Mango On The Mend

Guest MorganKonaAlex

The oncologist we used wouldn't let us make an appt. until the biopsy results were back. We weren't in a situation of a lost sample though.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I tried to post an update last night but lost it when my computer locked up. Looks like it's a good thing I waited because I have actual news tonight.

When Mango went today for her incision recheck, I asked for xrays and blood tests, so that I had something current to work from since it's been two months since we did the amputation. Chest xrays appear clean to my vet! Blood tests will be back tomorrow. And...Dr D has decided that it was time to stop messing with the incision - he will take her in tomorrow to suture the remaining 2" or so that hasn't closed on it's own.

I also talked to him about going now to an oncologist, even if we couldn't do chemo (that was before he decided to close it up) and he agreed. So tomorrow I will be calling to make an appt with the group OSU pointed me to.

Admittedly, I was a bit lost as to what to do. Now I have a clear direction to go in. That's not the wind you hear - it's me breathing a big sigh of relief.

Mango continues to live life to the fullest, joyful and happy at everything from getting a treat to getting to be around people at a greyhound playdate. I hope that I can say that for a long time to come!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Such good news about Miss Mango! I've been wondering how she is doing. Takoda is a real character! Whipped cream???!!! Good thing mine are asleep or they would be bugging me to give them some, too! I can see it now - 3 black beauties running around with whipped cream all over their beautiful black faces! Too funny!

So glad you were able to come to an agreement with your Vet. Will be interested to hear what the oncologist has to say.

Sending prayers for Miss Mango and her Mom's continuing clarity.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest greydogluvr

Such wonderful news. :yay:yay I am glad you have a clear direction. You have to feel such relief. Best of luck with the oncology contact. Please let us know what you find out.

Latest update from Mango+Takoda World here: I was finally able to go to see an oncologist yesterday with Mango. She took one look at Mango's records, saw that her kidneys had nearly failed post-op, and said, No chemo. It would be too much of a risk with her kidneys having been compromised when she crashed after the amp, since the chemo stresses the kidneys along with everything else.

So. There we are.

I'm going to investigate holistic alternatives at this point- see what kind of options I have there to support her good health at this point. It's not a cure. But if it can help her stay healthy and happy for a little while longer, I have to try. And healthy and happy she is right now. I can't ask for more than that for as long as it lasts.

I cannot open a thread right now because of computer problems, but I'm curious: for those of you who used alternative treatments for your osteo patients, did you get guidance from a holistic vet, or did you formulate your treatments on your own?

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest greydogluvr

I guess everything happens for a reason. I am glad you got to speak with an oncologist so you would know the best way to proceed .

Prior to opting for chemo and amputation, I was following an alternative therapy treatment. My regular vet is a holistic vet and I was following his guidance. I will be glad to share what I was doing before chemo and what I will be doing again once Willie's chemo is complete if you would like. He is treating another osteo patient who had the amputation and chose not to do chemo as well.

Big hugs to your girl.