Cut On Webbing On Paw

Guest BooandCalisMom

Guest BooandCalisMom

One of my greys has a cut on the webbing in between his toes and I am not quite sure what to do about it. The webbing itself isn't split, but he definitely has a good eighth of an inch cut on the webbing (closer to where his toes join together).

It was bleeding a little on Christmas eve but hasn't bled since. It does not seem to be bothering him as far as walking goes and we've been making him wear a therapaw when we walk. We try to keep the therapaw on indoors but he keeps trying to rip it off.

I've noticed that he's been licking the area tonight when we took the therapaw off. Thoughts on how to keep him from doing this? I am worried he's going to get it raw and make it worse.

Of course this is our grey who hates being touched on his feet. He growls and shows teeth when we try to bandage or wrap the foot so we've been unsuccessful in that effort (he always shows teeth when we touch him on his legs/feet or tail...he's just very space oriented).

I have some leftover cephalexin so I've had him on that to try to keep him from getting an infection.

Thoughts? I've read that other folks have had luck with baby socks, but I have no idea how to get one on him without getting my hand bitten off (even when we muzzle him he whacks it against us in our head when we do things like this!!).

Any ideas are appreciated!! Also, what signs of infection should we look for??

Guest p51crazyhorse

sounds like maybe you need to get him on his side and have someone hold his head and then do any bandaging.....Streamer had a really bad cut on the top of one of his webbs, about an inch. I didnt give him anything for it and it didnt seem to bother him, I did a day or two of putting triple antibiotic ointment on it with a baby sock but them just left it open. I also did water therapy with the outside hose, it does wonders for horses and did the same for him :) . A muzzle would keep him from licking it and tearing off a bandage. when you can look at it look for puffy red inflammation and/or oozing fluid or pus for an infection. Streamer healed up just fine.

Guest greysrgr8
One of my greys has a cut on the webbing in between his toes and I am not quite sure what to do about it. The webbing itself isn't split, but he definitely has a good eighth of an inch cut on the webbing (closer to where his toes join together).

It was bleeding a little on Christmas eve but hasn't bled since. It does not seem to be bothering him as far as walking goes and we've been making him wear a therapaw when we walk. We try to keep the therapaw on indoors but he keeps trying to rip it off.

I've noticed that he's been licking the area tonight when we took the therapaw off. Thoughts on how to keep him from doing this? I am worried he's going to get it raw and make it worse.

Of course this is our grey who hates being touched on his feet. He growls and shows teeth when we try to bandage or wrap the foot so we've been unsuccessful in that effort (he always shows teeth when we touch him on his legs/feet or tail...he's just very space oriented).

I have some leftover cephalexin so I've had him on that to try to keep him from getting an infection.

Thoughts? I've read that other folks have had luck with baby socks, but I have no idea how to get one on him without getting my hand bitten off (even when we muzzle him he whacks it against us in our head when we do things like this!!).

Guest greysrgr8

One of my greys split the web between two of his toes completely. A fellow greyhound owner told me to go to the drug store and get "BFI First Aid Antiseptic Powder". It comes in a shaker, so you don't have to touch the wound when applying it. It helped the spot scab over. Don't know if it tastes bad or not, but he seemed to leave it alone.

Maybe you could hold his foot just long enough to shake it on the cut.

Good luck - hope he gets well soon!

Klinger's Mom (also Clippy's Mom and Sezchwan's Foster-Mom)

Will he allow you to give hime belly rubs while standing for a short period of time? If so what we do here is put some epsom salts in a pot with warm water till completely dissolved, and let the puppers stand for some belly rubs and soft talk with the injured food standing in the pan for as long as they can be distracted for. I also use a turkey baster down in the water to cause some disturbance in the water so it can get in between the toes. I just allow some water to get into the baster and sqeeze to take in, and let out water from the baster causing a current in the pan so to say. I can usually get about 10 minutes out our pups before they just decide they've had enough and simply walk away.

The epsom salts debrade the wound and promotes healing by keeping the area clean.

Good luck!!

If you can get some ointment on it, great, but the most important thing is to keep him from running around. Mine have split webs before and the only way they'll heal is to rest. Otherwise they'll just split it back open again and it'll just get worse. Make sure he goes outside alone so he won't be prompted to chase the other dogs.

Bandaging didn't help my dogs because it seemed to just irritate the area even more. In my experience, it needs to heal in open air.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest myneedlenose

Mayhem split the webbing right down the middle all the way to the knuckle, nothing left. We muzzled him, rinsed it out with sterile saline twice a day and wrapped it it gauze, followed by vet wrap followed by a baby sock secured with hospital tape. He wore a plastic baggy when going out to do his business to keep it dry. He HATED it but it healed up brilliantly, he would gnaw on it if it wasn't completely covered. When we were finally able to get him to the vet for a look-see she said there was nothing else she could have done at the time or suggested that we hadn't already done and gave Mayhem a cookie for being such a trooper. The trick is to keep it clean and as dry as possible. A little colloidal silver goes a long way as well in healing up this sort of thing as well as acting as a topical antibiotic.

Guest Shermanator

Be careful of his activity. Sherman nicked the webbing in between 2 toes. He tore it about 1/2 an inch. I was afraid it could get worse, so I ran him over to the vet to discuss the possibility of stitching it back together. By the time we got the the vet, Sherman tore the webbing completely from walking on it. Sigh. Our grey-savvy vet said to not stitch the webbing back together, since the webbing would be thinner, and more susceptible to tear again. He ended up cutting the webbing out, and stitching his foot all the way down the one toe, and up the other. Sherman is perfectly fine now, and can throw the peace sign. :)

If he's biting at you when you clean the wound, muzzle him. For baby socks, we've found wrapping a piece of vet wrap around the top really helps keep the sock on.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

If he's biting at you when you clean the wound, muzzle him. For baby socks, we've found wrapping a piece of vet wrap around the top really helps keep the sock on.

Ditto. Put the sock on, then run a piece of tape around it near the top. Then fold the top of the sock back down over the tape (or vet wrap) so they can't get to it!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)