748 members have voted

1. 1. Where does he rank with you?

• Swear by him and his methods
    • Watch the show but take it with a grain of salt
    • Only watch the show to see other people's woes
    • Cesar drives me nuts!
    • Have never watched the show

Guest JustLiverTreats

I am just curious to know what everyone thinks of Senor Millan - seems to be such a mixed reaction to him so I thought I would put it to the test!

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Giselle

CM has been discussed many times over and you can probably find a plethora of CM topics if you search here :)

He's a polarizing figure, that's all I'm going to say.

As for the manner in which he treats dogs, I will only say that I prefer to put my trust in psychological principles versus the highly controversial "dominance theory".

Never saw it or him! ;)

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest DarkHorse

I love watching the show but not so much for his actual training techniques as to just ogle the dogs, giggle at his accent and hope that the dogs start to roo at the TV like they did once (no real luck) :( I don't have anything against him and I think his techniques would certainly work on some dogs but the only one I practice is that good exercise makes a difference.

ETA: I do the same with "At the End of My Leash" and "It's Me or the Dog" when I can... CM is just on more frequently and reliably and has the accent as well.

Edited by DarkHorse

Guest LindsaySF
CM has been discussed many times over and you can probably find a plethora of CM topics if you search here :)

He's a polarizing figure, that's all I'm going to say.

As for the manner in which he treats dogs, I will only say that I prefer to put my trust in psychological principles versus the highly controversial "dominance theory".

IMO - CM (and other trainers of his school) use dominance theories as the basis of their techniques. This can only be successful on a limited basis, by a very confident and unafraid human who has a very good eye (and instinct) for the details of doggy body language. It does appear that it works for him, but in all the shows I've watched there is much less success from the average dog owner who has a "problem" dog. Sometimes, I think he just teaches them to be more confident and relaxed with their pets, and to actually treat them like dogs and not as pampered little furry human children.

Of course, my own pampered little furry children are the exception to everything I've just said!!! :lol::rolleyes:

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Daddybridge

I want to see these dogs he's worked with a year from the time he's worked with them. Those are the things you don't get to see.

And the man thinks it's a good idea to rollerblade with greyhounds. I mean, sure, well trained angel hounds maybe...but seriously? They hit top speed, you're on skates...you have absolutly no control. I've had to ask myself if he's ever met a greyhound or galgo...

But, as far as his methods and tecniques? I do not have tv (I have a tv and a dvd player...no local channels, cable, etc) so I have never seen his show. Never could get into the books...I stopped when I hit the rollerblading greyhound part.

Obviously he's done something right but I am no authority.

Guest neworleansmama

I love all the dog shows and wish I could get the "Dog Planet" channel instead of Animal Planet. I learn something from every show, but swallow none of them whole.

Cesar's book is interesting and shows a much more humane and sensible person than the TV shows. The best thing to me is that he tells people over and over and over that dogs need exercise and that dogs need leash walking.

Guest the36thchamber

My wife is full Mexican and I'm half Mexican so there's a familiarity culture wise about him that makes him easy for me to understand. For the most part though, as with anything in life, I take from it what I want and forget about the rest.

I watch his show when I can catch it. I think he has some good theories and incorporate some of his techniques into my daily training. He's just a trainer like all the others. Some of his things work for some people/pups and some don't. You have to pick and choose, as always, to see what works for you and your pup.

------

Jessica

Guest LokisMom

I don't believe everything he does but I do like the concept of discipline, exercise and affection. Now I think his idea of discipline and mine may differ as I prefer to think of it as rules or boundaries. So many of the owners on his show are doing some really...dumb stuff. I think it helps to have someone explain to them that dogs need exercise.

I also like it when he does his dog impressions, those are pretty funny. I watch it like any tv show. It's entertainment but I don't consider it a guide on how to train dogs.

Guest GREYTGLITTER

My DH and I watch Cesar. I like that most of the problems are with the owners. The show reminds us to be consistent in our methods and that training goes on every day.

Gator is a BIG boy (> 90 lbs) and used to pull a lot when on leash. We used some of Cesar's techniques to have Gator walk better on leash - mainly diverting his attention when he gets too focused. I really like it when Cesar tells the owners to use a non-retractable leash :).

I also think that he (and other similar shows) tell owners that their dogs can learn new behaviors. I have a tendency to raise my voice if the dogs are plucking my last nerve and have learned to become calm/assertive when that starts to occur. What a difference in the dogs when I stay calm.

I want to see these dogs he's worked with a year from the time he's worked with them. Those are the things you don't get to see.

And the man thinks it's a good idea to rollerblade with greyhounds. I mean, sure, well trained angel hounds maybe...but seriously? They hit top speed, you're on skates...you have absolutly no control. I've had to ask myself if he's ever met a greyhound or galgo...

But, as far as his methods and tecniques? I do not have tv (I have a tv and a dvd player...no local channels, cable, etc) so I have never seen his show. Never could get into the books...I stopped when I hit the rollerblading greyhound part.

You have GOT to see gter Brindles rollerblade with her greys!!

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

You have GOT to see gter Brindles rollerblade with her greys!!

Oh....I want to!

(I've cracked that joke before too but I always wanted to see somebody who does)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest tobinhr
I love all the dog shows and wish I could get the "Dog Planet" channel instead of Animal Planet. I learn something from every show, but swallow none of them whole.

