Has Anyone Seen This Before?

Guest LokisMom

Guest LokisMom

While petting Loki a few minutes ago, I noticed the white part of his eye was really red. It looks like blood, or like when a person has a burst blood vessel in their eye. We will call the vet in the morning but in the meantime, has anyone seen anything like this? What could it be? Is he okay?

P9010015.jpg

Edited by LokisMom

Yes that's blood, haven't ever seen it in my own, but could it be she smacked her head on something, like going through the door or even scratching it with her paw?

I think I'd get the vet to check it tomorrow.

Yeah, look how dialated her eye is...

Guest LokisMom

We looked and his other eye is as dilated as that one. It looked really dilated to me so I did check and they seem the same.

It is possible he smacked his head into something. He's a little clumsy most of the time and often whacks his head on stuff but usually doesn't actually hurt himself. I did not see him hit his head but it is a possibility. He was out in the yard a few minutes before I noticed it wandering through the low branches so I suppose one of those could have poked his eye?

ETA: Should we take him to the e-vet or do you think the regular vet in the morning is good enough?

Edited by LokisMom

Guest KennelMom

Are his eyes usually that dilated? Is he acting odd in any other way? Can you tell if his vision is being affected? (one way is to flick your fingers or hand at the eye and see if he flinches, but be careful not to generate too much wind when you flick)

Guest charmsmom

With the green cloudiness in her eyes, it looks a LOT like what Paris had a couple of weeks ago.

Pariseyes003.jpg

She had ulcerated corneas with infections in both eyes. OWWWW! Tobramycin drops plus Tramadol for four days.

Guest KennelMom
I would wait & take him to your own vet. It doesn't seem life threatening.

Unless he seems like he's in pain, we would probably do the same. You'll have to see your regular vet anyway. I always like to get a referral to an opthamologist to confirm any diagnosis a general vet makes on eyes.

Please keep us posted!! :hope :hope

Guest LokisMom

I don't think his eyes are normally this dilated. His pupils respond to light but he doesn't seem to be seeing quite as clearly out of that eye as normal but it does seem that he can see out of it, he just doesn't react as quickly as he does with the other eye.

I guess I will just try to stay calm and take him to our vet in the morning.

Thank you all for the responses.

Guest luvRgreys

Haven't seen this on a dog, but I work for an ophthalmologist and it looks like a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage, which is a broken blood vessel in the eye. Can happen in humans by, sneezing, coughing or nothing! No treatment for it and it doesn't hurt. Looks worse before it gets better, takes 2-3 weeks to clear up. BUT... I'm not a doctor and don't even play one on TV :colgate It's just my 2 cents worth.

Guest LindsaySF
The blood in the eye doesn't really concern me, it's how much his eyes are dilated. Since they are both that much, maybe it isn't an issue, but another vote for call the vet first thing in the morning to see if he needs to be seen.

Ditto.

Guest LokisMom

Well the first thing the vet said when he looked was "wow." That's never encouraging.

He gave us some eye drops and said it was probably swollen blood vessels and that a few of them may have popped. He thinks it is due to an allergic reaction to something. He gave us some steroid eye drops and said they should clear it up fairly quickly.

So it sounds like he is going to be okay and it is not too big a deal. It sure looked scary to a nervous mom!