Gunk In Ears

rschultz

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Not sure on dogs, but our cat has that and the vet said it was ear mites. Easiest thing was a cotton ball and some Vaseline. The Vaseline kills the ear mites by suffocation, and the cotton ball removed it safely. We took a small amount after cleaning and rubbed it in the ear. Steve didn't seem to mind getting the extra ear rubs either. The black went away after two weeks.

I wouldn't leave it in there. I have to clean one of Merlin's ears every week because it gets gunk in it. I wet a Q-tip and VERY gently reach inside the ears to get the gunk out. He doesn't like it very much, but he lets me do it. The main thing is to be gentle, because of course their ears are extremely delicate and you can cause some damage. Also, I don't venture all the way to the bottom if I can help it. Only as far as I can see well enough to pull stuff out.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest LokisMom

We usually use a cotton ball either dry or with the ear cleaner you can get from the vet or pet store. I used to work at a vet clinic and you can use a Q tip but you want to be careful and not shove it into the ear, only use it to clean the parts of the ear you can easily see. I'm not sure I am describing it well.

If the ear has gunk in it and is also reddish or inflamed I'd take him to the vet as it could be an infection.

First, it's likely not ear mites. Dogs aren't prone to them like cats are.

It's either normal ear wax or a yeast infection (yeast infections are characterized by dark brown/black goo and sometimes a particular smell). You can get an OTC ear cleaner that you pour in, massage around, then allow the dog to shake out. You can then take a cotton ball or q-tip and remove the visible debris in the vertical canal. If you suspect a yeast infection, however, you should take the pup to the vet for a quick swab test/cytology and get meds for it. Yeast infections can be hard to clear and are often the result of a food allergy.

Good luck :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I was going to say also that I used to use the Veterinarian's Best Ear Relief Pet Swabs to clean Merlin's ears. I've run out, so I'm using Q-tips now, but the pet swabs are probably better as they clean the ear as well as getting the gunk out.

if you do order them, make sure to google them because you can get them much cheaper elsewhere...

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

It's just wax.

Get some Ear Cleaner from your vet or the Petstore. We use Oxyfresh Ear Cleaner.

Take your pupper outside.

Squirt some in the ear and rub for 10 seconds so you can hear a squishing noise (if you don't hear it, you don't have enough in there). Then let them shake their heads (they will go nuts for a few seconds). Then wipe the external ear with a cotton ball.

Voila.

Repeat every 3 or so weeks.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I use a piece of gauze wrapped around my finger.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Piper has lots of ear wax and I have good luck cleaning his ears with baby wipes. I do have a veterinary ear cleaner that i use when I bathe the dogs but the baby wipes are great in between.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

My vet had me use alcohol in our Ridgeback's ears to clean the pinna and flush the ear canal. Is alcohol not a good idea for greyhound ears?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

My vet had me use alcohol in our Ridgeback's ears to clean the pinna and flush the ear canal. Is alcohol not a good idea for greyhound ears?

It's not necessarily bad - many ear cleaners contain alcohol, which is, after all, a drying agent of sorts. However, if there is infection or lesions in the canal, it can be painful.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest ArtysPeople

As others have mentioned, if there's a lot of it and it smells bad, it's possible that it's a yeast infection that might need to be treated with a prescription. Arty had one when we first brought him home. Here's an earlier post where I outlined the cleaning method our vet taught me: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=2955465

Edited by ArtysPeople

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

Normal ear wax, kleenix or tissue around your little finger to get the most out, followed up by a dry q-tip get the most of it - in the small areas and folds (I do not go into ear canal just the outer area as the dog may jump if it tickles). recheck weekly. If it doesn't clear up quickly -check with the vet.