Dan's Home From His Neuter

Guest greys4me

Guest greys4me

I brought Dan home from the vet after his neutor Wednesday afternoon and he seemed to be doing fine. He was acting energetic and kept trying to go for food even after I had given him everything that the vet said I could give him. Yesterday he started to act a little funny. He didn't come jumping at me when I pulled out his food and treat bin and he just looked a little off. I just figured he was still sore from his surgery. This morning though he is still not reacting like he usually does to food and is showing little interest in it. He also threw up a couple times this morning. Should I be worried or is this normal behaviour? His stitches look good. Somebody please let me know. :unsure

I don't think the vomiting is normal 2 days out, especially because he was feeling well right after the neuter. I'd call the vet and tell them. Can you check to see if he's got a fever?

Marcia in SC

Guest greys4me
I don't think the vomiting is normal 2 days out, especially because he was feeling well right after the neuter. I'd call the vet and tell them. Can you check to see if he's got a fever?

Marcia in SC

I don't know if he has a fever or not and I don't know how to check. Right now I'm at work and my fiance is watching him.

Guest redreed

Spyder didn't have any vomiting after his neuter -- I suggest calling your vet and letting them know his symptoms.

Good luck and lots of good thoughts going Dan's (and your) way!!

Marcia in SC

I don't know if he has a fever or not and I don't know how to check. Right now I'm at work and my fiance is watching him.

You have to check his temp rectally. Get one of these at WalMart to keep handy. I've had to use mine several times. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10161099

They also sell the thermometer tip covers that you just throw away. I have one here that I keep for the pups, and one for the human kids.

Just wondering if he's on any meds. I had a collie who had major sensitive stomach problems when on antibiotics and certain pain meds. He'd vomit and wouldn't eat. Hope you figure out what's going on.

Guest greys4me

Marcia in SC

You have to check his temp rectally. Get one of these at WalMart to keep handy. I've had to use mine several times. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10161099

They also sell the thermometer tip covers that you just throw away. I have one here that I keep for the pups, and one for the human kids.

Just wondering if he's on any meds. I had a collie who had major sensitive stomach problems when on antibiotics and certain pain meds. He'd vomit and wouldn't eat. Hope you figure out what's going on.

Dan isn't on any medications. I called the vet and she said he may be lethargic because he was trying to play to much when he first got home and now he is sore. She also said that if he ate some grass that might cause the vomiting. She told me to check on him in a couple of hours and see how he is doing and then call them back. Then we can see if I need to take him back in. If he is still vomiting then I will probably need to take him back in otherwise he is probably just sore and being lethargic and maybe I can give him something for the pain. I hope that is all it is.

Guest greys4me

I called my fiance and he said that Dan is still being sleepy and slow but he hasn't vomited any more. He told me he would call again between 12:30 and 1:00 while my students are at lunch and then go out to play. Hopefully there will still be no vomitting. I hope it is as simple as he's sore and he had eaten grass in the yard when I wasn't looking. :hope

Guest myjazzy

When Moses had his neuter, he had an upset tummy from the anesthesia. He ate all his food when I fed him, but proceeded to throw up and two days later we were at the evet because it was a Sunday. It was a reaction to the anesthesia, and I should have not fed him as much food as I did. But I would check with the vet, just in case, especially if he has a temperature.

Guest greys4me

OK, here's an update on Little Dan. Dan seems to be feeling better. He's trying to play with the neighbor's dogs and eating a bit. The vet says what is probably happening is that he is playing to much to soon after his surgery and it is causing him to be very sore and could be upseting his tummy. I was told to try and not let him play as much (HAHA he's 17 weeks old tomorrow) and watch him over the weekend. If after not playing as much he is still getting very lethargic and getting a little vomitting I should bring him in and they will see what's going on. So I guess now I have to figure out how to slow him down. If that's what's causing the problem then he should be doing fine in no time and I can stop worrying.

I think I'd take him to the vet. Neutering shouldn't be a big deal, but I've seen the greys blow up in the rear end & run fevers for a week after surgeries in the adoption kennel which ours is more sterile than some people's homes...its nothing to play with. He may have an infection somewhere & I think a vet should see him.

Is crating a possibility, just temporarily to keep him calm?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest greys4me

Dan has had no further problems. Seeing as the dogs that he likes to play with are my neighbors I just kept him inside a little more than I would like to. The only problem with that was that he would want to jump at the door when he heard them outside. It looks like his stitches are healing wonderfully and next week he can have them taken out. :colgate