Possible Stroke Or Seizure? Help?

Guest scruffhead

Guest scruffhead

hi there. will just list details and if anyone has any ideas or suggestions this would be so much appreciated!

my girl is ten and half years old. over the last 3 weeks she has been behaving strangely and now im really concerned.

symptoms:

she has been drinking excessive amounts of water

peeing a whole lot.

one minute laying down the next she is standing in a corner panting real hard,heart pounding and her body twitching.

during this time she moves real slow and stiff like she is drunk or losing balance.

after incident is over(usually 15 min) i need to take her outside as she has to pee real bad.

she has these approx every 3rd day.

after incident she sleeps and barely moves and doesnt eat anything for a day.

usually prior to it happening, she starts to salivate a lot and licking her lips and moving her mouth.

sometime sbefore it happens she wil get up,lay down get up lay down for a while all restless.

recently her back legs on a walk started to shake vigorously and she collapsed in the snow. i had to carry her home.

things ruled out by tests at vet:

diabetes

cushings and the other one.

heart xray looked normal.

liver and kidneys basically normal.

blood work fine.

i do have an apt. with neurologist but if anyone has any suggestions ideas how to handle this i would really appreciate it.

thank you

sean

That does sound like seizure activity to me. Is she responsive during her 'episodes'? Or is she out of it? I would talk to your vet about seizure medication....might be worth a shot. Is she on any meds at the moment?

I'd also ask vet about epilepsy/seizure disorder. Barring that, I'd be curious about doggie dementia.

Hoping it's nothing serious,

DD

Edited to add--It doesn't sound like a stroke. It wouldn't be repetitive (several days in a row) and I also don't think it would resolve that quickly.

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest VelvetEars

my guess is seizure.

after she comes out of it, offer her some vanilla ice cream (breyers is best b/c it's all natural) - the sugar will help her recover a little better.

classical music during the episode can also help.

somewhere i read about putting ice on their back/neck (?) when you notice the "pre-seizure" activities starting to head it off....might want to do a search on it for specifics.

Sounds like a seizure to me. Unfortunately, there sometimes isn't a test or definitive way to diagnose them. Unless the neuro can catch her having one and do an EKG. Idiopathic Epilepsy just means seizures without a defined cause. Are there any commonalities to them? Something that she does/eats beforehand that may be triggering them? Keep a log of every seizure - date, time, length, severity - it'll be helpful in the long run identifying her triggers (if any), and predicting when the next one may be.

Look up a thread by "EmilyAnne". In her signature is a link to her blog. Her grey-mix Henry has epilepsy and she's documented everything she's found out there. It's very informative and may give you someplace to start a conversation with your vet and/or the neurologist. IMO, if she's having one every 3rd day she should be on meds asap.

greysmom :D

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sounds like your vet is being quite thorough, and I don't have much to suggest :( .

Re the drinking and peeing, tho -- sometimes upset tummy will cause a dog to overdrink, and sometimes urinary tract infection will cause the same. For upset tummy, one regular-strength pepcid (10mg famotidine) twice a day can help. For urinary tract, sometimes it is worthwhile giving a course of antibiotics even if the urine tests clean.

Hugs and best luck with your pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest EmilyAnne
hi there. will just list details and if anyone has any ideas or suggestions this would be so much appreciated!

my girl is ten and half years old. over the last 3 weeks she has been behaving strangely and now im really concerned.

symptoms:

she has been drinking excessive amounts of water

peeing a whole lot.

one minute laying down the next she is standing in a corner panting real hard,heart pounding and her body twitching.

during this time she moves real slow and stiff like she is drunk or losing balance.

after incident is over(usually 15 min) i need to take her outside as she has to pee real bad.

she has these approx every 3rd day.

after incident she sleeps and barely moves and doesnt eat anything for a day.

usually prior to it happening, she starts to salivate a lot and licking her lips and moving her mouth.

sometime sbefore it happens she wil get up,lay down get up lay down for a while all restless.

recently her back legs on a walk started to shake vigorously and she collapsed in the snow. i had to carry her home.

things ruled out by tests at vet:

diabetes

cushings and the other one.

heart xray looked normal.

liver and kidneys basically normal.

blood work fine.

i do have an apt. with neurologist but if anyone has any suggestions ideas how to handle this i would really appreciate it.

thank you

sean

Disclaimer: Everything I say will only be guesses. But I will guess as best as I can.

It does sound like it *could* be seizure activity. I'll relate some things I have observed in my own Henry that are similar to your girl.

Henry knows when a seizure is coming on. He will be restless, nervous, he will start to pant very heavily, then cry, and then he will shiver all over, and wham, Grand-Mal hits. Not everyone gets such a good warning system as my Henry gives me. Most don't actually.

I had a pointer mix who had mild epilpesy. He has Petit-Mal seizures, and as soon as the seizure was over he always wanted out asap and would pee immediately. Seizure activity can cause one to lose ocntrol of bladder/bowel functions. Henry always loses his bladder/bowel when he has a Grand-Mal.

My Henry, he drinks a lot of water after a Grand-Mal. Seizure activity can overheat the body, thus the need for water. The one difference between your girl and my Henry is, when Henry has had a seizure, he eats like you would not believe. I have to give him his meal in small sections or he will practically inhale it.

The licking her lips and moving her mouth could be focal seizures. Focal seizures tend to happen in the mouth area. It could also be your girl trying to comfort herself. Henry licks himself excessivley when he needs comforting.

Your Christmas tree, (if you have one) make sure there are NO moving/blinking/twinkling lights!

There are several different kinds of seizures. I am not familiar with *all* of them. I am going to do a google search and be right back with a link for you.

Guest EmilyAnne

Here's a link to a page about Psychomotor seizures~ http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels...Psychomotor.htm

The second seizure description (of Molly the Sheperd/Husky mix's seizures) caught my attention as possibly having some similarities to your girl in that she is still walking around while having seizure activity?

Will be back with another link...

ETA: http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/site_map.htm to the middle on your left of this page it says 'Types Of Seizures'. This will help familiarize you with other kinds of seizures. Make sure you check out 'Partial or Focal Seizures'.

Edited by EmilyAnne

Guest RooCroo

Sure sounds like seizures to me. The Guardian Angels website has been a Godsend for us and our eplieptic hound Hoover. I *highly* recommend it.

I would suggest getting blood work for kidney and liver values. Imbalances and toxicity can aggravate seizure disorders.

Seizure meds can be quite effective, and don't be scared to use them. Hoover is on three different ones, but his condition is quite severe. A low dose of phenobarbital can control seizures in lots of dogs.

Good luck, and we pray you find an answer soon. :grouphug