Non-malignant Hyperthermia And Vet Floor Phobia

Guest kitedog

So way back in March I posted about my dog Kite having a hyperthermic reaction to anesthesia when she went for a tooth cleaning. We've since figured out it isn't malignant hyperthermia but plain old non-malignant hyperthermia caused by anxiety. She has a UTI currently and when I took her in to check, her temperature was up to 105 in a very short amount of time. She's has never been as absolutely terrified of a vet as she is by this one. I could not for the life of me figure out what they were doing differently from her old vet back in Oregon. But I was getting tired of the scary moments involved with taking care of the much sicker dog that is passed back to me every time we go to the vet, so I was determined to find out.

Today we had to go back for a recheck b/c the antibiotics for her UTI didn't work. I came prepared with an ice bag and wet towel to keep her temp down but they immediately took her back for xrays and to draw a sterile sample from her bladder. She was gone for a very long time and finally I asked if they could please let me come back to keep her company hoping that would alleviate her anxiety. They had her up on the metal xray table lying on her side (no restraints b/c she literally turns into zombie/gumby dog when she's scared) trying to keep her temp down while waiting to see if they got a good xray.

Finally they did so they lifted her off the table and put her down on the tile floor...here's where it gets interesting. Because she is now zombie-gumby and refusing to move, she won't put her feet under her, so they just gently let go of her until she's splayed out nearly spread eagle....and then they wait (b/c a normal dog would snap out of it and skitter to stand up on all fours??). Of course, Kite, being a greyhound just stays there splayed out obviously (to me) petrified and surely in pain base on the way her legs are contorted.

AND SUDDENLY FOR ME?? An A-HA moment!!! this is what is causing her enormous anxiety for the vet's office and in turn hyperthermia EVERY TIME WE GO. No matter for what, even if its just yearly shots, I get a very sick dog to take care of for the rest of the day and evening. Kite has always been nervous about slippery floors, like lots of greys, and if she falls in a spot and can't get up she has a very hard time walking in that spot again.

Coming to Kite's rescue I inform the vet techs that "no, she will not be able to get up from that position" and since they can't seem to figure out how to get her to stand up they carry her outside where she miraculously stands up fine on the parking lot ground. I asked the vet tech if this had happened before with Kite and they said yes. Hmmmm. Ok. Had they thought of trying to put Kite down from the table onto a non-slippery surface instead of the tile floor?? No. This is not rocket science people. Sigh. They also told me she was extra anxious b/c they had to hold her upside down to take the sample from her bladder. Upside-down is a very scary position to be in on a terrifying floor!!! Poor Kite!! No wonder she is so scared!

Now the question is, do I continue to work with these vets, who don't have much greyhound experience, now that I've figured out all the ways a greyhound can be traumatized by a vet that is not grey-savy or do I try to work with them and help them become grey-savy?? Is Kite totally ruined for this vet's office, all vet's offfices??? What do I do, it can't keep going on this way. I'm not sure what to do since it is quite obvious they LOVE her (though I'm not sure why since she is so much trouble for them).... but I love Kite more and I can't keep doing this to her! Need advice...switch vets and start over? or try to dog-whisperer her in some way now that I know where her fears lie??

Thank you in advance!!

OMG! First, I'd find another vet. She's had such awful experiences at this one she's probably going to always have problems with them. Once I found another vet I would explain all of this to them so they know not to treat her in the same manner and if I had to I'd take a rug or something with me, that has a non slip backing for them to stand her on while being examined or during procedures! My gosh how totally traumatizing to your poor pup.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Foxy had a fear almost that bad at our previous vet. she would have to be carried in and out because she couldn't/wouldn't walk on the floor there. When we switched vets, I couldn't believe how much happier she was to go. Funny thing is the last vet never did more than the basics with her. Miki has done invasive tests, surgerys etc and it was still Foxy's favourite place to visit. It came down to the floor.

Another big part of what changed is that I was allowed to be with her for most things except the surgery. The techs were very matter of fact, patient and never made her do anything that scared her.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Definitely explore your vet options. Maybe somebody from your new area - Georgia? - can recommend a good greyhound-savvy vet for you to try.

If you like the people at the vet where you were, you might try explaining why you're leaving. It might help for the next greyhound who comes to them.

I might also suggest visiting a new vet by yourself first for an "interview." Tell them Kite's story, and why you're looking for a new vet. And ask if they have a problem with you coming in the back with her, if that's how they work, at least at first. You'll be able to tell by how the new vet/staff react to your suggestions if you believe you can bring Kite in. Try to schedule that first appointment at a slow time so they have the freedom to really work with her slowly and at her pace, rather than frantically trying to get animals in and out of the clinic.

