'coffee Grinds' In Patton's Ears.

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Patton has dirty ears. We have spoken to the vet multiple times over this, and there is no infection, he simply has dirty ears. I clean them 2x a week, which is a nightmare, since Patton HATES it. It looks like someone poured coffee grinds in his ears.

Does anyone else have a grey with super dirty ears? Is this something we have to deal with for his entire life, or is there something else we can do to clear them up? We've tried antibiotics multiple times, and his ears stay dirty.

Sherman's ears are completely clean, and he has never had a problem with his ears.

Gee gets ears like that, she has an infection right now. Hers are caused by allergies though.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest trevdog

Might be a food allergy. Dallas got a nasty ear infection that wouldn't clear up. I finally discovered she was allergic to what we were feeding her after a few vet trips and switching food.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

When I first got Spencer and for a year afterwards he had super dirty ears too. He would shake his head and all this black gunk would come flying out and stick on the walls - it was so gross! When he went in for his annual dental I would have the vet do a deep ear irrigation to really clean them out. After about a year or so he never had a dirty ear problem again. Hang in there - Spencer didn't like having his ears cleaned either.

Rita gets a dark, dirty-looking ear once a year. It's not always the same one. The first vet in CT said it was a yeast infection. A second vet here in SC says it's a bacterial infection with a tiny bit of yeast thrown in; no mites seen even thought you'd swear she has mites. He suspects some kind if allergy.

She's on basically the same ear stuff the CT vet gave her but this vet has added an antibiotic and a short dose of pred to ease the inflammation. Even her pinna is sore looking.

I have to clean her ear daily. I use a cotton ball soaked in the cleaner to get the solution in her ear; it's much easier on both of us to do it that way than trying to put the cleaner directly into her ear from the bottle. Funny no one ever told me to do it this way until we went to the Banfield vet at PetsMart. Our regular vet was closed for the holiday, but this vet was open for business and quite good, I think! His ear-cleaning method with the cotton ball rather than with shooting the solution into the ear directly from the bottle was a Godsend!

Hope this method helps make life easier for you!

Marcia

My cat has dirty ears. My vet said that as a kitten he may have had mites causing his ears to make that nasty stuff and now they just keep making it.

One of my cats is like this, too. When it really starts to bother her, I take her to the vet to have them checked and cleaned. I can NOT do it myself! It is gross.

Guest RocketDog

I would think food allergy or mites, from the sound of it. My cat had earmites as a kitten and his ears were FILLED with disgusting dirt/coffee looking stuff - it's the mite's poop.

Try a little olive oil in the ears. If there are mites this will do a decent job of clearing them up. Just put some on a cotton ball and smear it around like you were cleaning them. Do this every other day for a week and then wait to see if it returns. I've also seen yeast infections with dogs that get their ears licked.

Guest guinness_the_greyt

I'm with the posters above and going to say allergy. My friends greyhound has seasonal allergies and she has to be right on top of getting her meds or she will get an ear infection.

One of mine could grow mushrooms in his ears. Always has, no matter the diet or season. I just wipe them out every once and a while and other than being grossed out, it's no big deal.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Our Charlie has the same problem. He has had his ears checked twice for ticks and nada. We clean them out but it comes back and currently it's pretty bad. I have read that adding yogurt to their diet can help. We are going to give it a try. There are also other 'remedies' out there such as vinegar & water (this may sting if they have scratched their ears), monistat 7....I am forgetting the others. One that I thought was funny was garlic salt!!! I am not kidding that someone wrote it worked on their pup (non-grey).

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I agree with the allergies, but I would add one more suggestion--try an acodopholis pill sprinkled over the food once a day--it takes about 4-6 weeks to notice the difference.

Jennifer

I'm with the posters above and going to say allergy. My friends greyhound has seasonal allergies and she has to be right on top of getting her meds or she will get an ear infection.

I love that quote! Is that from a bumper sticker? I would love to have it on my car! (the diabolcial plot thing)

Jennifer

Edited by Jenn

Guest Giselle

I, too, would try looking for the cause of the problems, probably through changing his food or adding probiotics.

As an aside, what do you clean with? I *love* OtiRinse. Not all natural or organic. But all of my vets (I've used many :lol) use it and I swear by it. By the way, you haven't seen anything until you've cleaned Retriever/Spaniel ears. :puke

The Sally Monster has typical gunky coonhound ears, and they have to be wiped every other day or she gets an infection.

I'm currently using a product from Wysong on her...the Otisol-O. It has eucalyptus in it, so it helps with the itching. She actually lets me put this stuff in, because it stops the itching and is cooling.

http://www.wysong.net/Merchant2/merchant.m...Product_Count=4

Supposedly this one is good...I have some on order and can let you know how it works on floppy coonhound girl.

http://www.medi-vet.com/detail.aspx?ID=3851

Otirinse is good for grungy ears too...

http://www.medi-vet.com/detail.aspx?ID=1742

and Zymox makes some great products including a wash that are great for ears.

http://www.medi-vet.com/detail.aspx?ID=3070

I used that brand on Hogan, but haven't gotten my hands on it yet for Sally.

You could always switch to a raw diet. :) Most people whose dogs had skin, ear or eye problems and switched to raw saw the problems disappear. Otherwise, I think the other suggestions already given about trying a different food or a probiotic are sound.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Shermanator

Wow!

Hmmmm. We have switched Patton's food several times, and his ears have always been a mess. DH says its his brains leaking out. :) Ha ha.

Its not ear mites, his ears have been like this as long as we had him, 4 years, and multiple trips to the vet to discuss them. He does not scratch obsessively, so they do not bother him that much. He scratches as much as Sherman does, and Sherman's ears are pristine. Sigh. I am going to try some of the ear solutions suggested.

Also, Patton and Sherman get a dollop of yogurt - plain, low fat Dannon, every morning. Is there another yogurt I should try?

Thanks, everyone!

Edited by Shermanator

You could always switch to a raw diet. :) Most people whose dogs had skin, ear or eye problems and switched to raw saw the problems disappear. Otherwise, I think the other suggestions already given about trying a different food or a probiotic are sound.

We were on raw for a year and so no change in the ear gunk.

Really, if it's not bothering him and causes no problem, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll probably cause more problems changing foods.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I would recommend buying cotton makeup remover pads and using them to clean his ears with colloidal silver which does treat yeast infections.

Max was diagnosed with a yeast infection. His ear canals had all sorts of dark brown goop in them. The course of antibiotics did not resolve it. I tried using cider vinegar but that also did not resolve it. Colloidal silver seems to have done the job.

Leanne :)