Worried About Flashy...

The weather is brutal...Flashy has not gone potty since 3:00pm. I have taken him out 4 times...he lifts his feet and cries. I bundle him up in his coat and hat...even put socks on him...he just cries and shakes. Last time out he was lifting his feet and crying and then wouldn't walk. I am so worried...I KNOW he has to go real bad...he just won't do it. I know he won't have an accident in the house either...it worries me he will get sick if he doesn't go. Oh boy...I haven't a clue as to what to do. :(

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Are you letting him out in a fenced-in yard, or walking on lead? I ask because I find that my guys are more likely to go out in the snow if I've dug out a path for them. I did a lot of digging today. :blink: About 2' worth. In pouring rain, though, all bets are off and no one will set foot outside.

Flashy won't get sick if he holds it longer than usual. If he really, really has to go, he'll probably let you know; otherwise, he'll sleep through the night as usual. Susie, my broodie, often starts her siesta after supper (around 6) and wakes up at 5am. So relax, get some sleep, and hopefully there'll be nicer weather tomorrow. :)

ETA: Regular socks aren't much help in bad weather. He might do better with a water-resistant bootie. Check out the thread in EEG about booties.

Edited by houndznigz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest FullMetalFrank

Our new little girl Chelsa can hold it longer than any dog I have ever seen... She is not liking the really cold rain much, she was OK with the snow though. It's not uncommon for her to have her last turnout at 8 pm and not go again until 8 or 9 the next morning, with me coaxing her to go outside!

I'm just north of you so I understand current weather conditions. My greyhound held it from 11 PM last night until 1 PM this afternoon -- 14 hours. He never did go for me, the softie, but my no-nonsense husband, who generally ignores the dog, took him out and yelled at him to pee, and he did. Do you have someone handy, someone stern, who could take him out?

Or maybe, if it's his feet that are bothering him, you could lay a little path of throw rugs or old towels for him to walk on.

If he doesn't pee this morning, call the vet. Not trying to scare you, but he could be going into urinary retention. Easily rectified, but it does need to be treated.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest HersheysMom

Shovel a good path - the towels someone mentioned are a good idea. Plain sand is good, too - it's not as harsh on their feet as ice melt. Also, I know the temps are brutal, but it's much easier for me to get Sonie out for a quick potty if she is not wearing a coat, boots, etc. It sounds mean, but these things distract her and she seems uncomfortable pottying in them. Sometimes she won't even go out the door unless I remove the coat.

Did you check the pads on his feet? Johnny B got a whole bunch of cuts on his feet just from running in the snow yesterday. In his case, I am trying to keep boots on him.

I hope he goes soon!

ETA - do you have an overhang (by the garage maybe) that you can walk him under to pee?

Edited by HersheysMom

Has he peed yet, Patti? I shovel some paths for the dogs and have noticed that Joseph will pee on the mound of shoveled snow nearest the door; he does like to have something to lift his leg on. He will also pee on the doorframe at the outer entrance to the garage :lol .

Supposed to be marginally warmer today, at least here NW of you. It's still very cold but not as windy this morning.

Sending some warm thoughts to get your Flashy thru.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Same weather here in Iowa. I found that bundling the dogs up in coats made most of them stand at the back door like sheep, afraid to move. They have been much happier going out naked, even in this cold and wind. Zippy, however, didn't go out from morning til evening.

How did end up?

update??

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Thanks all. It is 8:10 and we have success. A very long and very concentrated pee pee and a beautiful poo. I left his coat off...put my coat and boots on and said lets go. It was KNOT easy pushing him out the door...but once I got him out he zoomed (Zoomin By was his racing name) to his potty place. See...this is a problem...he only pees and poos way over to the left side of the house...he thinks nobody can see him. He has done this since day 1 over 7 years ago and you are KNOT going to change his routine. He also will NEVER potty on a walkie...won't even leave pee mail...he'll sniff pee mail but not leave any. It makes it very difficult when we travel...he just does KNOT want to potty anywhere except in his private spot with no audience...not even his Mom. Sigh...that's my boy. :wub: He is now wrapped in his "pink" blankie as I am fixing breakfast and getting meds. The path to his "area" is pretty packed down and solid...there is no way I can move anything in that area with a shovel. He had a real hard time coming back in...it's like his feet knot up...it's hard to explain...but it looks like when you get a muscle spasm in your foot and it looks funny. At any rate...with a high of only 5 today...it's gonna be a long day and night. I am letting him out without the girls so I am able to help him along without the gals trying to chase us during their snow zoomies...Another day in paradise... :rolleyes:

Usethisone.jpg

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

Thank goodness!

