Riley's Sick

Arrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - that is soooooooooo frustratinggggggg (for us, never mind you as Rileys poor Mummy).

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just checking in to see if there was any news

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Hi guys,

I finally spoke to the vet. Riley's ultrasound did not show anything conclusive. He thinks there is still something going on with his liver though. We could do a liver biopsy, but that is major surgery and neither of us want to go that route. So for now he is going back on antibiotics in case there is an infection somewhere. After that, I have no clue. I am very happy that the ultrasound did not show anything bad, but frustrated that we still don't know what's wrong. Riley has been doing pretty well these past couple of days, so hopefully that will continue. He has about 10 lbs to gain, and he is still more lethargic than usual.

Thanks so much for all of you good wishes and posts. I will post again if there are any new developments.

Good that nothing interesting turned up, but frustrating not to have A Thing to treat. Sending lots of good thoughts your way.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SoulsMom

Thanks for the update. I'm glad nothing awful showed on the ultrasound, but so frustrating to not know what to treat him for. Oh, if only they could talk! Hang in there . . . .healing, weight gaining thoughts to Riley!

Lucy, if worst comes to worst, might ask your vet about taking some ultrasound-guided fine needle aspirate samples of the liver instead of a surgical biopsy. He would still need to be put under but you wouldn't have the surgical recovery to deal with.

Have you considered putting him on a novel protein elimination diet, just in case?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I haven't read every post but has he been started on SamE and Milk thistle? those will support and detoxify the liver. they worked Wonders for my IG when her enzymes spiked and we were afraid she had a shunt (she doesn't). her labs have been normal now for over a year.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana