Can I Give Casey Tums?

Guest houndlover

Guest houndlover

Casey is on Rimadyl for arthritis and it must be doing a number on his stomach. He was up at 5:30am licking his nose and panting. I let him out and he tried to throw up and was eating grass. He ate his breakfast this morning without a problem but I think that he must feel nausea (sp) as I know that is one of the side effects. Can I give him some tums and if so how much and how often? My vet isn't open today so I didn't know if anyone might have some suggestions.

As above! But please watch carefully as he may not able to tolerate the Rimydil at all. I might discuss this with the vet tomorrow.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Greensleeves

Ok, a few things:

1. Yes, you can give Tums. I'd go with one or two regular strength (nothing added, not the sugar-free, etc. Just plain ol' Tums.)

2. Pepcid seems to work better for nausea (at least around here). We've been using one 10mg pill every 24 hours on sick kids (which seems to settle most upset tummies), but our vet has actually prescribed a much higher dose for Nelly. Talk to your vet before trying that, tho'.

3. Get him off the Rimadyl. It's not worth the trade-off (horrible nausea in exchange for arthritis pain? Where's the win?). Rimadyl's been *great* for Nelly's arthritis, but it's not the right drug for all puppers. He might do better on Deramaxx or a non-NSAID pain reliever.

Good luck!

I second the "stop giving him Rimadyl" vote. My last dog had terrible arthritis, and he was on Tramadol which had few-to-no side effects.

Dermaxx gave my dog violent diarrhea, although some dogs tolerate it very well.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Greensleeves
Another choice is Pepto Bismol. That is also safe for puppers.

... But not so safe for carpets. :lol:blink: (one of the reasons we're big fans of Pepcid here.)

When we had Gunnar on Deramaxx for his arthritis, we were able to work him down to half a dose per day, and it still worked as well. It took time; we had to give him the full dose for a couple weeks, then we halved his dose. He still got tummy upsets, so we took him off the Deramaxx for a few days, and gave Pepcid to calm his stomach.

He did fine after that, and we had him on Deramaxx for several more months, until his cancer diagnosis, when we switched meds.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest houndlover

Thanks for the advice!I tried the Pepcid and it seemed to help. Casey ate all of his breakfast this morning and didn't get up once last nite. I will give him another Pepcid tonite and see how he is feeling tomorrow.