Split Skin On Toe!

Guest Mollysmum

Guest Mollysmum

Hi :-)

Molly came in from running laps and she has split the skin on the top of her toe - the split is less than 1/4 inch long. I assume she stuck a stick in to it and ripped it??

I have washed it and put Animax on it. She showed no pain when I was cleaning it at all (good??)

Is this something that I can handle at home with frequent cleaning, Animax and a baby sock, or e-vet time?

Just thought I would spend 5 mins to ask here, as I would have to take 4 kids with me :colgate:colgate:colgate

Thanks so much!

M

How deep is it? I would have it looked at, if at all possible, because if it does need stitches, the sooner the better.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I have done my fair share of cleaning , wrapping and keeping the toes dry. It will heal up. The challenge is to keep the toes from rubbing together too much while it is bandaged. I put a little gauze between the toes. then use athletic tape to tape the toe nails together. NOT TOO CLOSE TOGETHER. just enough so they don't split open to far. wrap the foot, keep it dry. it does take a while to heal. but it will

but,,,, I did this because i was told, once the webbing tears, stitches sometimes don't hold. and I thought I'd rather doctor it up myself, rather than wait for the next time,, then the next time.

good luck!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest Mollysmum

Back from the e-vets. Stitches, antibiotics and a pretty purple bandage :colgate

After talking to the vet it wouldn't have healed on it's own - she did need the stitches. She's relaxing in her crate, and I'm making chicken for her dinner!

Thanks!

M

Glad it all turned out for the best! Hope she enjoyed the chicken! Molly sure is a cutie, but then I might be just a "little" partial to those black hounds! Here come some good thoughts and healing light!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Poor baby, give her a gentle kiss from Patrick--the king of foot injuries.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.