Strange And Unknown

Guest GreytsMom

Guest GreytsMom

I have done a small search and could not find anything similar to what I will try to describe. This is the second episode in 4 years...can't be serious right? It is difficult syndrome to explain. First time it occurred after a scolding...fear response???? His legs splayed and it seemed he would not be able to continuing standing but he did. This seemed to feed his fear and he froze and was trembling a bit. We carried him to his bed and I stayed with him all night. No other visible symptoms. He was fine in the morning. Nothing for 4 years, than last night I was awakened by a noise and saw PJay's bed empty. I got up thinking he went downstairs (something he never does during the night) and needed to go out. Well, don't think he went down because when I did go down to see if maybe he had been down and had an accident, he followed me. Now, upstairs I did not notice his gait (dark). I was down first and heard him coming with loud thumps and bangs (his body against wall?). He did not fall down, although I thought that was what was happening due to the ruckus. He was upright and his legs did not seem to be in sync with his body and were somewhat splayed while he was walking and standing. After a few seconds of standing, I got him to move and guided him over to his bed in family room where he laid down and I stayed with him. No other symptoms other than a fear/bewildered look in his eyes (and I may be projecting that, but the look in his eyes was different). This morning, he did not move until I got his breakfast ready. He got up and just for a second, his gait was flim flammy, than he bounced and pranced about as he normally does for his meals. I had an older dog years ago who had a vestibular disturbance and I remember she vomited and did fall down the stairs I don't think this sounds altogether like this unless it is a mild case. I sure would like to hear from anyone out there who might have some ideas about this. He is back to normal now. Thanks...

I have no experience myself, thank God, but sounds like what others here have described and been diagnosed with seizures. I'd call the vet just to have him checked out.

The two events might not even be related, but I have no idea what it might be.

When Poodle had a bad ear infection his legs were splaying, he was falling down and walking like a drunken sailor. I was afraid it was vestibular syndrome but my vet said there are very clear head and eye cues with that.

Axel, my first yorkie that went to the bridge due to a ruptued disc in his spine would be unable to walk one minute and bouncing around like a puppy the next.

Best of luck to you and your guy.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Spinner collapsed from fear, legs splayed, the first couple of times I scolded him loudly (for counter surfing). I can imagine if a dog pulled a muscle doing the splayed leg thing, it might linger for awhile? Just another idea. I have to add that Spinner no longer pays much attention at all if I scold.

Guest GreytsMom
Spinner collapsed from fear, legs splayed, the first couple of times I scolded him loudly (for counter surfing). I can imagine if a dog pulled a muscle doing the splayed leg thing, it might linger for awhile? Just another idea. I have to add that Spinner no longer pays much attention at all if I scold.

Guest GreytsMom

I thought the first one might have been from fear, but as I have been trying to recall detail. I think he was a bit "spacey" looking then, as he was this time. The spacey look seemed to last a bit longer last time. We did contact e-vet last time and their recommendations were to watch him and if he was no better in the am to contact our vet. He was better. Vet said nothing to do at this point and if it happened again to bring him in. Well it has...4 years later. I am a bit baffled by his getting up and moving than turning around to go back to his bed. If this was a sz, I would think he would be too disoriented to follow any instinct he might have..than following me downstairs when his balance was askew.

Seizures vary greatly in length and severity. And they can occur close together or several years apart - especially if they are mild ones. If he suffers no ill effects, and they don't happen except every 4 years or so, I might not worry about it terribly. Seizures are always more traumatic for us then they are for them!

If you are really concerned I might ask for a referral to a neurologist. But unless they can examine him during a seizure there might not be anything for them to say other than he's having sporadic idiopathic (of unknown origin) seizures.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My bichon had a vestibular episode last summer. Her head was tilted to one side, her eyes were "spinning" and she walked only counterclockwise circles. She has since totally recovered but I was sure she was having a stroke.

I wonder if your dog had a seizure and was so scared from the event that he exhibited some symptoms long after? I hope you can find out what is happening. It's so scary!