Goodbye For Now Dempsey

Guest HeatherDemps

Oh no :ohno Only just seeing this! :cry1 Not sweet Dempsey :weep I have been dreading this day. I have been following Dempsey's progress and smiling at all the little great things, especially since his amputation. I can't get the pictures you had professionally taken of you and him out of my mind - his smile was priceless, the love between you clear as day.

:crying:weep Heather I am so sorry. You did what was best for your lovely boy. That is what love is about, even when it hurts to let go.

Sending much love your way. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

:f_white:gh_run2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry :candle:grouphug

And yet I know those are just words and they are so inadequate.

Eight months ago you made a heroic decision on the chance that Dempsey wasn't through with this world yet, he still had things he needed to do. Your pictures of Dempsey after his amputation show a smiling and happy boy getting on with his life.

The final decision that we so often have to make is the hardest and most painful decision we could ever have to make, but it is also the most selfless. That final act of love is only made when we love these beautiful souls more then we love ourself.

I am so sorry for your loss. :candle:grouphug

Godspeed Dempsey, run with all the other angels. :gh_run

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

All our sympathy. Run free, Dempsey :f_red

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest HoustonGreys
:f_red Words are so very inadequate when trying to console someone with a loss of their baby. I believe as "Mothers" we are "fixers" by nature and when we can't "fix" it destroys a part of our heart. We do at least have the ability to release them with dignity and because we love them so much we relinquish our selfish desire to hold on and instead give them their life at the Bridge, free of pain and whole of body. That truly is our greatest gift to them. I loved your tribute and your title --- because it is only goodbye for now. Hugs and prayers to you as you adjust to life without Dempsey. I am so very sorry. :weep:candle

Guest 4baddogs

The best thing we do for them is always the hardest thing we do to ourselves.

May you find peace and comfort in knowing that you gave Dempsey a wonderul life and did what was best for him when he needed you to. ((Heather))

:cry1f_yellow I'm so sorry for the loss of your handsome Dempsey. :grouphug

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest Vinnie

Oh we are so so sorry - my heart breaks with yours as well - to let them go is the hardest thing in the world - knowing that you did everything you could to let him live his life to his fullest will help you in the time to come - especially when you keep second guessing and playing the what if game. We were always so excited to hear how well Dempsey was doing and that he was showing that horrible cancer that he was in charge of his body and not it. I know that our Angel Vinnie always watched over him and smiled and I am sure that they are up there smiling down and running free and whole now. The love you shared with him shined through in your stories and pictures and he was definitely a hero to us. I wish I could tell you the pain goes away but since I can't I will say that, in time, days will get better and your heart won't always be this shattered. You have everyone here to lean on, rant at or cry to - we are here no matter the time of day. Sending hugs and keeping you in our thoughts. Run free sweet Dempsey.

Guest CyndiW

Oh Heather, I am just now seeing this. I am so sorry for your loss. Dempsey was such a sweet and handsome boy and I always loved reading about him. Alex used to get so excited when he met other greyhounds so I am sure that he welcomed Dempsey with lots of tail wags and sniffs. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Heather, throughout this journey, you and Dempsey have been together every step of the way. It has always been clear that his safety and well-being were primary in the plan. I guess at some point, we all know that our hearts will be broken, but that doesn't make the fight any less important. What you did for, and with, Dempsey, from the very beginning, and in the end, you did out of love and compassion for your brave boy. You know that in your heart, but it can't really stop the pain you are feeling now, or fill that emptyness. I'm so sorry you are hurting so much, and I wish we could do something to help you through this most difficult time. Please know that he is in your heart forever because of the love you shared---that bond is unbreakable.

Sharing your sadness.

"Make yourself familiar with the angels, and behold them frequently in spirit, for without being seen, they are present with you."

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest tennesseegrey

My Rosie lost the same leg. Just a month ago she started having the exact same symptoms you discribed earlier this week. They found a tumor in her spine that was affecting her spinal cord. Her back feet were knuckling under and she couldn't stand on her legs. It came up so suddenly. The vet said they could attempt surgery but more than likely it wouldn't help. I believe you and I made the right decision for our babies. Perhaps they're playing, all 4 legs intact. My heart goes out to you, I know how painful it is. Time will heal, and I hope your heart heals soon. :f_red:bighug:gh_runner

Guest HersheysMom

Heather,

I am so sorry to hear about Dempsey. I've been following his treatments in the Health and Medical discussion, and am saddened to hear he had to leave you.

Please try not to second guess yourself.

Hershey was also 12 & a few months, he had cancer we treated with chemo, but we also had to let him go very suddenly one day and we also will never have a definite answer as to why he suddenly got so much worse. It's incredibly hard not to have those answers. Even though it was obvious it was his time, it didn't stop me from secondguessing myself later and thinking "what if." As humans, I think this is in our nature.

Don't second guess yourself, because doing so does nothing to honor Dempsey and his life. If Dempsey were to "judge" you, would he second guess your acts? Surely not! Thinking this way made me stop doing it, and begin to focus on remembering the life that Hershey had.

You were a great mom and always have had Dempsey's best interests at heart, and you were a wonderful caretaker to that boy. You couldn't have done one more thing for him. All dogs should be so lucky.

I'm so very sorry. :f_pink

Guest grey_dreams

It's always so hard to say goodbye. Don't second guess yourself. You and Dempsey shared so much life together and you can see from the photos how much he loved you. Run free sweet Dempsey.

I'm just seeing this now - I'm so, so sorry for your loss. You both fought the good fight and I know how hard it is to say goodbye. :grouphug :grouphug

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire