Pancreatic Inflammation

Guest PrestosJeff

Guest PrestosJeff

Our Chico is 7 years old, was having GI problems--diarrhea, gas, crazy stomach noises at night--and was diagnosed with an inflammation of his pancreas last week. He has not had any problems with eating meals or vomiting during his illness. He's doing well with his medication--pepcid, metronidazole, and Baytril; and on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice.

His energy level is improving; and he continues to eat well on the bland diet. I'd like to feed him a lower fat diet when he is allowed to return to regular food. He was eating Solid Gold Hund and Flocken mixed with some Prairie canned lamb food. Do you have any recommendations for good quality, low fat foods? I was thinking about the lite formulas of either Avoderm or California Natural chicken and rice?

Hope I posted this in the right area--health and medical vs. diet! Thank you all for your help!

Jeff

It's on the expensive side, but you might consider the Wellness CORE Reduced Fat Formula--33% protein/9% fat. I think the problem with some of the "light" foods is that while they are lower in fat, they are also lower calorie/have more filler, so you end up having to feed quite a bit more to get the needed calories. I believe the CORE reduced fat has the same amount of calories per cup as the regular and fish formula CORE foods, just lower fat.

How about the Chicken Soup For The Pet Lovers Soul Lite? It's only 6% fat...good ingredients...reasonably priced and rated high on the nutrition lists. Our Angel LaceyLaine had Pancreatitis and she was in ICU several times...she was very sick. I hope your baby feels better soon. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Jeff, for the late night stomach noises you may want to try giving him a little bit of kibble before bedtime. I do that with Holly because her stomach seems to get very grumbly and she becomes grass obsessed if I don't. I just leave a bit out of her evening meal and give that to her closer to bedtime and no more night grumblies...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest PrestosJeff

Patricia--thanks, I'll check out Chicken Soup.

Grey14me--great idea! I think that's what happens to Chico, also. I notice he's after the vegetation in the yard when he's having these troubles. Thank you!

Hey Jeff - Cody had pancreatitis twice and gastric problems her whole life... Don't give him any Greenies!! I gave Cody one ONCE & she got really really sick!!! My vet said they're very high in fat - had I known that, I'd never have given it to her...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest houndlover

Billy was just recently diagnosed with pancreatitis and the vet recommended prescription canned food. I had been giving him Hill's r/d and it really helped a lot. I have been happy with it but it is a little on the pricey side. I talked to the vet about taking him off of canned food altogether and she suggested just adding rice to his diet.

I agree with grey14me about feeding more often too. My dogs all get a "snack" before they go to bed and I find that if for some reason they don't eat something right before bed then they have upset stomachs in the morning, probaly from too much acid in their tummys.

I hope that Chico feels better soon.

Guest PrestosJeff

Thanks everybody! Chico is doing much better, with a return to normal poopys! I gave before bed snacks last night. Chico got a bit of yogurt, rice, and chicken. No crazy stomach noises during the night! His energy level seems better, too.

If anyone else has had any good or bad experiences with any premium low-fat dog foods, please let us know. Thanks again!