Paige Isn't Doing Well..

Guest jennyheater

Guest jennyheater

Hey folks... Just reaching out for ideas from you all. First off, I'm taking her urine sample to the vet tomorrow afternoon.

She's been a house pee-er for a while now, but has shown no signs of a uti or anything. No frequent urinating ... seemed more behavioral and then just peeing on top of pee spots. We got her some bitch britches from Kerry.

Yesterday I noticed a small blood clot on one of the towels we stuff in the britches.... but I don't ever follow her out to watch the hounds pee in the grass. Tonight she peed on some cement and it was quite red. When we got home tonight we noticed a towel we placed over a pee spot of hers and she had peed on it, it had red marks on it.

Has anybody gone through this with their babies? I'm absolutely terrified for her. I had called the vet about 2 weeks ago, a friend of mine suggested she probably has spay incontinence. The vet tech went round with me on the phone about bringing her in and they can't do anything till they see her. We turned all of our credit cards off due to high balances, so we are living within our means now and trying to pay them down... so, they said that I can bring in a urine sample and just pay for that. So, we are doing that tomorrow. This is a brand new thing going on, but I'm just scared for her... she is my girl.... but also at my limited means to pay for extensive tests they might want to perform. I WANT to do everything that is needed for her and will ask about a payment plan. I'm just hoping she just needs antibiotics.

I'd love any input you might have.

Thank you ahead of time.

Guest houndlover

I have never had problems with spay incontenience at my house BUT I do have problems with "accidents". Daisy started having accidents about 1.5yrs ago and I thought it was behavioral but decided to have a urinalysis done anyways. I found out that she had crystals in her urine. There was also some blood in her urine but she did not have a UTI. They put her on Metacam for a few days b/c it is very painful and she is on rx food. I know what you mean about finances but most places will do care credit or a payment plan.

Good luck and I hope that Paige is feeling better soon!

Guest jennyheater

Thanks for the good luck. My stomach is in knots about it. I was laying on the floor rubbing her ears. I just feel miserable for her. Poor baby.

I hope its a simple treatment/fix for her.

I hope everything goes well for Paige, my thoughts are with her and you. Please keep us up-to-date after the vet visit.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

She's been a house pee-er for a while now, but has shown no signs of a uti or anything.

In a previously housetrained dog, that *is* a sign of UTI. Hope very much that that's all it is!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jennyheater

Thanks everyone... I'll update later on today...

With her peeing in the house, we've been a foster home for a while and have had some spots in the carpet that everyone has violated repeatedly and she's been abusing those spots too. When we take away these options <by closing the bedroom door and removing the living room rug> it isn't to much of a problem. We potty pant her, and she does pee in it, but it just appeared to be more like she couldn't hold it till I got home for lunch.

Anyway, we'll see. I'm anxious to get the unrinalysis done today. I'll be home at 1:30 to get a sample. They told me that I needed to get as clean a catch as possible and then run it up immediately.

Guest WhenIGiveIn

good thoughts for Paige!! I sure hope its just a UTI what vet do you use? If your vet wont work with you on payments let me know and if you dont mind driving to Novi I have a vet that will let you leave a few postdated checks so you can space them out through paydays.

Guest jennyheater

Hey Michelle...

We go to Cherry Hill out here in Westland. I already asked them if they'd accept a payment plan from me. They told me to ask the doc, but didn't see it being a huge problem. They know me well enough now between my 3 and bringing in fosters.

I've been in knots about this.. I'm probably going to go to lunch early to get it to the vet earlier...

Guest jennyheater

Well, just got back from the vet... Her urinalysis came back nasty. The doc said she had "everything under the sun" in it. Blood cells, white cells, crystals and bacteria. She says all consistent with a nasty UTI. They put her on 2-500mg Cephalexin capsules 2x a day.

Poor baby... I hope this takes care of it. They want me to see if she is doing better by Saturday and if not to bring her in. Truly, they just cleaned me out in cash, so please keep your fingers and paws crossed that she improves.

Thank you again for all your well wishes!

Guest jennyheater

I'm already there Michelle... I'm stopping at Walgreens on the way home to pick some up. Girlfriend is going on them regularly from here on out. Doc was suprised that her ph was so high.. she says that she sees that a lot in veggie eating pets. I mentioned that I do feed her veggies and fruit, but she said.. nono... like all veggie eating animals <rabbits, hamsters..etc>

Between the cranberry pills and the cephalexin.. I hope I'll have a bit of time to set more money aside for the follow up. They want her to come in to do the catch there since she mentioned that urine starts to get crystals in it if it sits.

I wonder... can you feed your hound higher in acid fruits? I don't take any antibiotics myself. I homeopathically treat myself with pineapple, grapefruit and stuff like that.. kind of burn the infection out. Figured, IF it was healthy for her to each such things.. perhaps it might help assist the medication. Just a thought... i'll probably call the vet and ask them..

Praying the antibiotics do the trick and that Paige is feeling much better soon. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest houndlover

I'm glad that you have some answers now and can get Paige started on antibiotics. Poor girl....she probably feels like poop right now. :( Hopefully a few days on the antibiotics and she will be feeling better.

Guest jennyheater

Hey folks... Between two antibiotic treatments already and two cranberry pills, the pee is a bit lighter in color. I haven't gotten the fruit yet since I just got paid today... but some pineapple is on the list.

I noticed something that might be a hang up though.. one thing with uti's is getting a lot of water to flush out the system too. She doesn't like the water dish in the house filled with water as much as she prefers the 5 gallon pickle bucket out in the yard. I've been trying to get her out more to make sure she's drinking enough. She seems to feel ok today and hasn't peed in the house. One day at a time from here out...

Thanks again for the well wishes!

Good news, you got to the bottom of it and she's on her way to feeling better! I have a girl who is prone to UTI's and she's never been much of a drinker. Fresh water is always on hand but I also give her Gatorade, she loves it, drinks as much as I give her and it's good for her. Just an idea...

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest jennyheater

I used to have gatorade here for Gate when his IBS was flaring up badly.. for his D. We've been handling him with beet pulp and I haven't bought any in a while. She will drink in the house, but I'm guessing mom and grandma at the farm in Kansas probably has 5 gallon bucket in the turnouts. :) When we were fostering Paige, she went outside and seemed to get all excited to see that stupid bucket we use. <Gggg> She just wiggled her butt in excitement and drank a lot.... I've contemplated bringing it in the house, but it would look so tacky.