Valerian Root

Guest skinnydog

I've actually been told not to use it with Greys, because of potential stomach upset. I have used it, with no tummy problems, but no longer do.

Instead, we do melatonin (2 - 3 300 mg tablets) or chamomile (two capsules, but I don't recall the strength).

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

On days where Butterfly seems particularly stressed, I will give her one. The bottle says it is 1,605 mg and for humans it says a serving is 3 capsules 3 times a day or 3 before bed. Butterfly weighs 57.5 pounds. The group we got her from was giving them to her when we boarded her there last December to keep her from being so stressed. She doesn't particularly like the way they smell, so I have to really bury it in the PB for her to take it.

This is anecdotal, but I think I will share.

When I first got George, he was howling like a demon.

Tried many things, and my vet suggested Valerian root extract because a veterinarian friend of hers took it himself--she assumed it was perfectly safe.

Next time I had blood work done, George's ALT (a liver enzyme, I believe) was almost triple what it was the prior test. The only thing different was the Valerian root. I did a lot of Google searching, and found many, many human web sites that said anyone with a liver problem should not take Valerian root.

To my knowledge, George doesn't have a liver problem, but my vet told me to stop giving it to him, and we retested in three weeks. The values were close to normal again.

Just passing this along. She said she was not able to find any studies that show it is either safe or not safe for dogs to take, and she was sorry she had suggested it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck