Which One Is Peeing?

Guest snakes

Not sure if this is best here or in train/behavior....

However, one of my houndies has been peeing in the house while i am away at work and occasionally early in the morning after they get fed.

Here is my dilemma, since i never catch them doing it...i don't know who it is!

It doesn't help that my female is known to lift her leg and pee like a boy and the male when he pees has incredibly good aim. So really the 'splash' pattern isn't much good in helping determine the culprit. Also when i take them out when i find the pee, both pee a full amount......

Any creative ideas out there?

Guest fatesrelease

I have a dilema similar, sort of. One of our cats has been peeing on the bed! I just moved back into my parents basement and they already had two cats and then we are bringing in two more to the senario...but we aren't home when they do it...So we aren't sure who it is.

I wish I could tell you but I'm in the same boat.

Put a belly band on the male, if its wet when you get home you'll know who is doing it.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

belly bands are a good idea, only i don't have one and i'm not even sure if he would leave it on.

My other concern is that my female has a fetish for eating elastic type material...not really the preferred meal i want her to be having....

I bought a bottle of 10 SG urine test strips. I got urine samples from the suspects, made notes of who had what readings, and then tested the urine left where it wasn't supposed to be. Our pets all have different general results so I compared the notes to the dip stick readings. It's amazing how little it changes even when a sample is taken off a floor, or counter in the case of cats. Busted!

I like to have those strips around anyway. They're great when you need to check any pets (or humans for that matter) who have urinary issues caused by medical reasons that need to be monitored on a regular basis.

Belly band are probably simpler. I don't have one either, but the cats probably wouldn't wear one anyway. :P

Marcia in SC

Feeling your pain! When our boys get their feathers ruffled (as now :rolleyes: ), one or both start peeing in a couple predictable places.

First order of business is to get it cleaned up with an enzymatic cleaner and/or vinegar and/or hydrogen peroxide, etc., so they don't get inspired to re-mark because of the smell.

Second, if you're there for the after-eating period when pee happens, take them right out after food, then maybe leash them to you so you can keep a close eye on them and their signs (the umbilical method).

Third, if they're home for a long period (like, 5+ hours) with no way to get outside to pee "legally", maybe you can arrange for someone to let them out for a potty break. A neighbor, friend, professional ....

I don't know if this works or not, but it makes ME feel better. If I find pee, I don't punish anyone since I didn't see who did it. But I do make a huge fuss and noise about it and how mad I am and all, and kick everyone out to the yard if possible. (Not "kick" literally! :P ) Everyone knows that pee in the house makes me mad. At least, that's what I like to think. :P One of these phases doesn't usually last very long for us.

Good luck!!!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

You could also get a camera for your computer for about $20 at a place like Circuit City and set it up to record while you're gone. I bought one for around that price made by Microsoft. It plugs into my USB port and came with its own software (Microsoft LifeCam). Installation was simple and I'm able to record all day (video and sound) and then play it back when I get home. I'm using it to keep tabs on Zuri's SA.

But the belly band idea is cheaper and probably easier. Just use a long-sleeved t-shirt you don't want anymore. Lay it flat, then roll the torso part up in wide segments (about 6" wide). Once it's rolled up, place it over your boy's penis, then use the sleeves to tie it around his waste. Double-knot to be safe.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Can you separate them during the day? Baby gate one in one room, the other in another room, and wherever the pee is, you have your answer.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest houndlover
Can you separate them during the day? Baby gate one in one room, the other in another room, and wherever the pee is, you have your answer.

That is what I do if I am having problems. I found that 2 of my 3 were peeing and they both had medical problems.

That is what I do if I am having problems. I found that 2 of my 3 were peeing and they both had medical problems.

Which brings me back to why I use urine test strips, either directly or on the "mistake." :colgate I've caught many a UTI and even a diabetes problem once by using urine tests strips just to check on them. It also saves a lot of $$ not having the vet do a urine test when you're just checking. A test strip costs about 80 cents; a urine test costs -- well, a whole lot more.

I once set up a video camera to try to catch a peeing culprit. It was so long and boring because nothing happened for 6 hours. Does anyone know of a device that will record only if someone moves in front of the camera? Now, that would be ideal!

Separating is good too. There are sure a lot of ways to problem-solve!

Marcia in SC

I've heard of giving food coloring in one dog's food or water to stain their pee a distinctive color...might not be what you want on your carpet, though. :rolleyes:

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

I've heard of giving food coloring in one dog's food or water to stain their pee a distinctive color...might not be what you want on your carpet, though. :rolleyes:

I was going to say urine color. Shanti and Asti our the offenders in this house. If it is a dark yellow and hard to remove stain, it is Shanti. Asti's is much lighter and does not leave the same dark yellow mark. I can tell in the house and in the backyard. Any chance of that? It might be a grey vs. non-grey that gives me such a difference.

The Girls

Has anybody here tried this? If you have a lot of hounds you could end up with a very colorful house. :lol

Reetee leaves a very dark yellow to orange when she doesn't drink enough water. Now she drinks more so it's harder to tell which is hers. Her pH is always more alkaline than usual so the test strips still work well for that. Boy, is that dark stuff tough to clean up on carpeting!

