Joe -- Another Bad Night

Guest joedogs_mom

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest joedogs_mom

Joe has been calm since 2:30 am.

It was so weird -- my in-laws got here to be with me son early this morning when Joe was not good. I put on Joe's coat and fed him hot dogs...and it was like he KNEW I was about to take him somewhere not good. He had been pacing for about an hour and yelping...well, he turned around and went to our bedroom and finally sat down. He's been there ever since.

So now I'm going -- is he okay to wait now for my husband?

He is not panting and is just closing his eyes right now resting.

Torture folks, torture.

I am glad he does seem better over the last few hours though.

I'm just going to take it minute by minute at this point because the going back and forth is killing me.

Edited by joedogs_mom

Sending lots of hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He sounds OK to wait if he's calm.

Are you sure the shot for LS isn't an option for him? It may be "last ditch" but it could bring back his hind end, unless there he has too many other issues that make it not worth doing.

In any event, I'm so sorry you're going through this. :(

Marcia

What a horrible thing to be going through, both of you. All I can offer is a special prayer for you and Joe. We will light a special candle for him this morning. He was on my mind all night wondering how he was doing.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Laura, I'm so sorry you're going thru this. I know how hard it is and you have to do what you feel is right. Enjoy the time you have with Joe and hopefully he'll be ok until tomorrow. Hugs for you and Joe.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Guest joedogs_mom

I had to come in to work for a couple of hours. I just talked to Dr. Pearce, and he said that Tramadol is a very safe drug and that I can even double the dosage if necessary just to keep Joe comfortable. A big part of his problem I think is that he can't even get comfortable enough to sleep at night. I think that's what was going on in the wee hours of this morning when I just decided to go ahead and give him the Tramadol early. Within an hour (and after I'd drug my inlaws out of bed to come over and help with my toddler son), he was lying down on his side (he has been VERY hesitant to do that...he's really just been sitting in sphynx position).

He ate this morning and was lying down when I left the house. I hope he'll sleep for awhile. I'll go home for lunch to check on him...then unfortunately my toddler has to go in to the doctor, too.

Dr. Pearce said he will come over to our house any time to put him down...at this point, my goal is to make it until my husband gets back (lunchtime tomorrow provided no flight delays). And I need my husband to realize that it is time.

Thank you everyone. And I apologize if I'm all over the place -- I haven't slept much for the last 4-5 days. I'm making it though and keeping my local Starbucks in business at the same time.

Edited by joedogs_mom

Sending prayers and the most gentle hugs to all of you. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest joedogs_mom

Just got back from checking on Joe - he met me at the door, went to potty, and ate a good lunch (he's getting as many meals a day as he wants). He seems to be responding well to the more frequent Tramadol dosing. I'm glad I have this flexibility. My in-laws have offered to keep my son tonight, and I will probably take them up on it so that I can be with Joe...and hopefully all creatures in my house can get good rest. My husband gets home tomorrow at lunch, and I will be glad he can help me sort through all of this and see his baby.

It's the ups and downs that are making this so hard...I'm even more worried now that we won't know when to put him to sleep because he seems to be rallying during the days...the nights are just BAD. And add to the equation that his condition is DEGENERATIVE and there is really nothing to be done at this point other than attempt to manage the pain. I am SO GLAD he perked up in the wee hours this morning and that I did NOT take him to the e-vet for euthanasia. Praying that tonight will be good though.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by joedogs_mom

We will continue to keep Joe and your family in our thoughts. Keep rallying, Joe!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Keeping Joe ..and both of you in my prayers. I know how ard it is, I was there this summer. No sleep, and hearing them cry out..not knowing what to do, it's a horrible place to be. Not sure in your case if this is an option, but our vet let me give her 3 Tramadols (150 mg) and a Valium 4-5 times a day, and it was a tremendous help to add the Valium. No more yelping, and she slept peacefully.

Guest joedogs_mom
Keeping Joe ..and both of you in my prayers. I know how ard it is, I was there this summer. No sleep, and hearing them cry out..not knowing what to do, it's a horrible place to be. Not sure in your case if this is an option, but our vet let me give her 3 Tramadols (150 mg) and a Valium 4-5 times a day, and it was a tremendous help to add the Valium. No more yelping, and she slept peacefully.

His original Tramadol Rx was for 3, 0.75 mg tablets 2x per day. The vet said I could double that essentially if absolutely necessary. Would it be best to just give him the dosage, let's say, every 8 hours instead of every 12 or actually give him 6 pills 2x/day? I'm thinking the more frequent dosage of 3 pills every 8-10 hours? OR just as needed?

DebR -- how did you know it was time? If you don't mind me asking?

Edited by joedogs_mom

A friend gives her greyhounds 2 or 3 50 mg tramadols every 6 to 8 hours on bad days. She's a retired nurse anesthetist and knows pain meds and she has no problem giving that much. The dogs just relax a lot; there are no side effects in her dogs other than pain relief, which helps them get around better.

There are three hallmarks about when it's the right time to put a pet down; it's when they don't do their 3 favorite things anymore. I always consider if they're eating and keeping it down and if their pain can be controlled or not. It's often a tough decision, but if they're starving to death because of lack of nourishment, it's definitely time.

Marcia

Guest joedogs_mom
A friend gives her greyhounds 2 or 3 50 mg tramadols every 6 to 8 hours on bad days. She's a retired nurse anesthetist and knows pain meds and she has no problem giving that much. The dogs just relax a lot; there are no side effects in her dogs other than pain relief, which helps them get around better.

There are three hallmarks about when it's the right time to put a pet down; it's when they don't do their 3 favorite things anymore. I always consider if they're eating and keeping it down and if their pain can be controlled or not. It's often a tough decision, but if they're starving to death because of lack of nourishment, it's definitely time.

Marcia

He is definitely eating...maybe not normal kibble but hot dogs, ground turkey, brown rice, Pedigree canned food, macaroni and cheese, yogurt, Milkbones, etc.

He *did* bark 2x at squirrels this morning in the backyard. He is NOT running around.

So, I think he is doing okay. Very sedentary though...but that's probably from the pain meds, well, and plus, he knows he can't do a lot.

I KNOW I shouldn't let him jump on the bed...and I've tried to prevent it...last night even with the golf club up (normally this would deter him), he jumped up on our bed to be with me. I would say that is a good sign too...or possibly him just knowing he might not have too much time left with us and wanting to be close? If only he could talk!

We had no choice....

she got up on our bed and was never able to walk again. I think I mentioned this in a different thread, but she was on Pred as well, and it caused her stomach to perforate, and she couldn't recover from that. We had to carry her to the car. (she was only 2) I do think that more frequent doses keep them more comfortable, and the valium took away all her anxiety about it, she was much more comfortable after he added the valium, and I found quite often she didn't need 3 Tramadols, but 2 would suffice, and she was very comfortable.

If you ever need to talk, please feel free to pm me, and I'll give you my number.

It sounds to me like Joe's feeling a lot better. If you keep those 3 things in mind, you'll know when it's time. Sure doesn't sound like it's today!

He's eating well; maybe he's bored with his usual kibble? Barking at squirrels is a very good sign. Good to know he's still interested in this world, not the one hereafter!

There were several days scattered around when we thought we'd have to put our Cullen down because of his back and leg troubles. He had several days when he couldn't walk far enough to make it to the yard to pee. Tramadol totally turned him around the last time. He lived another year; cancer took him, not his hind end. He would not have lived without the tramadol and he eventually needed only 100 mg a day (50+50).

May Joe keep surprising you!

Marcia