday her limp was barely noticeable, but I think it is slightly more pronounced today. I'll give her a couple more days and then I may up her tramadol from 1/2 tablet to a full tablet if she continues with much of a limp.

She follows us from room to room grabbing the dog bed of choice. And she appears to be quite comfortable.

I did wake to her lapping up a bit she had yakked up during the wee hours of the night, so not sure if that is the meds or just a flukey thing. Isn't she sweet to clean up after herself?

Thanks for continued good thoughts. I still worry we are headed to a time that we will really need lots of mental support, but for now things are good. Three weeks until the next x-ray... (at least I'll get paid again before that credit card bill will arrive.)