If his path is packed down and solid, that's the best you can do anyways -- keeps snowballs from getting stuck in his feetsies.

Joseph and Zema will pee up by the house, but they too need to go to their private spots to poop. They will wear their sweaters, and Zema will wear booties, but we too often have the frozen foot routine in this weather.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm glad he finally went. I've been freezing here and we're at 38, I can't even imagine living in the winter conditions that many of you have to deal with. You and the dogs that is.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Thank goodness for pee and poop! Good boy Flashy! :clap

I have the opposite problem with Merlin. He simply will not poop in the backyard. So we need to take him for a walk even if it's -12 windchill in the middle of snowstorm :rolleyes: which is exactly what we did yesterday. And during the ice storm the week before :rolleyes: *sigh*

I do use Doggiez'Best reusable booties though, and they really help, because Merlin get "frozen paw syndrome" a lot.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Spencers_Greyt
Thanks all. It is 8:10 and we have success. A very long and very concentrated pee pee and a beautiful poo. I left his coat off...put my coat and boots on and said lets go. It was KNOT easy pushing him out the door...but once I got him out he zoomed (Zoomin By was his racing name) to his potty place. See...this is a problem...he only pees and poos way over to the left side of the house...he thinks nobody can see him. He has done this since day 1 over 7 years ago and you are KNOT going to change his routine. He also will NEVER potty on a walkie...won't even leave pee mail...he'll sniff pee mail but not leave any. It makes it very difficult when we travel...he just does KNOT want to potty anywhere except in his private spot with no audience...not even his Mom. Sigh...that's my boy. :wub: He is now wrapped in his "pink" blankie as I am fixing breakfast and getting meds. The path to his "area" is pretty packed down and solid...there is no way I can move anything in that area with a shovel. He had a real hard time coming back in...it's like his feet knot up...it's hard to explain...but it looks like when you get a muscle spasm in your foot and it looks funny. At any rate...with a high of only 5 today...it's gonna be a long day and night. I am letting him out without the girls so I am able to help him along without the gals trying to chase us during their snow zoomies...Another day in paradise... :rolleyes:

I'm glad he finally went - poor guy! You know he had to be uncomfortable! You should look into getting him some boots if the cold affects his feet so badly.

Thank Goodness. Oh the little things...

Thank goodness for pee and poop! Good boy Flashy! :clap

I have the opposite problem with Merlin. He simply will not poop in the backyard. So we need to take him for a walk even if it's -12 windchill in the middle of snowstorm :rolleyes: which is exactly what we did yesterday. And during the ice storm the week before :rolleyes: *sigh*

I do use Doggiez'Best reusable booties though, and they really help, because Merlin get "frozen paw syndrome" a lot.

Please tell me about these boots! I tried putting socks with a tread on the sole on him and secured them around his legs with vet wrap...then he wouldn't even take a step...and was shaking his feet. We need to figure something out here...I felt bad leaving the coat off...but it seemed to help. :blush

Usethisone.jpg

Poor Flashy!! Does it look like he's up on all toenails almost? That's what Damien used to do on unfamiliar slippery floors. Do you have any paw wax that might make him feel more secure, less likely to slip? I think the boots mentioned above would be a good choice, too.

Aaaawww, Flashman! He's not alone. Libby (who HATED the rain but LOVED the snow) once held it for more than 24 hours. And she would KNOT poop if she had her coat on. Silly girl! Glad everything's coming out OK for Flashy.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If he doesn't pee this morning, call the vet. Not trying to scare you, but he could be going into urinary retention. Easily rectified, but it does need to be treated.

I was going to say the same thing.

Unless Flash typically behaves like this in the cold, I'd be worried it had nothing to do with the cold.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck