Taking Rudy In Today For A Thyroid Test

Guest argolola

I know there are a few different things that can cause a clotting disorder but the only one I've had experience with is Von Willebrands. Have had 2 Greys with this disorder.But I know there are people here who are well versed with this. Just out of curiosity, is your vet pretty Grey savy?

Thanks. Our vet practice has several vets, but we got our favorite vet tonight. She is fairly grey saavy. Von Willebrands was the first thing I thought of.

They would know to check for VW because when the labs came back, first indication would be large platelets, it would be the first clue

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest argolola

Jey, we waited for the results so I have the paper. The result for platelet is 111 and the norm says 175-500, but greys may be different.

Edited by argolola

Not questioning your vet but, in greys, platelets and WBC are quite often lower than other breeds and the RBC and HCT are higher than the norm. Did they say how low? Sure doesn't explain the fever--did they check for lyme or other TBD's. I would monitor the temp at home to see how much it fluctuates through out the day/night. They can run a clotting profile but, quite honestly the most simple test is to see how quickly his blood clots after the blood draw (while it sits in the blood separator tube). A good tech (assuming they drew the blood) would let the Dr know if there was a prolonged clotting time. Do you think it's time to seek out an internist?

Edited by tbhounds

111000 isn't too low for a greyhound, but if he's acting run down and having some fever, antibiotics aren't a bad approach.

With fever and a dog like Rudy, it is hard to know -- does he have one, or doesn't he? My Zema will run a fever at the vet's office just from nerves. We have to take it at home to find out if she really has one. Something Rudy might not appreciate at the present time (rectal thermometer, especially if it goes BEEP BEEP BEEP when it's done :lol ) .

The folks as OSU don't seem to get excited until greyhound platelets get below 70000-80000, but other greyhound savvy vets like to see them a bit higher than that.

ETA: Re clotting disorder: If he bruises badly from every blood draw, next thing you might suggest to your vet is to knick his gums someplace and see how fast he clots up. Maybe not very, if he's at the vet's and excited, but it's another quick, easy test. The bloodwork for clotting is expensive. We ran it on Joseph because he did bruise badly on his first couple blood draws. Vets were all spooked and would not do any further work on Joseph without the clotting/vanW panels. Which were all clear. Evidently Joseph's system was just messing with our heads because it's never happened again.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Red has a clotting problem and we also paid for the tests. He does not have VW. He's just low on one of his whatever it is... (it's getting late and I am pooped)

He doesn't run a fever. He does bleed a lot with his dentals/extractions and takes a long time to heal after extractions. The vets give him a vit K shot before his dentals, and that seems to help.

Hope the doxy helps Rudy feel better :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.