He Won't Bend His Back Leg?

Guest BrindleDad

Guest BrindleDad

My boy is 3 years old. I've had him since November of last year. He's been perfectly healthy the whole time and has never had any issues. He did race but not much (20 races).

A couple of weeks ago he got up to eat some food and he was walking side ways (like his whole rear end was asleep still). My GF and I started to call him over and I think he got spooked and ran through the dog door. His rear end was still going side ways (It was really weird) and he had trouble getting through the dog door.

Once I went outside he seemed fine. He never made a noise or anything. After that we didn't see it happen again and I figured he was spooked or his hind quarters was asleep (like what happens to humans if we lay on our arms).

Yesterday I heard this noise when he was walking around and I noticed he was dragging his right rear paw a little. He wasn't limping, but he wasn't picking up his paw all the way so it dragged. He didn't whine at all and when I touched his hip, leg, paw, etc it didn't seem to bother him. I made his leg bend and moved it every which way (gently) and it all worked fine (and it didn't seem to bother him).

I just took him to the park and he ran around fine however he still drags his paw a little. It's almost like he can't bend his Knee (not sure if it's called a knee on a dog). His hip seems fine. He ran fine, jumped in the car fine, etc.

Any ideas? Nerves? Cramps? I'm just nervous it's something really bad.

Thanks in advance for the help. You guys are always great!

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

I think a trip to the Vet is in order...greys shouldn't make noise when they walk! Just remember, these guys are very stoic, they don't always show their pain, especially when they're doing something they love, like going for a walk or a car ride.

Good luck! :goodluck

He may have a pinched nerve in his back or something like that. I'd take him to the vet and have him checked out.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest BrindleDad

So I saw him licking his foot earlier and I checked it out more. In between his toes (Out side toe and inside toe) it was really red and swollen. When I touched the outside toe he winced so it's obviously tender. I'm thinking he broke his toe running around outside or something like that.

I've seen dogs with pinched nerves and he's not quite acting like that.

I'll probably go to the vet but just wanted to get some feedback first.

Thanks!

GOOD! Toe problem can be fixed!!! Please update us as you can.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

So I saw him licking his foot earlier and I checked it out more. In between his toes (Out side toe and inside toe) it was really red and swollen. When I touched the outside toe he winced so it's obviously tender. I'm thinking he broke his toe running around outside or something like that.

I've seen dogs with pinched nerves and he's not quite acting like that.

I'll probably go to the vet but just wanted to get some feedback first.

Thanks!

you *think* he broke his toe and you will *probably* go to the vet?????? Seriously?

Guest longdogs

The toe injury could be caused by dragging his foot as a result of his condition. Your original description still seems more like a spinal problem. Either way, he needs to be checked.

I have to agree that it does sound like some kind of spinal injury...he may have injured his toe at the same time, but I would definitely have him looked at. my girl chipped a piece of bone off of her outside toe on a yard sprinkler and just had a slight limp...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest BrindleDad

Update:

Took him to the vet today. He seemed fine all week but I noticed the toe getting more swollen. On a side note at the park last week he was playing with another dog and the other dog snapped and cut him about the size of a quarter on his rib cage (no hair and a hole in the skin). I had patched him up good but he kept messing with it so I wanted the doctor to check it out.

His outer toe is fractured. Not sure how that happened but it is. So they put him in a splint and he is supposed to wear it for 6 weeks. If it doesn't heal they will amputate. I'm hoping it heals and I think it will. He's only 3 years old and he lays around all day. Just no trips to the park anytime soon.

The cut on his rib cage was fine. The doctor said it looked good but we need to keep him from licking it. So, apply neosporin, wash with anti-bacterial soap and he's wearing a t shirt for now to keep him from messing with it. I'll post pics later...he looks cute and funny at the same time.

And to the person that responded with "Seriously". Things typed online can be mis-interpeted easily. I know the way that I typed my response sounded like I was being casual about my dogs health but no one knows what I'm going through either. I had a falling out with my previous vet and since then I hadn't found a new one. So I wasn't ready to rush my dog to a vet that I didn't know. I'm also getting married in a week (and I have a baby on the way) so money has been flying out of my pocket every time I turn around lately. I had just gotten back from the park last week when I posted this and he ran around fine so I was pretty sure he wasn't in immediate danger. I would never sacrifice my dogs health if they were seriously injured because I didn't have the money. So please...don't pass judgement on someone when you don't know the whole story. And please don't pass judgement on this response, I'm not trying to lash out on you about your reply...it was justifyable...I just wanted to clarify my statement and position.

So, in 6 weeks we'll know if it's healed or not. I will keep everyone posted. Please keep Pecos in your prayers and thoughts. And thanks again for all the feedback/comments.