Lexy's Missing Toe Nail

Guest Hollys2hounds

Guest Hollys2hounds

I am writing this from work, and not physically with Lexy at the moment.

Lexy was being her normal nutty self today, running like a lunatic, and playing joyfully. Upon her coming into the house, we noticed she was bleeding, and it seems her toe nail is missing. She was not in any pain--not limping, not favoring her foot, so we dipped her foot in corn starch, and the bleeding seemed to stop.

I went off to work, and have received a few calls from DH that Lexy's foot seems to start and stop bleeding. He put her foot into a sock, and then she bled thru the sock. He used some styptic powder, and that again stopped it for a while.

I spoke with the vet, and they don't seem very concerned.... DH says it starts and stops with her movement.

Any ideas? suggestions? I will not be home for three more hours, but DH can always bring her to e-vet and I can meet him...

Edited by Hollys2hounds

Been through it several times with Misty. As long as you can get the bleeding to stop, no need to run to an e-vet. You may want to consider calling your vet for an antibiotic just to be sure no infection sets in. My experience has been if the quick is exposed, it's going to hurt. With Misty I made sure to have Tramadol on hand for the first few days

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Oh my poor sister!!! Chloe says :kiss2:kiss2:kiss2:kiss2 and to make you feel better Lexy, this too is for you.

:cookie

Love you, Chloe (and the rest of her pack too!)

xoxoxox

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest SoulsMom

Soul has done this also. He didn't act like he was in any pain, so once the bleeding stopped I just kept it aired out and clean. Gave it a spray of Bactine after he would come in from the yard.

Ouch! Poor baby! Hug her for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest greyvettech

I agree, If the bleeding stops,no need to see the vet. An anti-biotic is a good suggestion though because it is a place that can be rich with bacteria,better be safe than sorry..Is the nail completly gone?, if not she may have a piece of nail/quick that is hanging and as she moves, it bleeds..If this is the case, she needs it pulled or it will continue to be sore and bleed...Good luck to you and Lexy... I have a Lexi too:)

Guest twoskinnydogs

I have had this happen to a wild boy foster I had several years ago. The entire nail was gone, I called the vet and they said to watch it and start him on antibotics. This has also happened at the kennel a few times. Does not appear to be painful if the whole nail is gone, just kinda messy for a while. :getwell Lexi

Any updates? How is she doing?

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Hollys2hounds

Thanks for asking,...

the bleeding has stopped, but she doesn't seem like herself today. I put a sock on her foot just to protect it, and I will be speaking with the vet later about possibly giving her an antibiotic.

My nutty girl will be fine I am sure!

Guest Hollys2hounds

Lexy started her antibiotics, and is in fine spirits tonight.

Seems to have no pain at all.... I put her in the yard without the others, and she started RUNNING..... YIKES ... SO...it's walks for her for now!!!

Thanks for all the advice, and shared experiences!!

Here's hoping that's the end of the story!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead