Need Help With Stitches

Guest FireHorse

Guest FireHorse

I was out of town over the weekend, and on my way back home, the vet from the kennel called to tell me that Jet had done something to his foot--nobody can figure out how--that resulted in two stitches on his toe. (Right front foot, second toe from the inside, on the margin between toe and pad.)

Dr B got it stitched up with just a local. He had a bandage on it this morning, but pulled it off before I got there. I've added insult to injury and have a baby sock on it now, but it's not staying. Dr B said I could leave it unwrapped if he'd leave it alone, but he's not, hence the sock. (Silly beast. He was walking on it before--gimpily, but putting weight on it. Then I put the sock on, and now he won't put it down at all. :rolleyes: )

Can someone provide me with better instructions for putting a sock on and keeping it on? The tech's advice was lots and lots of loose bandaging-if he's going to pull it off, give him something to do that won't hurt the stitches. I will if I have to, but there has to be a better way. Also, Jet *likes* the taste of bittering agents, so any alternatives for that will probably come in handy. Any other suggestions would be welcome as well-I suspect it's going to be an interesting couple of days.

UPDATE post #9.

Edited by FireHorse

I don't know if this will help because if he's determined to get it off, he will get it off. If I have to keep a sock on, I have a thin velcro strip someone sent me and it seems to work well. I know Home Depot sells them. Hope you find a solution

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I've used a long athletic sock. I put it all the way up so the toes are at the end. Just above the joint, I put athletic tape around the sock. Just tight enough it won't slip down but not too tight to prevent circulation. I then fold the top of the sock back down over the tape. It works very well for me.

Guest FireHorse
I've used a long athletic sock. I put it all the way up so the toes are at the end. Just above the joint, I put athletic tape around the sock. Just tight enough it won't slip down but not too tight to prevent circulation. I then fold the top of the sock back down over the tape. It works very well for me.

Maybe that's my problem. These are toddler knee socks, so they're long enough, but I've been taping them between the foot and the joint. Taping it above the joint definitely makes better sense. :blush

Thanks!

Guest FireHorse
You can try Arid xtra dry on the bandage and see if that keeps him from worrying it :)

Really? I've never heard of doing that! But if it works, I'll buy stock in the stuff. :lol

Guest sunshine123

Hi

After Gangster had surgery on his foot, I used baby socks. I had a heck of a time. But I finally started using athletic tape at the top of the sock. Half on the sock, half on his leg. It didn't really ever pull off.... I just cut the tape off and nothing really stuck to bad to the fur. I also used Vet wrap at the top of the sock, but the tape worked much better.

Good Luck!!

You can try Arid xtra dry on the bandage and see if that keeps him from worrying it :)

Diane, please explain :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FireHorse

Jet got his stitches out today, and Dr C said it's healing up nicely. Honesty, I was sort of surprised there were still stitches in there to be taken out-I was sure he'd got at least one out with all the licking that first night, if not both. The first night, he managed to lick himself bloody through the sock!

I ended up putting a poop cup in the extra muzzle, and Jet wore it pretty much for the first week. I did switch between it and the sock, but if he was out of my sight, he was in the muzzle. Apparently it worked-color me surprised!

And, bonus, they didn't charge me. I know a lot of vets don't charge for suture removal, but I was expecting to pay, since it was a completely different practice that put them in. (I like Dr B as a vet, but can't stand her no-appointments, walk-ins only policy. But I use their kennel.)