Amber Is Rushing Soul To The Vet

Just saw this. I will continue to pray that Soul has a speedy and full recovery.

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oldNELLIE

Oh, how scary!

Something like this happened to Nellie last spring (turned out to be stress colitis (sp?) ). It was like nothing I have ever seen. I though she was going to die right there. My thoughts are with you, Amber and Soul!

Guest ArtysPeople

Healing thoughts and best wishes for Amber and Soul.

FWIW, the site that someone linked to earlier with information on HGE lists Hypoadrenocorticism (Addison's) as one of the possible causes of bleeding that needs to be eliminated in order to make a diagnosis of HGE.

Healing thoughts and best wishes for Amber and Soul.

FWIW, the site that someone linked to earlier with information on HGE lists Hypoadrenocorticism (Addison's) as one of the possible causes of bleeding that needs to be eliminated in order to make a diagnosis of HGE.

That's interesting. Hope Amber sees this soon. I'm sure she'll come online once she's got home and had the chance to settle Soul somwhere comfortable. Poor boy :(

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Oh, Soul Man! I know how much Amber loves her boy. Sending prayers out for both of them, and hoping for a good news update.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Tasha's brother Boris had Addisons disease. We were able to control it for 6 years with monthly injections. That is also when we switched to a raw diet which helped considerably. Boris was first diagnosed when it was much less common and his initial diagnosis was kidney failure and that he probably would not survive the week. Then another very sharp vet who will forever be our hero thought to try the adrenal test on him and confirmed her diagnosis. He was able to live a fairly normal life thereafter. He passed 2 years ago.

A very good link for addisons is AD site

There is also a very good discussion group yahoo group

I hope that AD is not ultimately Soul's dx but if it is there is definitely hope!

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

8-14-hound-siggy.jpg?gl=US

Living a GREYT life at the Hound Hacienda - Clarkdale, Arizona

Always missing our angel hounds; Parker, Lacey, Bella, Figgy, Macho, Aspen, Kingman and Tillie

Adding my prayers and waiting to hear more news. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Oh man, I just saw this. This is terrible and I am so sorry.

Loads of prayers for Soul.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

adding my prayers for Soul :hope :hope

adding my prayers for Soul :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Angus had HGE a few months before he went to the bridge. Very scary. Hope Soul is O.K. Angus went to the E-Vet and then regular vet next day and they put him on an IV and lots of meds which I had to give him by injection over the weekend. He did recover but lost a lot of weight.

Make a fast friend adopt a greyhound

springflat.jpg

Guest SoulsMom

WOW, you all are amazing, thank you so, so much. And thank you Kerry, for being my "life-line" to GT.

Well, the diagnosis is no diagnosis yet. Soul is VERY uncomfortable and KNOT feeling well at all. His temp was normal, and my vet could "feel" nothing on the rectal exam, just more blood :( The initial bloodwork came back with the RBC's in the "high, but not panic yet" stage. If his heart rate had been over 100 the vet wanted to keep him overnight on fluids. As it was, he was right at 100 and he administered fluids under the skin, along with a tummy soother (basically Pepcid). His blood and fecal have been sent out for extensive testing. His elctrolytes (sp?) will be looked at for Addisons. Since his bloodwork from Tufts a month ago came back normal, he's going to consult with them and see excatly what tests they ran. As mentioned the concern is HGE, Addisons, or something associated with his Lupus. We came home with special food, Flagyl, and Probiotics, all of which he has zero interest in. I tried to give him his pill and he spit it out, which Archie promptly scarfed down <_< So, I had to pill him, which Soul was not too happy about (who would be?). The vet said if tonight he shows even more blood in his stools then he needs to go spend the night at Tufts on fluids.

So, basically it's wait and see until the tests come back tomorrow. Soul keeps getting up and moving around and is so, so uncomfortable. But the worst part of the vet visit for him was that he couldn't turn around and kiss the nurse while she was giving him the fluids. :wub: My sweet monkey, I'm so worried. Seeing that amount of blood come out of your dog is horrifying.

Oh and yes, the blood is darker, so it from deeper in. But not black, so that's encouraging. Thanks to everyone again, and please, if you have any thoughts let me know. Soul is far to sweet to be feeling this bad :cry1