Mango On The Mend

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's doing really good. In spite of what my vets said about the area of her incision where they had to remove so much skin, I never thought it would heal closed. But that's exactly what it's doing. It's half the size it was a week and a half ago, when I first brought her home. Which reminds me - I need to go get her in the tub to do her hydrotherapy so it keeps on healing closed...

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

We went for post-surgical re-check #2 today: Mango has gained 1 lb (I can't believe that I haven't been able to put more weight back on her - me, Cookie Mom? :lol: ); the incision site is healing perfectly now - Dr D said it's about 40% smaller than it was last week - I need to get a new picture for y'all; and Miss Mango is doing all around terrific. :yay We're going to continue the hydrotherapy and collasite application and see where we are next week. If she continues to improve as she has this week, Dr D will clear her to go to the oncologist to discuss whether we do chemo or not. Next set of deep breaths coming up!

And for all you Takoda fans out there, I talked to Dr D about his progress with the hind end weakness. LS? FCE? Or something else altogether? :dunno We're going in next week to have a consult with both Dr D and Dr B, who saw Takoda initially on an emergency basis when he first went down. So, we'll see what we can figure out for him next week as well. (Hey, Kamsmom, do you do housecalls for photo sessions? :lol: I can't for the life of me capture Takoda's sweetness and silliness with my camera, which is why I haven't posted any new pictures of him. Every picture I take he looks like a Sad Sack, and he's really not at all!)

Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

As you know if you've been over to EEG, I've been taking pictures today. So I figured I'd take a couple of Mango's incision, for comparison for me as much as anyone else. She's doing great - with the exception of a different gait, she's "my Mango". In fact, she had gotten a little grumpy in the couple of months prior to the diagnosis (now I know why) and she's not grumpy at all now. She actually cuddles more with me now than she did BA (before amputation).

Here are the pics taken today. Forgive the crusty appearance - I hadn't done her water therapy yet at the point I took them. Is it my imagination, or does the wound look like it's healing in the shape of a heart?

Mangoswound2011009.jpg

Mangoswound011009.jpg

Edited by mangos_mom

Greyhounds Unlimited

• 2 weeks later...

Going through serious Mango withdrawal! Update - please! Any Takoda pics yet? And, yes of course the wound is healing in the shape of heart! Beautiful, beautiful Mango! You make my heart sing!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I'm sorry - I wasn't posting news because, frankly, there isn't any. Mango's wound continues to heal nicely without any further problems or stitching. She's got a tee shirt on right now and is sacked out behind my chair, otherwise I'd take a new picture. It's gone from being heart-shaped to being like a little grin there on her side. :wub: She's moving faster and faster around the house and the yard. Bet if I get her out to a play-date, she'll be running with the pack!

The hard part of all this right now is that my vet won't release her to potentially undergo chemo until that incision is healed. He wants to make sure that she's fully recovered from everything she went through post-surgery before I hit her with something like chemo that will knock her down again.

I'm struggling with that because I don't want to override him, but I feel like I have this great big clock hanging over my head that ticking steadily. I honestly don't know what to do - I've been debating on coming here to ask, but keep hoping this will be the week that he gives me the go-ahead.

Since you've got me talking, let me ask for insight on this little tidbit as well: the biopsy sample was lost between my vet's office and the lab. So I don't have a confirmation of diagnosis. Will an oncologist even consider chemo without the benefit of that?

It looks like I'll be working from home tomorrow because they are predicting one of our infamous ice storms here in the Dallas area. I'll get some more pictures and post them tomorrow night if work doesn't run me ragged tomorrow. I wish I was fast enough with my camera to catch Takoda when he's being silly. Otherwise, it's just pictures of him sleeping. And here he is right now, as if he knows I'm talking about him! My fuzzy boy. :lol:

Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest greydogluvr

I am so glad to hear that Mango is doing so well. Have you been in touch with an oncologist or is your primary vet going to administer the chemo when the time arrives. I know that at OSU they recommend beginning the chemo right after surgery which would not allow time for biopsy results to be returned. I am guessing that they will agree to administer based on x ray and history :dunno. I would e-mail Dr. Couto and ask about the chemo and the need to wait for additional healing.

BTW we started Willile's chemo before his incision was totally healed. I know Mango has had several setbacks but her incision looks as good or better than Willie's when we started. Please let us know what you find out.

Guest greytloves

Crap! Lost the sample? Man, I would want to throttle whomever did that!

Glad to hear her incision is getting better. I have no thoughts on the chemo, I have never been threw that.

Give those two a :cookie and a :kiss2 from us over here.

I am so glad to hear that Mango is doing so well. Have you been in touch with an oncologist or is your primary vet going to administer the chemo when the time arrives. I know that at OSU they recommend beginning the chemo right after surgery which would not allow time for biopsy results to be returned. I am guessing that they will agree to administer based on x ray and history :dunno . I would e-mail Dr. Couto and ask about the chemo and the need to wait for additional healing.

BTW we started Willile's chemo before his incision was totally healed. I know Mango has had several setbacks but her incision looks as good or better than Willie's when we started. Please let us know what you find out.

I haven't been in touch with an oncologist yet because my vet said he would give the referral when she was healed. It's not that he's holding me hostage, so much as I'm holding myself hostage by wanting to trust him.

I did email OSU about the delay and feasability of doing chemo at this late date. I explained why we hadn't gone that route yet, but didn't ask specifically whether there was merit to waiting any longer. I've been corresponding with Dr Marin there. She asked if xrays and blood work had been done recently, so I'm going to request that when I take Mango back for her recheck this week. I'm thinking that I'll tell Dr D my concerns and that I want to at least have an initial visit with an oncologist now, even if we don't start chemo.

I took pictures today as promised. I'll post them in a separate response.

Greyhounds Unlimited

Momma tortured me tonight. She said that she was cleaning my boo-boo. But she wouldn't let me help - go figure.

Mangosincision012709.jpg

Momma says my boo-boo is like a smile. I can't see it with the bite-naught thingy choking around my neck. What do you think?

Mangosincisionclose012709.jpg

As you can see, I survived Momma's poking and prodding and am back on my feet.

MmmGoodMango.jpg

And then Momma gave my brudder and me the bestest treat in the whole greyt world!

whippedcreammango.jpg

Mmm-mmm! Whipped cream for me, too!

Whippedcreamtakoda.jpg

Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest LindsaySF

Her incision looks amazing! That's great that it has healed so well. :)

I know you were worried about her weight before, but she looks perfect in the most recent pictures you posted. She shouldn't gain any more.

I don't know what the protocol about chemo is, but I would think it is better to do it too soon than too late? :dunno

Guest greydogluvr

She looks great. I understand your want to trust your vet. I think discussing your concerns is a great idea. Let us know how it goes. Big hugs to both your babies.

Guest greytfulhounds
Momma tortured me tonight. She said that she was cleaning my boo-boo. But she wouldn't let me help - go figure.

Mangosincision012709.jpg

Momma says my boo-boo is like a smile. I can't see it with the bite-naught thingy choking around my neck. What do you think?

Mangosincisionclose012709.jpg

As you can see, I survived Momma's poking and prodding and am back on my feet.

MmmGoodMango.jpg

And then Momma gave my brudder and me the bestest treat in the whole greyt world!

whippedcreammango.jpg

Mmm-mmm! Whipped cream for me, too!

Whippedcreamtakoda.jpg

Kate, Mango looks soooo good!! I LOVE the expression on Takoda's face with the whipped cream!! Hugs & kisses to my babies!! :grouphug:kiss2