Clips In Hips--any Ideas As To Why?

Guest thalion707

Guest thalion707

Hi,

I am participating in an arthritis study with my greyhound at the University of Pennsylvania's school of veterinary medicine. As part of the study Thalion had radiographs of his rear hips. Two "small clips" showed up in the radiographs. I'd never had his hips x-rayed before so I had NO IDEA there were clips inserted into his hips. I assume (didn't see the vet again after she looked at the x-rays) there was no sign of broken bones. I'd also assume if Thalion had ever suffered broken hip bones during his racing career he would have been euthanized. So, it is very puzzling as to why anyone would have surgically implanted small metal clips into his hips.

Has anyone else ever heard of something like this? I am so curious as to why he has these clips.

Thanks.

Teresa Glover

Guest WhenIGiveIn

My first thought is contact your adoption group. If they dont know they should be able to get the info from his previous owner depending on where they came from.

If you post your dog's racing name, folks on the list may be able to help you identify the owners, trainers, etc. You can also go to greyhound-data.com and look up your pup's lineage and possibly find the owner there.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Do they usually leave ligating clips in after a neuter?

Yes. They are in place to tie back the tubes and blood vessels that went to the testicles. Gotta leave 'em in, unless he was to have more surgery, and that's pointless.

The ligating clips are very similar to heavy-duty staples.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest thalion707

Thanks for the ideas. I especially like the alien tracking device suggestion. I surely didn't think of THAT!

It sounds like they must be left over from his neutering surgery, but it is puzzling that the vet at the U of PA didn't recognize them as such...

One of those mysteries that I'll wonder about forever...

Teresa