Sophie Is Licking Herself Raw...

Guest brandi007

Guest brandi007

Well Sophie has been licking the inside of her right front elbow raw over the last 2ish days. She's always been a big-time licker but I've never seen her do it to the point she's pulled all the hair out and has a red raw rash-thing. I'm not sure if the rash is from her licking it so much or is the reason why she's licking so much.

I noticed Sophie had a little bit of a limp when I first got her that would show up in long walks and she tends to favor one leg over another - going through my old emails I found one from her previous mum.

About the leg thing: quite a while ago---maybe 2

years ago, I noticed Sophie had this crackly texture

under the skin of One of her front legs. I rushed

her to the vet and they diagnosed her with a tetanus

infection: I had caught it just in time and they

were able to put her on a very heavy regimen of

antibiotics. She has always kinda "licked" one of

her front legs. I have no idea if that is from her

infection, but the vet took a follow up look and

said she had recovered fully.

So the infection would of been about 5 years ago, could this be it? If I have to take her to the vet I will but I would rather goto the vet with a little bit of an idea rather than doing an insane amount of useless tests that cost me a fortune and did nothing to help (like what happened with Hannah and her Demodex).

Thanks so much....

Guest oldNELLIE

I don't know anything about the idea of an infection, but 5 years seems like a long time for it to be the same thing...?

I do also have a dog that is a super licker, though, and will do this when her routine is upset (this past time, DH was out of town and even though I was home...panic!)

We get a liquid bandage from the vet to put over the spot, and really correct her anytime she goes for it, some times even with a squirt bottle. The vet explained to me that the sensation they get from licking is like a child sucking it's thumb. There is an endorphin component to it and it becomes very comforting. The liquid bandage dulls that sensation.

It is possible your Sophie just got a little cut or scrape and has made it worse on her own. Or maybe there is some scar tissue or something sort of uncomfortable left over from the infection that she's been fussing with? I'd take her to the vet and have them see if it looks like anything more than that.

Guest DeweytheGreyt

Could you cut the end off a sock and then secure it over her elbow with vet wrap for a couple days to see if it is the licking that is causing the rash or the rash is causing the licking?

When Tori goes overboard licking (which doesn't take much :rolleyes: ) I've found that wearing a t-shirt for a couple of days will break her attention away from whatever the owie du jour might be. Boys' size Large shirts work great for her (she's 58 lbs. but pretty wide in the chest). The sleeves fit perfectly, then I just gather the extra on the top of her back with a rubber band. She's wearing one now because she licked her IV site (from a recent dental) raw.

Good luck!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Our angel girl Simon used to have a lick spot on her foreleg that was bald already when she came to us at age 7 . She tended to lick it throughout her life with us, though the worst that ever happened to it was that it got chapped and sore when she was doing it a lot. If it got sore, we put a size large, stretchy, women's long sleeved tshirt on her, cutting the sleeves to ankle length if need be. The vet thought it was a comfort habit.

Guest brandi007

So you all just think I should focus on preventing her from licking rather than worrying that she has something going on? I know I could stop her but was more concerned with figuring out why she would lick herself raw like that....

I'm feeling a little more relieved at the fact that others have dogs that do this - I'll try to get a picture of the spot when I get home

Since you don't know which came first, the licking or the rash, the first thing would be to get her to stop licking. Once she hasn't licked it for a couple of days you'll have a better idea whether it's really a rash, or just was irritated from too much licking. Once you know the answer to that question you'll know what your next step should be :)

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest BlackandBrindle

Put her in a long sleeve tshirt or something and see if you can prevent licking for a couple of days and go from there.

Hugs for Sophie!

Guest guinness_the_greyt

My boy Harley did this behaviour as a comfort thing. My girl Brooklyn however does it if she's in pain.... If you aren't sure why she's doing it then it may be worth a wellness visit to the vet.