What she said... :colgate

Also, I like "It's Me or the Dog" better for training and such. But it seems like a majority of the problems are solved by EXERCISE and a SCHEDULE. :P

Jan

Joey, who is still learning the schedule and keeps Mom's carpet cleaner in use...

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

Where did you hear/see this? I know he's done the rollerblading thing (in several episodes) with other breeds or mixed breeds to get some of their pent-up energy released and give working dogs their "purpose" of pulling someone/something but... never seen him do this with greys.

I like Cesar Millan. Just as with anyone else though, not everything he says/does is absolute to me, my dog or everyone else's dog. I never got the sense that he intended this, anyways. I think he has a great deal of expertise and wisdom -- if it's not for you and your dog, oh well. Plenty of other methods out there. I do not agree, in the least, with those who find his methods detrimental.

if nothing else, he's at least gotten a lot more average dog owners to think about training and/or exercising their dogs.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Hokiebuck

I really agree with CM. I started my training using his methods and have evolved a bit to use some of Victoria's and others for different situations. But I think the basis of ALL interactions with dogs and their problems evolve from lack of leadership. Yes food rewards can be helpful to get the initial behaviors you want, but you eventually remove the food, and what is left? Your leadership and expectation that when you say down, the dog goes down whether you have a treat or not.

As for rollarblading...if the dog is well behaved why not? Most largish breeds can go WAY faster than you want to on rollerblades (not just 40+mph greys). The vislas, and other breeds he's rollerbladed with could easily sprint and put you on your can. But he has CONTROL so they know not to. People just do not choose to control their dogs on walks so why would they dare try rollerblading?

I think part of the dislike of CM is the knee jerk pessimissm (sp?) that occurs with any overly successful celebrity, whether it be a evanglist, self-help guru, or whomever. I do want to give CM credit. If you notice in the more recent episodes (compared to his first season) he is talking more about getting expert help with dogs, and he is using more possitive reinforcement techniques, like clicker training. The first season I don't think I ever saw him use food etc. I believe he is evolving in his knowledge and techniques and recognizes that there are many different ways to address these behaviors.

I have watched a majority of his shows...read two of his three books and have a DVD. So yes, I am a fan. But I would personally use about 85-90% of what he teaches because I don't have the breadth of knowledge he does. But the more I watch the more calm I am in difficult situations (ie charging stray dog, etc)

My wife is full Mexican and I'm half Mexican so there's a familiarity culture wise about him that makes him easy for me to understand. For the most part though, as with anything in life, I take from it what I want and forget about the rest.

Being Hispanic myself, I can relate to this statement. Cesar is "familiar".

I do read CM's books (don't watch the show) just as I have read Stilwell, Brannigan, Rugass (sp?), the Monks of New Skete etc. I take from each trainer what I and my dog need and what I feel is appropriate to the situation and temperament of the dog I am training.

The more knowledge I have, the better my relationship will be with my hound and the happier we both will be.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I don't believe you need to be physical with dogs to teach them. I am ALL about positive reinforcement. :) What concerns me most about CM is that his whole training is based upon dominance theory, which has been debunked in recent years, prompting the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour (AVSAB) to release a statement on the issue. You can find it here.

Where did you hear/see this? I know he's done the rollerblading thing (in several episodes) with other breeds or mixed breeds to get some of their pent-up energy released and give working dogs their "purpose" of pulling someone/something but... never seen him do this with greys.

I like Cesar Millan. Just as with anyone else though, not everything he says/does is absolute to me, my dog or everyone else's dog. I never got the sense that he intended this, anyways. I think he has a great deal of expertise and wisdom -- if it's not for you and your dog, oh well. Plenty of other methods out there. I do not agree, in the least, with those who find his methods detrimental.

I'm thinking he read "Be The Pack Leader." pages 148-149 in the hardcover. I had to read it for a training class. He specifically mentions rollerblading/biking with sighthounds.

That's what I've cracked jokes from. Though, like I said, I'd love to see somebody do it. Would be really cool. I couldn't...lol...high, high, high prey galgo and high prey greys...and me not having greyt balance. *splat!*

I have no problem with Cesar. I take many of his methods with a grain of salt until I can see the dogs he's worked with after the fact. A month, 5 months, a year, etc. I want to see that he has solved the problem and not just masked it for tv or gave it a temporary fix. He has encouraged excercise, affection, training but I don't think all his methods would work on all dogs. JMHO.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Guest Hokiebuck

I'm thinking he read "Be The Pack Leader." pages 148-149 in the hardcover. I had to read it for a training class. He specifically mentions rollerblading/biking with sighthounds. Then goes on for a paragraph about the evils of racing.

That's what I've cracked jokes from. Though, like I said, I'd love to see somebody do it. Would be really cool. I couldn't...lol...high, high, high prey galgo and high prey greys...and me not having greyt balance. *splat!*

I have no problem with Cesar. I take many of his methods with a grain of salt until I can see the dogs he's worked with after the fact. A month, 5 months, a year, etc. I want to see that he has solved the problem and not just masked it for tv or gave it a temporary fix. He has encouraged excercise, affection, training but I don't think all his methods would work on all dogs. JMHO.

ETA page numbers

I would be willing to be that any deterioration in the training later would be the fault of the owners not being consistent with what they were taught. If you want to see the long term effects of his techniques, then look at the 40 some dogs at his center that appear well balanced and happy. That would be the best illustration of the long term effectiveness of his techniques.

Leadership is not a one time deal. It is a lifetime committment to your dog!