Senior Jammies

Hello all. This may belong under pet merchandise, so forgive me if I posted in the wrong place. I would like to purchase comfy jammies for my 10 yr old male hound (has LS and is wobbly in back). I see there are two-legged and four-legged jammies. I don't want him to sweat to death, and would like to avoid anything with straps or belts - but I want to keep his stiff old rear-end warm. Any greyt suggestions for seniors? (Currently, he gets covered with a fleece throw at night, but I think it's time for jammies.) Thanks! :)

I would use one made without legs. It's hard to put on even front legs when the back end is unstable. I use some that are made like a regulat coat. I can make him some if you like! Just PM me. I can make it as long in the back as he needs.

BirthdayZ040.jpg

Guest vahoundlover

My guys wear these...the lady that sews for Greyhound Friends North Carolina makes them...you can probably get in touch with her thru their website.

Playtime043.jpg

Also Milkysgreytgoodies makes this kind.

I made some coats for my Jim (when he was old and wobbly) with front legs and velcro fastening along the back. I'm not sure how suitable they are as jammies ... I've just been putting Renie into Equafleece jumpers, which are very warm, but don't cover the hind end. They do other stuff with more coverage though - and they do tee shirts which fit greyhounds beautifully.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Cara Lea makes really nice jammies. The best style would be her cuddly kimonos. No legs to deal with. You can always play with the length measurment. I always add an inch or two for tushy coverage. For the fabric, I would stay way from fleece since your hound might get too warm. Fannel is a good choice or regular T-shirt fabric.

http://www.crittercozies.com/cuddlykimono.html

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest Ladyluther

My old man Luther recently turned 15, and he loves his jammies from www.duds4buds.com. For winter, he wears a nice soft fleece with a turtle neck. In the summer time his cotton T shirt jams are perfect for taking the chill off from the A/C...They are the best made I've ever seen and have stood the test of time and my washing machine. They have no legs.

This is a plug for their terrific jams and I highly recommend them..

Guest EMcElfresh

No Nude Hounds (nonudehounds.com) is where I got Gordon's 4 legger jammies, he's on their "happy customers" page...they are AWESOME for really cold nights/days.

Guest MAXNAV

Don't flame me. I must be a bad mom. I've never put jammies on Navigator. I do keep the house warm in winter, at about 68. Please tell me I'm not bad...............

Guest Cris_M

Since I sew, I tend to come up with weird ideas.

Since your pup has weakness in his hind legs and those legs seem to be the ones you are most concerned about keeping warm, how about having jammies made that have hind legs but no front legs. Then you wouldn't have to try to put front legs on a wiggly bum pup. The front could be sewn together so you start by putting the neck in and move down from there. Then you wouldn't have any straps to deal with.

The fabric I like best when fleece is too warm is a cotton or cotton blend knit that has lycra in it. It stretches nicely but has a "memory" that you don't get with regular cotton knit. The memory means you can go several days (okay, a lot of days) without washing them.

I haven't ever tried regular flannel, but it seems like it could be a problem since it doesn't stretch and you already have a pup with mobility problems.

Hope you find something that suits you just fine.

Don't flame me. I must be a bad mom. I've never put jammies on Navigator. I do keep the house warm in winter, at about 68. Please tell me I'm not bad...............

No, you're not bad. Definitely not bad. :lol

I still don't put jammies on Jack, who is over thirteen years old, because he simply doesn't get chilly. If I feel his ears and paws he's always toasty warm, unless he's out in a blizzard. Even then, he hates having a coat on. He has thick fur, and just isn't a chilly soul.

Renie isn't ten yet, but she does get cold. Since I've been putting jammies on her regularly, she very rarely gets us up in the night, which she was starting to do almost every night. Also, if I feel her paws, they're often icy cold on a cold day, so are her ears.

It's a matter of being aware of your own dog, and whether they need jammies/coats or not. If they don't need them, it's not a good idea to use them - firstly they could get overheated. Secondly, they won't get the benefit of a coat when they go out in the cold.

This winter I expect Renie to be wearing a t-shirt in the house and to have a coat over it for her walks. ;)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest VelvetEars

Not to hijack, but who makes Tshirt weight 4-legged jimjams? I think Jumpy would like some - fleece would be too warm, I think. -----please PM me as I'm going to be out of town for a week and may forget to check back! :)

Most of my girls have coat-style no-leg jammies from Liz (turbodogs) at The House of Earl. In fact, they're the models on the site. :)

Tally has a Critter Cozy cuddly kimono--as mentioned by Greylover97--in flannel. It's very easy to put on and covers her rear quite well.

I prefer flannel because it generates less static.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)