I think the green and blue dyes are the worst -- or best -- for changing urine color. :lol:

Marcia in SC

Guest houndlover

Which brings me back to why I use urine test strips, either directly or on the "mistake." :colgate I've caught many a UTI and even a diabetes problem once by using urine tests strips just to check on them. It also saves a lot of $$ not having the vet do a urine test when you're just checking. A test strip costs about 80 cents; a urine test costs -- well, a whole lot more.

I once set up a video camera to try to catch a peeing culprit. It was so long and boring because nothing happened for 6 hours. Does anyone know of a device that will record only if someone moves in front of the camera? Now, that would be ideal!

Marcia in SC

I like the idea of using the urine strips and it easy to get a urine sample from the dogs but how do you get one from the cats? I always end up taking the cats to the vet if I think they are peeing in the house and I have the vet pull the urine b/c I still have NOT been able to get a urine sample on a cat.

Yes, they do have cameras that take a pic if something moves in front of it. They are generally used as hunting cameras. We have been using one in our search for Bear and it does take good pics.

Willing Webcam Lite:

http://www.willingsoftware.com/

"Motion Detection" feature. It's in the software, rather than hardware.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Marcia in SC

So on these urine strips, they actually tell you if the dog has a UTI? If so, I am banging my head on the wall asking how we didn't know about these much sooner?! They would be great for use with our foster dogs.

And yes to the video - you can actually get software that works with any old webcam. I just started to look into it b/c yes, watching 8 hrs of dog tv isn't really fun. The windows media player does low you to skip ahead though, which is what I do. I sort of "scan" for activity and then when I see someone in motion, I stop and let it play. Still, not the most fun.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks everyone.

Funny enough i tried the webcam, i downloaded a software that has motion detection, but wouldn't you know those were the days that noone peeed in the house!!! I swear they know.....

Separating them is an idea, however i have a small condo and my two are rather attached to each other and both prefer to sleep in the bedroom while i'm gone. I imagine i might bring on more pee....i'll have to think about that suggestion.

I love the urine strip idea, just have to figure out where to get them....

Food coloring is also an idea, i thought about that but wasn't sure if it would actually show up in the urine. Anyone tried it?

My biggest advantage is that the offender always pees in the same place, so i got some of the washable, reusable 'soaker' pads that they use in a hospital, easy cleanup.

thanks for all the ideas :)

I love the urine strip idea, just have to figure out where to get them....

eBay. Save a pile on having them done at the vet.

Food coloring is also an idea, i thought about that but wasn't sure if it would actually show up in the urine. Anyone tried it?

Nope. Otherwise, we humans would be peeing rainbows after every fancy birthday cake at the office, school, etc.

Methylene blue will turn the urine blue-green. It'll probably also be impossible to get the color out of the carpet. One of the newer drugs for Alzheimer's relies upon delivering methylene blue in a very precise fashion to the brain. One wonders what happens to patients who don't remember they're on the drug, discovering they're peeing green anew each day.

I believe phenolphthalein turns urine red, but the compound is also a laxative. They used to be available over-the-counter, but were pulled for fears the compound was carcinogenic when used over a long period of time.

Ethyl green (pretty much the same as methylene green) turns the urine dark green. Another probable carcinogen. Used in treating fish diseases in the aquarium setting.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I get my urine strips at Walmart. They order them for me and I get them in 2-3 days. I think it was 100 strips for $70-80 bucks the last time maybe a month ago. They will ask if you have a scrip but it's not necessary. They wind up just getting them for you. They also never heard of them; all they sell are strips that test urine glucose and/ketones. You'll have to spell it out and tell them it tests for 10 things. Some other types do less, like 6 or 8 things.

Check the expiry dates. Sometimes they're too old to use up in say, 3 months. But even if you only use 6 sticks, you'll still be ahead by not having vet urine checks done.

The parts of the strip that tests for UTIs are the nitrates and leukocyte sections on the top of those strips. Also the blood section will hint that there is a UTI or crystals. A high pH is another clue for a UTI. You still have to see your vet but if the strips are normal, you'll be less inclined to rush to the vet when the problem is likely behavioral or mechanical, not biochemical/medical.

Some food coloring will actually change the urine color. I read online that the coloring in green shakes from McDonalds and green beer can make urine green. I dunno how true that is, but I'll stick with urine sticks. :lol:

Marcia in SC

The dye that vets use for eye stains (to check for foreign bodies etc) will alter the colour of the urine. My vet made up some capsules for me when I was trying to figure out which of my girls was incontinent. Since the urine then stains, I used the capsules on my less-likely suspect.

I like the belly band and test strip ideas much better--cheaper and no stains :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I get my urine strips at Walmart. They order them for me and I get them in 2-3 days. I think it was 100 strips for $70-80 bucks the last time maybe a month ago.

A bottle of 100 type 10SG's with an expiration date >2 years from now will run you <$25 delivered off eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cole-Taylor-10-SG-Urin...emZ140265980581

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)