I'm glad you figured it out! Good Luck!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

They had her up on the metal xray table lying on her side (no restraints

If somebody was holding on to her, and apart from this and floor problem you like this vet, I'd talk to the head vet and head tech about how to handle her when they lift her down.

If nobody was holding on to her, RUN, don't walk, to another vet.

Zema has the same problem with fear and rising temp at the vet. We try to minimize her wait time and do everything we can in the exam room. If she needs x-rays, they'll let me come back and help position her on the table; by law I have to step out while they take the shot; not sure it helps her any to have me there.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'll just add--good sleuthing job on your part! Congratulations on finding the source of the problem for your girl.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Now the question is, do I continue to work with these vets,

NO NO NO!!! Find a vet's office with some empathy! Kite sounds like my angel Liath who would start hyperventilating before we even got in to the building. She also suffered from NMH & even got an attack of rhabdomyolosis. She needed extra TLC & so does Kite. It takes maintenance of the timing of appointments & procedures but it's doable & necessary.

Now that I've calmed down, are they doing a urine culture? Why xrays? And instead of turning a scared dog upside down to get the sample, they could have gotten down on the floor themselves.

Best wishes to Kite. :kiss2 My girl was so sweet, it killed me to see her so scared.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I've got to agree with Judy, here. Even if the techs learned their lesson, she is likely so traumatized from this type of thing happening repeatedly in the same place, it would take a long time and lots of training for her to get over it. If you're not particularly attached to the practice, I'd find a new vet. Good luck!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Definitely explore your vet options. Maybe somebody from your new area - Georgia? - can recommend a good greyhound-savvy vet for you to try.

Welcome to GA! What part of Suburban ATL are you in? (PM me if you dont' want to advertize). We have SEVERAL grey-savvy vets scattered around ATL, courtesy of 3 (count them THREE) local greyhound adoption groups.

PLEASE give me a holler and let me know where you are, and I can probably point you towards a better place (like my vet, for instance)

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Poor Baby! :angry: I would be finding another vet! I can't begin to imagine her fear and feelings of helplessness. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest savvyprchick

What everyone said. RUN. Leave this vet and tell them why you are leaving. And yes, she'll probably always have problems with this vet so it's better to get a new one. Contact Pippin (though you can't PM yet as you are still too new... maybe she'll give you her e-mail address or you can give yours to her?) for help finding one.

What everyone said. RUN. Leave this vet and tell them why you are leaving. And yes, she'll probably always have problems with this vet so it's better to get a new one. Contact Pippin (though you can't PM yet as you are still too new... maybe she'll give you her e-mail address or you can give yours to her?) for help finding one.

Thanks for the reminder about PMs (oops)

Kitedog, please email me: fiwit AT yahoo.com (replace AT with @)

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Call SEGA (Southeastern Greyhound Association). I think they are the biggest greyhound adoption group in Atlanta. I have found them to be very open to all greyhound owners and other adoption groups. (I didn't get either of my greys from them and they are always nice to me.) I expect they know vets in all parts of Atlanta that are grey savvy.

Your current vet might be trained to take care of Kite in a way that was nurturing to her. However, when a serious injury or illness comes about, you will want a vet that you don't have to train to treat a grey appropriately.

Oh WoW!! I'm am so overwhelmed by your responses...I LOVE greytalk. I must admit that I usually only come on here when I'm having an issue with Kite, so I am so GRATEFUL to all of you for reading our story and responding!! Now I feel I can really go with my instincts which is what all of you have said and leave the practice. It's hard because I know they really do love Kite, they just don't understand greyhounds and what's happening to her. I don't want to hurt their feelings but like many of you said I don't think I'm up for making Kite go through all that retraining just to make the vets happy. I was just so upset to see her on the floor and waiting for SOMEONE to act. Even though it was a short amount of time it was a millisecond to long in my book.

And I will say that never again will I be too shy on asking to go to the back and see what is going on. I didn't realize it was such a common practice to accompany them to what seems like a restricted area.

Thanks again for your sympathy and encouragement!!!

Jess

p.s. for those trying to contact me... oceansunfish AT gmail is my address. I will try to contact you also. Thanks!

I almost forgot to mention that Kite is back to her old bouncy self as of this morning. Still a little subdued b/c of the continuing UTI I'm sure...but much faster recovery this time than from the last time, I think b/c they were able to keep her temp down better this time (and I came prepared with a wet towel and ice bag too). So that is a relief. She does have a lot of bruising on the insides of her legs, and from where they took the bladder sample (I'm assuming) that look not fun. But she seems to be okay other than that and even got a little kanga-rooey for a walk this afternoon :)

thanks again, jess

Glad to hear Kite's feeling better - how old is she? And you've got email :)