Cherry, Simple The Best! (aka Cherry Pickin, Miss Priss, And Princ

Scottandjo

I have been waiting for this to get easier, but it has been almost 4 weeks since Cherry left us and it is not getting any easier to think about her. It has gotten easier overall, but when I sit to think about doing this, I still get emotional; however, I need to do this and move on. A 4 part story: I have tried to put pictures in that are from each timeframe. This is lengthy since I just recently joined GT and I think her story needs to be told.

Part 1 – The adoption and early years:

We were not greyhound people; Cherry was our first greyhound although we had had dogs in the past and still had 2 cats. The best estimate of when Cherry joined our family is late February or early March of 1997. We had just lost our little terrier mutt and I had decided that we should not get anymore dogs. Although this position had been well advertised, my youngest son (Anthony about 19 at the time) adopted Cherry from a small greyhound rescue in someone’s home in Goffstown, NH, while I was on a business trip.

When I returned, Anthony was keeping the dog downstairs. Cherry did not yet know how to come up stairs and I would see these deep brown probing eyes staring up at me. Well, it didn’t take but a day or two for Cherry to figure out the stairs so a couple of days later this skinny, geeky looking (that was what I thought at that time) dog arrived in my living room. Cherry was wondering who this guy was that wouldn’t say hi to her and seemed to be mad. She decided that I needed some extra attention and took to placing her head on my leg while I would sit in the recliner, trying to lay on the couch with me when I was napping, and in general following me around and being absolutely charming. I couldn’t stay mad after Cherry turned on the charm. As the years went by, Cherry was the ultimate low maintenance, easy going, perfect dog. She spent most of the early years with Anthony downstairs and visited us regularly (usually, with her early morning assault landing in our bed to announce it was time to get up). We would take care of her needs when Anthony was not around but she was definitely his dog. Life with a greyhound was good.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Part 2 – The middle years:

In 2003, Anthony got married and moved into an apartment that didn’t accept large dogs. He came to us all upset that he had tried to find a good home for Cherry, but that he had failed. He stated that they would take her back at a greyhound rescue. My wife and I both said that there was no way that Cherry was going back into rescue at 9 years old and that she had a perfectly wonderful home with us for however long she needed one. This guy that didn’t want another dog had just fought to keep the geeky looking dog, although by that point I thought she was the most beautiful dog ever.

Over the next 4 years, Cherry, my wife Jo, and I were constant companions. We went to the beach together. She became my perfect walking companion. And Cherry went on to stay a happy, well adjusted, low maintenance, easy going, perfect dog. She would cuddle if you wanted, she loved being around people, but she never seemed to need much to stay happy. Her health was nothing short of amazing until spring of 2007, when she was 12.5 years old. She started to walk on the tops of her back feet and would fall over every once in awhile. She was diagnosed with lumbosacral stenosis and put on Deramaxx twice a day. Although these helped the situation greatly, she never got back to her previous graceful abilities so we had to cut back out walks to 15 minutes morning and afternoon. I could not ignore the fact that somewhere along the line, age had started to catch up to our now 13+ year old greyhound. These were probably the best years we ever had with Cherry, seniors rock. She became more affectionate and really appreciated special treats and things we would do. The bond between human and greyhound grew very strong.

FAS-MyPics089.jpg

Image8.jpg

ScottandCherryonbeach.jpg

Part 3 - The final year:

Cherry was very stubborn, independent, and proud. She had an ability to fight through tough situations, which became tremendously apparent this past year. Even when things were at their worst, up to the last 3 days, Cherry would demand her walks, treats, and attention and when we would walk, she always wanted to do more. I think this played into us not really knowing how bad she was feeling this past summer. After a few trips to the vet, we had her put on Hormone replacement, which stopped problems with incontinence, and some pills that helped the kidneys, which were starting to have problems. All seemed so good that in August, we took a 3 week vacation and left her with Anthony. When we came home the end of August, we were told that she had fell on the hardwood floor while running to the door to go out, and had limped the last couple of days. After a week, things had not improved with the limp so we took her to the vet. X-rays didn’t show anything so she was put her on pain killers to help her heal from whatever injury that she had sustained in the fall. Over the next few weeks the pain killers were not helping much anymore and the limp was getting worse. We scheduled another visit with the vet. During this exam, the leg let out a loud pop when the doctor extended it, Cherry never put any weight on the leg again. The x-rays showed cancer in the right shoulder and what looked like a slight fracture. We decided to try a heavy duty pain patch and see how she would react, since she was not really a good candidate for other treatments given her age and condition. After a couple of days, it was obvious that Cherry had reached the end of her ability to overcome adversity and that she was in pain and not happy anymore. On Wednesday, 1 October, 2008, the vet came to the house and Cherry was set free of the pain.

CIMG1832.jpg

CIMG2080.jpg

CIMG2123.jpg

Part 4 – Life after Cherry:

Life after Cherry’s passing has been harder than I had ever imagined it would be. Having lived with us almost 12 years, signs of her are everywhere and thinking of her is impossible to avoid. We are in the process of moving and we are going to rent this house to Anthony. They are going to adopt another greyhound since he now has a dog friendly landlord. We plan to borrow the dog for walks and when the kids are not around. It is a win-win for everyone since this greyhound has twice as many people providing for its needs. We intend to start looking as soon as our moves are completed, this should be around the 1st of December. To rescue another greyhound is the finest tribute we can pay to Cherry. She was simply the best, can never be replaced, will always be missed by her family and friends, and will for always be loved. I am making a shadow box with her collar, her tags, her jacket, her pedigree, and some other trinkets she had collected through time including her favorite stuffy. I am also including the large stack of Sympathy cards we got in her honor; it is truly a tribute to this fantastic dog. Rest well my love and remember, Scott, Jo, Jimmy, Anthony, Erica, Aleaha, and many friends will miss you always. Good night “Miss Priss”.

InMemoryofCherry.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest houndstooth4

That was a beautiful tribute! It reminded me a lot of the loss we felt when Treat went to the Bridge in the beginning of May. It is amazing how many lives one special dog can touch! I'm so sorry for your loss. :f_pink

A touching and most beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl. Thank you for sharing your precious little girl with us. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm so sorry. :cry1 Thank you for telling us about her.

Godspeed Cherry.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry for your loss. She was beautiful and so lucky to have found her way into your lives.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

You've written a beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl. I'm sorry she had to leave you.

Run with the wind, forever and ever, precious Cherry.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What a beautiful tribute. I'm so sorry for the loss of your special Cherry :f_pink

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest greytfulhounds

What a beautiful tribute. :cry1 It sounds like Cherry had a wonderful life with your family. I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet girl. :grouphug

When the time is right I am sure your angel girl will guide you to your new family member.

:f_pink:gh_lay:f_pink

Reading that beautiful tribute made my heart ache with yours. May your pain lessen as your memories sustain you and your family. Run free, Cherry.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow