4gryhnds Intro

Guest 4gryhnds

Guest 4gryhnds

Hi, I am new to GreyTalk but not new to Greyhounds. I have had 8 Greys through the years. I now proudly live with 4....Rocky 12, Panda 10, Carson 9, and Danger 7. My husbands name is Gary and he had as much to do with all the adoptions as I did.

Cash (Bad Cashier) was our first Greyhound. Unlike most Greys that come off the track with broken bones, Cash had the misfortune of severely breaking his leg jumping off our bed. As a result of his break, and because I had many years of industrial sewing in my background, I created a protector for his cast. I received such good comments about it, I decided to market it. My business name is CLEAN/BREAK LLC. You can check out my story and the protector I swear by at: www.cleanbreakprotector.com . Because of all the Greys that we have had, I have had to use my protector on many occasions. It makes life a bit easier when you are wrestling with a leg injury.

Gary and I seem to have adopted our share of misfits over the years. Axel was a victim of a murder/suicide. He was 8 years old and no one in his dead owners family would take him. He was terrorised during thunderstorms. Then there was Norman. He also was 8. His owner told the adoption group that they had to move and couldn't take him. Within the first month that he lived with us, he was diagnosed with bone cancer (surprise, surprise.....his previous owner did not move!). Norman could scale a fence better than any Grey that I have known! We kept him comfortable and happy for another year.

Carson is troublesome because he will pee in the house. In the beginning we tried kenneling him, but he will pee in his kennel. I believe he has a neurological problem. He makes me mad, and honestly I had thought of finding him a new home, but with his habits, I am afraid that he will either be abused, or put down. We have a doggie door, so we confine our crew to the rec-room and outdoors when we are at work. This at least limits his peeing to a smaller area. Then there is Danger. He was returned to the adoption group because his new owner was afraid of him. He showed some "fear biting" traits. He is wonderful and full of play and personality. Honestly though, I do not trust him with strangers or children. I feel badly that my own daughter and grandson are afraid of him. Needless to say, he is confined when we have visitors. He makes a better watchdog than all of the other greyhounds combined! Panda wasn't a misfit, we saw her in a race and told her trainer that we wanted to adopt her when she became available (we picked her up 2 weeks later....I guess she didn't make the grade!). She is beautiful inside and out. From a distance, she appears white with 2 black eyes....very striking! Little did we know what a prize she really was! Personality Plus! Rocky, well, he is just a sweet old boy who loves to eat, ride in the car, and get lots of loving!

Well, that is our family in a nutshell! A love for all dogs (and animals), a passion for Greyhounds!

Best to all,

Sue

Hi Sue!

Welcome!!!!!! It sounds like you and your husband are Angels to take these babies! Bless you both and I am another 4 greyhound person. :colgate Do you have pictures of the pups? :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest shadesofgrey

Welcome from Massachusetts :) My grey had a broken bone before I got her, so I am always watchful of her leg. Maybe I'll need your assistance in the future?

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Hi and Welcome from Arizona! That's quite a story you have! I have a foster that is exactly like your Carson. I can't figure out what his problem is but it drives me nuts him peeing everywhere. He uses the dog door but still pees inside. Luckily I can crate him and he won't pee in the crate. Anyway, hope to see pics of your hounds soon!

Guest 4gryhnds

It sure has been nice hearing from everyone! I am not to great on the computer, so it will take a bit for me to figure out how to do the picture thing. But....I am convincing myself that I can do it! My kids aren't to photogenic either.

Guest Elcyion

I was thinking about Carson... Is he castrated? My thought was if he has some problems with urinary incontinence? Here in Sweden we have medications for that. If we have, you should have to.

Wheter I´m right och wrong, I welcome you from the raining Sweden.

Guest 4gryhnds
I was thinking about Carson... Is he castrated? My thought was if he has some problems with urinary incontinence? Here in Sweden we have medications for that. If we have, you should have to.

Yes he is. I am guessing because he is very submissive, he likes to mark. He will give up his spot on the couch or the bed for Rocky, Panda, or Danger. I think marking makes him feel more macho. Out in the yard, he will mark, Rocky will follow, then Danger, than Panda (not necessarily in that order). He will than get the last bark by marking over all! I will have to talk to the vet about the incontinence, wouldn't that be something if a little pill could solve all my problems. I don't hold my breath though.

Thanks for the welcome!

Guest Elcyion

Yes he is. I am guessing because he is very submissive, he likes to mark. He will give up his spot on the couch or the bed for Rocky, Panda, or Danger. I think marking makes him feel more macho. Out in the yard, he will mark, Rocky will follow, then Danger, than Panda (not necessarily in that order). He will than get the last bark by marking over all! I will have to talk to the vet about the incontinence, wouldn't that be something if a little pill could solve all my problems. I don't hold my breath though.

Thanks for the welcome!

If it is insecurity, you can try D.A.P It´s a fermon that spreds from a little "thing" that you put in the electric socket. They hace created the dogs own calming fermon (spelling?) on a kemechal way. The smell calms the dog down. Humans do not smell a thing :D

D.A.P is really helping Molly on newyearseve. She is afraid of strang thunder and fireworks. Outside she is really stressed, and I can´t reach her. Inside (with D.A.P) you can SEE her relax just stepping inside the door.

Guest EustisMom

Welcome from Burlington, MA! We are new to the site also. We've adopted two retired racers before. Now that we have kids, we were looking for a puppy, and we just happened to find a greyhound puppy "Eustis" on Petfinder, so it's the best of both worlds (at least that's what I keep telling myself ha ha). He's finally sleeping through the nights, so that's been much better! Have a great weekend - we finally have the sun to enjoy B) (I think it's been 9 rainy days in a row - ugh).

Guest 4gryhnds

Thanks for the welcome!

If it is insecurity, you can try D.A.P It´s a fermon that spreds from a little "thing" that you put in the electric socket. They hace created the dogs own calming fermon (spelling?) on a kemechal way. The smell calms the dog down. Humans do not smell a thing :D

D.A.P is really helping Molly on newyearseve. She is afraid of strang thunder and fireworks. Outside she is really stressed, and I can´t reach her. Inside (with D.A.P) you can SEE her relax just stepping inside the door.

It sounds interesting, I will have to look into it. I do not know if it is something you can get in the U.S. Actually I think it work well for Danger during high stress periods. Thanks for the info.

Guest Elcyion

Thanks for the welcome!

It sounds interesting, I will have to look into it. I do not know if it is something you can get in the U.S. Actually I think it work well for Danger during high stress periods. Thanks for the info.

I searched on av.com and found this: Search for D.A.P at av.com Feliway is exactly the same thing for cats. I don´t know where you live, so it´s hard for me to know if you can get it.

Guest 4gryhnds
Welcome from Burlington, MA! We are new to the site also. We've adopted two retired racers before. Now that we have kids, we were looking for a puppy, and we just happened to find a greyhound puppy "Eustis" on Petfinder, so it's the best of both worlds (at least that's what I keep telling myself ha ha). He's finally sleeping through the nights, so that's been much better! Have a great weekend - we finally have the sun to enjoy B) (I think it's been 9 rainy days in a row - ugh).

Good luck with Eustis! Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a new grey around, but then I remember that we are trying to downsize. 4 is sometimes overwhelming!

You have a nice weekend also.....I am sure glad it is Friday! Tomorrow is the Greyhound Gala and I am a vendor. I have a booth for my cast and bandage protectors. We are supposed to have a great weather weekend here in Wisconsin, so that should make things even better!